“2nd "annual" visit!”

Ranked #7 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“2nd "annual" visit!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is a go to place when heading to Tanglewood! The owner Dalija is a sweetheart! More than accommodating! The house has an eclectic homey feel. The porch is such a relaxing place! She added a wonderful solid roof to the porch this year. It's basically the common room for the house in the warm weather! We went back for our second year...a walk up the back entrance to Tanglewood - no traffic to deal with, and the luxury of borrowing Dalijas gardening wagon to tote our coolers & chairs up the road.
Dalijas knowledge of the area and referrals for dining are great! She even arranged our dinner reservations! (Rouge Restaurant-fabulous meal!)
Breakfast on the porch was lovely, homemade quiche with vegetables from her garden, or blueberry pancakes, fresh fruit salad, yogurt, warmed pastry and plenty of juice & coffee. (If your looking for spa like, sparse accommodations - this is not your kind of place) we went for R&R and got it....we'll be back next year!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AMM124

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

What a find! This sweet inn is perfect for me so I can attend Kripalu at the day rate and not stay in monastic conditions. Dalija (Dahlia) has a meticulous inn with an astounding veranda, garden, and yard. The guest parlor has fruit, wine, beer, soft drinks and a coffee machine. Dalija is super friendly--she even offered to pick me up in town (I chose to walk --15 mins). It's an easy walk to Kripalu and Tanglewood. My twin bed room has lots of things along the "antique doll" theme. Air conditioning unit-- yay! Dalija gave me a discount because I was alone and taking my breakfast at Kripalu. I will return here next time I'm in Lenox.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ArGeeEf
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights at this Inn which is owned and run by Dalia. She is a gem and did her best to accommodate our needs and wants. Her breakfasts are simple, but always include something with local fruit (which she has often picked). The best thing is that we were walking distance from the Tanglewood festival. On the Tuesday night of "Tanglewood on Parade" which was an all day event ending with the BSO and the Pops, plus fireworks, the park was jammed. After the fireworks, we were back at the Eastgate in less than 20 minutes while others were stuck in traffic. We'd stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cookiebob
New England
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Dalija (pronounced Dahlia - I mispronounced her name big time, but she is super gracious!!) is a wonderful hostess, gracious as I mentioned, warm, welcoming. Her B&B reflects her personality - gracious, warm, welcoming! The HUGE wrap around back porch and gardens, wow, very lovely - though you will be busy enjoying all that the Berkshires have to offer, try to spend time on this amazing porch. Sink into one of the overstuffed cushioned chairs, enjoy a glass of Dalija's wine, listen to the water from the fountain, immerse yourself in a book or meet some of the other guests and form friendships! As others have written, the proximity to Tanglewood of the Eastgate Inn B&B is impossible to actually imagine, and that alone, would make this B&B THE place to stay - but, no, come and stay for the charm and the coziness. Dalija is a font of information of the area, having been born and raised locally. She offered to sell us her season lawn tickets, which allowed us to go into the Weber Gate, the closest gate to the B&B - REALLY close, under a 10 min walk - she also lent us her wagon, so we loaded our chairs, cooler, blankets, etc onto it and with her season lawn tickets and her expert advice, we very quickly were on the lawn at Tanglewood, with a prime spot under a tree on the less 'populated' right side of The Shed.
We enjoyed our room, a queen bed room, very comfortable bed, full bath with a skylight in the bath, cable TV, free WiFi, appointed in an eclectic country cottage manner, delicious cookies in our room upon arrival. Breakfast in the morning which we enjoyed on the porch was very nice, super relaxing, not a hot breakfast - ie, no waffles or pancakes or omelettes, but very nice nonetheless. Keurig coffee, freshly prepared fruit salad with fresh mint from her garden - I witnessed Dalija leaving the kitchen and walking to her cutting garden, coming back with a sprig of fresh mint - hard boiled eggs, juice, gorgeous scones, her own muffins which fantastically had more fruit than batter, yogurts, warm cinnamon rolls and banana bread, all sorts of bagels and English muffins, lemon curd, gorgeous jam - and lots more!
We will definitely return to the Eastgate Inn B&B next summer. It is the perfect base for your Berkshire holiday.

