“Making plans for a return trip this year”

Chesapeake Inn of Lenox
Ranked #17 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
Storrs, Connecticut
“Making plans for a return trip this year”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Stayed with John at the Inn last year, and am currently making plans to return this year. John cheerily accomodated my dietary requests, the Inn is in a fantastic location with relation to Tanglewood, I was able to pop onto the wireless when I had to attend to a "crisis" from work, and I absolutely LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the peace and tranquility of the heated lap pool. (What a luxury --> It rates way above 5 stars in my opinion). I found the Inn, and my room in particular to be neat and clean and I appreciated that there were always plenty of pools towels at hand. Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Donna S

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Miami
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Being a music critic, I spend a lot of time at Tanglewood, the Boston Symphony's wonderful summer festival in the Berkshires. For convenience, comfort and privacy, the Chesapeake Inn can not be beat. Located almost across the street from the Tanglewood campus, the inn is wonderfully rustic and charming. The innkeeper John makes a cooked to order breakfast everyday. You just write down what you want for breakfast the night before and John shops and buys fresh food every morning. There is no set time for breakfast. You can have it any time you want, even in the afternoon. There is an inviting lap pool and John has a barbecue every Saturday night on the house for his guests if you do not feel like taking on the restaurant traffic on that busiest night of the week prior to a Tanglewood concert or theater performance. John goes out of the way to meet his guests' needs and see to it that they have a comfortable, relaxing stay. With its great location and warm, friendly ambience, the Chesapeake Inn is your best pick for Tanglewood.

Room Tip: Each of the rooms are different. When you call John, he can describe each one for you.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank LawrenceEB
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 July 2012

For the past three years, we have enjoyed staying at the Chesapeake when visiting Lenox to see James Taylor and the Boston Pops during their July appearances. No other Inn is closer to Tanglewood, and the convenience of walking to the park is worth the stay alone. We love "our" Innkeeper John, and can't say enough about his hospitality and willingness to go out of his way to accommodate our needs. John has coordinated with the box office to obtain concert seats exactly where we prefer to sit, eliminating that hassle and frustration for us, and the "whatever you want-whenever you want it" breakfast is terrific. The Inn is humble in its wooded setting and not gussied up with antiques and too much "stuff" (the type of environment that makes one of us dislike staying at the typical B&B), making it a great value by comparison to other Lenox lodging during the season. The result is a rustic, casual and comfortable experience that's exactly right for us. And when we're not out and about, we're content to lounge by the pool-a bonus during this year's heat wave. Thanks for another wonderful stay, John, we'll see you again next year!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LegalGirlCT
ChesapeakeInn, Owner at Chesapeake Inn of Lenox, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Chesapeake Inn is a Tanglewood Business Partner. This provides us with access to tickets before they go on sale to the general public (usually 6 – 8 weeks). We extend this opportunity to our guests. Our pool is available to our guests 24 hours/day.
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I had a fantastic long weekend stay at the Chesapeake Inn of Lenox. The facility was super clean and John Sporck, the innkeeper, was a great host. Just steps away from Tanglewood made it real easy to enjoy the events for a weary traveler. The breakfasts were terric. I had my favorite, smoked salmon on a bagel, which is a rather expensive item for a B&B to serve. Enjoyed John's Saturday evening chicken BBQ, and that we were able to avoid waits at local area restaurans before the concert. I wholeheartedly would recommend The Chesapeake to everyone.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank L B
This review illustrates our efforts to cater to each guest’s needs, wants, and desires. We shop each morning to be able to serve each guest a breakfast according to his individual order.
Connecticut
Reviewed 17 July 2012

If you're in Lenox, and especially if you're there to see a show at Tanglewood, this is the place to stay. John, the innkeeper, goes out of his way to make sure your stay is pleasant. The rooms are cozy and bright, and it's within trail-pleasing, walking distance of Tanglewood.

In addition to John's flexibility, graciousness, and enthusiasm, one of the things we love most is breakfast. Most inns have a set menu at a set time. At Chesapeake, you let John know what you would like to eat and he'll cook to order whenever you come downstairs.

We highly recommend this inn.

