“Pretty, traditional red sauce Italian family restaurant”

Trattoria Il Vesuvio
Ranked #21 of 60 Restaurants in Lenox
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Good quality dishes at reasonable prices. Very large portions. On busy nights, service (kitchen) can be slow, but staff is pleasant and accommodating. In high seasons suggest going a bit early or late to avoid the 7-7:30 crush. Food reminded us of better traditional Italian restaurants we were used to in NYC suburbs.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Most good restaurants in Lenox are crowded at pre-theater or concert time. We should have realized that a half empty dining room was a warning sign when we visited this spot recently. The barn-like atmosphere is excellent with a plaster and wood beam trim. The service was exceptional, very speedy and professional after we told them we had to be out early for theater. It's the food that didn't meet the quality of the atmosphere or the service. We both had francaise dishes; my wife's was chicken and mine was sole. Both had a liberal sprinkling of garlic. I've never seen that in a francaise sauce. Aside from the garlic, the meat and the fish were well prepared. The bread was kind of mealy and I was surprised we had to ask for olive oil to go with it.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Best Italian food restaurant in our area. Been there several times , good food
and polite service . Portions too large and check out takes too long.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is up there as one of the best Italian restaurants around the Berkshire area. Very professional wait staff, cool atmosphere inside, pleasant but not overly fancy. I think the food is amazing here, try it out. I agree with another reviewer here too though in that you need to check reservations carefully, tanglewood attracts many, long waits may be expected. In my opinion it's worth it

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I see that others have had a great experience there but we did not. We had reservations for three and were there even a bit early. The wine, bread and salad came promptly and we ordered our entrees. ONE HOUR later we received our main meals.We did say that there was no rush but, really? About 30 min. into this wait, the waiter said that my lasagna took longer to prepare. I said I really didn't need lasagna but I guess changing wasn't an option! He did come periodically to apologize for the wait. When the meal finally came, the others' entrees were dry and not appetizing. The lasagna was hot and delicious but still...

There were two huge parties. I honestly don't think they should have taken our reservation in the first place unless they had more cooking help. This may be an anomaly but just check and see how busy it's going to be before you commit to going. The waiter tried his best but should have told me in the beginning that there would be a wait for the lasagna. Again, this experience might have been an anomaly for an otherwise good restaurant.

1  Thank Mary G