Room Tip: Quiet B&B, I don't think you can go wrong!
Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lexmiller
Dracut
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Dalija's Eastgate Inn has the location you desire. Don't fight traffic, walk to Tanglewood with your picnic supplies! A cozy room and gracious host awaits. Book earlier before the word spreads about the optimum location of this small Lenox B&B.

Room Tip: We stayed in the King room. Great sleep! On-suite spacious bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John_DDracut
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Eastgate Inn was much more than I was hoping for during my trip to Tanglewood. There is no comparison to the value of location! The rooms and sitting areas are nicely decorated and I loved the little snacks,fruit, coffee, teas, etc. And everything is very healthy. There is a refrigerator and microwave available which came in handy for my leftovers from a local restaurant. The rooms are comfortable and bright. The yard, front and back are beautiful. The whole property is surrounded by tall, tall trees, so it feels qiet and secluded, yet is on the main road to Tanglewood. I walked straight down that road several times to see concerts. I could walk straight to and from the concerts. There is much to say about the place, but as you can tell from the other reviews, Dalija makes the stay there more than just a B&B stay. She truly goes out of her way to make everything she has and knows available to guests. I was very cold during the evening, and she even let me borrow a coat for the evening, in case I needed it. She's very resourceful at insider suggestions and hints and shortcuts that can save a lot of time. I had was that I wish I had stayed there on m previous trips to Tanglewood!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank rjjrbe
Manila PHP
Reviewed 22 August 2012

As a solo traveler this time (since my husband could not join me on the Tanglewood leg of our US trip) and as a first-timer to the Tanglewood Music Festival, I was most pleased that Dalija Merritt, the owner of Eastgate Inn B&B, graciously arranged for my pick-up (for a reasonable fee) from the Albany airport (a little over an hour’s drive from Eastgate Inn). Dalija also offered me a lift to Lenox town centre on a Wednesday when I was able to catch two plays and a guided backstage tour at Shakespeare and Company, as well as attend the same day's performance of dramatic readings at the terrace of Edith Wharton’s Mount --- two places well worth visiting when you are in the Lenox area! On another afternoon when was going to Stockbridge, Dalija also let me ride with her to the Norman Rockwell Museum; during the drive, she was most helpful, pointing out the many sights along the way and giving recommendations on activities, transport and spots to visit. With Dalija’s caring and personalized attention, her Inn surely felt like a comfortable home away from home! She offers her umbrella, free use of her phone for calls within US/Canada, a bike if you will, plus all the nice little touches that make a difference. The rooms and toilets/bath are newly renovated and clean; pleasantly, the toilet/bath in my room even had a sunroof to make the day brighter!

Dalija’s continental breakfasts (served at the Inn’s patio overlooking a lovely garden) were generous and filling. So, on most days when I wanted to catch as many concerts, sessions and talks in Tanglewood, I usually just opted to grab simple lunch/dinner items at the Café in Tanglewood. (Restaurants in Lenox town centre in the other direction were a 20-to-25-minute walk from the Inn).

The inn is THE most accessible to/from Tanglewood! So easy a walk to Tanglewood's Harding gate which is the first gate you arrive at, coming from Eastgate Inn B&B!

Since I do not bike, I walked to and from Tanglewood during my weeklong stay, so I liked the fact that the sidewalk was along the West Street side of Eastgate Inn B&B and Tanglewood’s (Main, East or Harding) gates. (There was no sidewalk on the opposite lane of West Street.) That way it was a safer walk and I did not have to cross West Street. No uphill climbs either between the Inn and Tanglewood!

Do bring a flashlight if you are walking back to the Inn from Tanglewood after a weekday evening concert at Tanglewood's Ozawa Hall where attendance may be less and therefore cars on the road may be fewer and the street quite dark; Dalija will be willing to lend you her flashlight. However, after the more heavily-attended evening concerts at Tanglewood’s Koussevitzky Shed (the main and bigger concert venue), like the traditional annual “Tanglewood on Parade” and the Friday/Saturday evening concerts at the Shed, walking back to the Inn is pleasant, even late at night, since there are many cars along the road with the heavy after-concert traffic.

What a blessing it was to have discovered Eastgate Inn B&B as my base for an in-depth Tanglewood experience! Truly a delight!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank MC8_2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#8 of 16 in Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 19 in Lenox

Been to Eastgate Inn B&B? Share your experiences!