Room Tip: John can let you know which rooms are bigger, more private, etc. Just ask. :-)
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DMarieTM
Our approach is customized for each guest. We’ve served breakfast as early as 4:30am and as late as 2:00pm. We search for add-ons that create value for our guests.
New Hampshire
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We spent one night at this B&B,while going to Tanglewood, which is within walking distance.
There was a whole wall of spider webs and dead spiders behind the bathroom door.
The place needs a good, thorough cleaning and scrubbing.. Very musty ordor on the first floor.
There are a couple of positives, including a nice heated lap pool in the back yard, and a
made-to-order breakfast. But frankly, we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dontforget2
, Owner at Chesapeake Inn of Lenox, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
First of all, I regret that these guests did not have the best possible experience. As we say, we are only satisfied when guests are happy and want to return. Clearly something went wrong in this situation. Exactly what, I am still not sure.

When I first saw this review I was dumbfounded, as these guests never mentioned either of these problems while here. Certainly the spider issue could have been resolved in a couple of minutes. I then thought it best to wait 24 hours before doing anything, to avoid acting rashly.

Then I emailed the guest and asked that he call me at his convenience to discuss. This was done at 0749 on July 9. He read the email at 6:37 (as reported by readnotify.com) the same evening. He still (8:09pm on July 10) has not called or emailed.

I was raised to have the courtesy to first discuss with someone the issue when there is a problem. That is why I hoped the guest would call. But lacking that communication, I have to respond to the general public.

I do not deny that spiders (typical long-legs) sometimes make there way into the house. It is the country, and they can appear in only a couple of hours. It is virtually impossible to keep them away all the time.

But to say that the there was a WHOLE wall of spider webs and dead spiders behind the bathroom door is a wee bit of an exaggeration. Guests occupied the same room the day before and the day after without observing this. And again, I certainly would have removed anything undesirable if I had only been told of the situation.

Allow me to describe our typical housekeeping ritual:

When a guest departs, we check the bed linens for soiling even before stripping the bed. This facilitates the inspection. If detergent and stain removers will not remedy a soiled spot, that linen is removed from service.

While the bedding and other linens are being laundered the room is cleaned. This includes:
dry mopping the floor and wet mopping as needed
dusting pictures frames, the tops of doorframes, lamps and lampshades
cleaning flat surfaces on bureau's and nightstands
washing the basin and toilet with a disinfectant
drying the shower enclosure and removing any soap scum
replenishing consumables as bath soap, hand soap, toilet paper, tissues, paper cups
washing the bathroom floor with a disinfectant
remake the bed
attend the cut flowers as required
check for the room key and the next day's menus
make the bed
vacuum the floor

While there are a lot of specific tasks, the process is not complicated. But it is critical to maintain everything in the best possible condition. Getting behind it to be avoided at whatever cost.

I am totally perplexed by the reference to a "musty odor". Neither I, nor any of our other guests, could detect this. Perhaps it was from the soil of our numerous plants?

In general the normal comment about the inn's cleanliness is: How do you manage to keep it so clean? It is work, but our guests deserve no less.

By the way, this guest did favorably mention the breakfast. We shop every morning (usually at about 5:30 - 6:00) for each day according to what each guest wants.

Whenever guests are present I make myself available 24/7 to attend to any issues. There is even a telephone number posted so I can be reached if I'm not in the immediate vicinity, such as vacuuming the pool. I don't pretend that everything is perfect 100% of the time. But I do maintain that if a problem is known, it will be resolved.
Scituate, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Immediately upon stepping through the door, the smell of must and mildew engulfed us. A board walk leading to the main door is in such disrepair that I actually tripped on it, and branches and tree limbs overhang the walkway . . .one has to duck and dodge to get to the door. The furnishings were of poor quality and linens and curtains, extremely dated. It is not the type of Inn where one sits around in the common areas reading or socializing, the musty odor prevents one from wanting to be in the house at all. We sat outside by the pool (we didn't go in the pool) on a cloudy day until it began to rain, just to avoid going indoors. John, the Innkeeper, was very pleasant and helpful. Cancellation policy is 2 months--even when the Governor issues a State of Emergency due to a hurricane. Location to Tanglewood is good, but the price is exorbitant, particularly given the condition of the facility.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple