“Nice place for lunch”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Over the years we have had lunch at this location with a friend whenever my wife and I have visited Lenox in the summer. It was formerly Jonathan's Bistro. Our friend suggested we meet here while I was on a visit last weekend for a class reunion as she had had some good experiences dining since the change. Under new ownership as Kitchen on the Commons it is a different restaurant yet is still a very nice place to have lunch. While I noted in some of the reviews listed below that people have had varying experiences dining at this new restaurant, we seemed to have hit the place on a good day and perhaps some of the start up issues have been addressed and solved. The food was very good and the service was prompt and courteous. The atmosphere was pleasant and quiet. I would certainly recommend it as worth a try and I will look forward to returning for lunch next summer. Good location off the Pittsfield Lenox road as well, though it's tucked away and somewhat hidden yet worth finding.

1  Thank jlkdhk

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I am eating a wonderful breakfast of eggs with fresh spinach and sauteed garlic on the side. Have been here once a week for the past month and love it. Very tasty. Food is presented quickly and hot with plenty of coffee refills. The waitstaff is very attentive but not hovering. A landscape surrounded deck with awning for outside seating or booths and tables inside. Very clean and contemporary feel. Prices are very reasonable for Lenox area. Husband came for lunch with co-workers and they were very impressed with the sandwiches, upscale decor and reasonable prices. Good, strong coffee, tasty food, pleasing decor, and good background music (BB King followed by Dion and the Belmonts, old rock and blues).
Tucked away in The Commons and a little hard to find but worth the trouble.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Breakfast/lunch venues are becoming very popular in mid and south Berkshire County. My first experience was with Otto's in Lee, which I still consider high on the list, but their physical location makes it difficult for people with mobility issues. It's not the fault of Otto's, just their Main Street location (inclined street with high curbs) can be daunting for some. Also, there are steps that need to be negotiated to get into the place. All negatives for folks with canes, etc. (They could improve the handrails going up the steps...it would help a bit). But I'm getting off point.
KOTC, as it is known, is located where Jonathan's Bistro had been in the Lenox Commons Center (aka the Chocolate Springs place).There is ample on-site parking and a ramp for easy access.
The menu is more varied than their competitor Havens in Great Barrington and Lenox, and their prices are lower. We had the Mediterranean Plate which consisted of two very tasty triangles of spanakopita, a dish of assorted olives, likewise a dish of hummus and assorted baby greens nicely dressed. No bread or pita was offered so I was a little puzzled about the dish of hummus. I dipped the greens in it. We also had their vegan version of a BLT on gluten-free bread. They used tempeh bacon which was a first for me and it was quite good. My wife thought it was real bacon. Service was prompt and cheerful, with trips back to the table to make sure everything was alright. My only complaint is that the inside can be very noisy. Ceilings are high and walls are bare, and there is an open kitchen opposite the counter, so the clattering of dishes can be a bit much. Outside seating is available. We will be back many more times to try some of the delicious sounding items on their menu.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

The Kitchen is a new restaurant , kind of easy to miss. Look for the commons on rte 20/7 and Jae's restaurant sign. We ate breakfast here twice as my husband loved it and the low prices. I thought the coffee had a not burnt taste to it. I am a coffee lover and could not drink this coffee. The corned beef hash, a dish I love and can't find in many restaurants, was dry and tasteless, screaming for some onion( it was just mashed beef and a sprinkling of potatoes) Eggs were fine, pancakes not special. Servers were lovely but kitchen excruciatingly slow. Waited forever for our food.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have worked in the restaurant industry for 16 years. I was exicited to hear that The Kitchen On The Commons was arriving.

After multiple visits, trying many different menu items, and with much patience, I have yet to receive the proper order. Each time there has been some sort of "mix-up". Ie. Cold food, things that we hadn't ordered appearing or things we have ordered lacking.

Being a chef and being very understanding of new places finding there groove, we gave them ample time and patience only to be continually disappointed.

The straw that broke the camels back was at our most recent visit. After receiving the wrong order, yet again, Laura Shack, the owner, came over to tell us that "we" had gotten it wrong. Being made wrong by the owner is not a formula for success. This was our last attempt.

If you are looking for a great breakfast and lunch joint in Lenox, check out "Electra's Cafe" on rte 7.

2  Thank pastrygirl2013