“Great red sauce”

Price range: US$9 - US$39
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We have Italian cuisine, steaks, seafood, vegetarian, and children menu. We have outdoor dinning in the summer months.
MA
“Great red sauce”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I usually don't review restaurants near my home town, for fear the tourists will take over and I won't get a table. But, Prime deserves this review. We went on a snowy Saturday. I dropped my elderly mom at the door, a nice gentlemen, owner maybe, came right outside and escorted her up the stairs. Impressive. I had a lovely glass of Don&Sons Pinot noir ($12, but less expensive wine is available) and mom had a southern comfort old fashioned made to perfection. We split a Caesar salad ($12) and are some very good homemade Italian bread. I chose a dinner special, 16 oz veal chop and asked to substitute potato and veg for a side of linguine with their amazing marinara ($42) Rich, slightly sweet, tomato-ey, yummy. Veal chop was grilled, slight char on the outside, perfectly seasoned. Mom ordered a chicken and pasta dish with rigatoni, artichokes, broccoli, and mushrooms. She liked it but the menu doesn't mention mushrooms so she had to pick them out since she is a hater. Her dish was $21, I think, I could be mistaken. Other things I have eaten here include the ribeye ($32) and chicken and eggplant sorrento (or is it sorrentino?), both were amazing.. They offer chicken and veal done in cacciatore, Marsala, parmigiana ($20 range) and a few others I don't remember. Pasta dishes are available in half orders at about $13, so that is a good value. We received great service. Opted out of dessert, but they had cannoli, tiramisu, mango cheesecake, chocolate lava cake and biscotti. Two minor drawbacks, it was vey noisy since it was a three day weekend and everyone seemed to have their kids with them (not exactly what I picture for kid friendly, I would leave mine at home if I had them.) and there was a table at the far end with ten kids under ten who didn't use indoor voices. They have these great private booths with smoke glass, call early and reserve one, super romantic and cool, and will be quiet. Ask for a table away from the door when it's cold, very breezy when people come in or out. Good martini list and trendy bar area. Service with a smile. I can't wait to go back. Total check was $96, but worth it.

Visited January 2014

“A true Italian experience!”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Some locals told us we had to go and we were not disappointed. Modern cuisine with an old world taste. A must try! The owner was welcoming and still passionate about his food after many years as a restaurateur.

Visited December 2013
Bay Shore, New York
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I returned to Prime, remembering a lovely dinner we had on its' patio about 5 years ago. This time we sat inside which is an entirely different experience. The dining room is configured in such a manner so that unless you are in one of the private rooms centered on the middle of it, you always get a closed in experience. The service was average and the waitress seemed unsure of herself. The food was mediocre, a not at all tender veal osso buco and a monk fish over pasta simply swimming in a sauce that drowned it out. It was a very disappointing evening.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Ben C
“Best Dinner in Lenox!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were disappointed by the lack of good restaurants in Lenox, but thrilled to find Prime before we left. A beautiful, upscale venue to enjoy delicious Italian homecooking! We especially enjoyed the warm and friendly atmosphere, and the superb food served by friendly and personable staff. Speaking with Prime's owner, we enjoyed hearing about the restaurant's long history in Lenox and its family lineage. We hope for its continued success and hope to return to enjoy another excellent dinner there.

Visited September 2013
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Could have been a perfect dinner”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I know our server will never forget our visit to prime steakhouse. To be honest she was way to good a server to be working here. The server handled our issue very well considering. We are challenged by confusing diets and memory issues. It took nearly 20 minutes to decide what we all wanted. The menu was confusing and i don't really know how to explain it but the pricing on the menu made it extremely difficult to decide. After completing our order our server was told to inform us she would be unable to make the substitution the way we wanted. And turns out she was unable to make any of the substitutions we needed. We ultimately decided that we won't be returning to this restaurant. We did comment that to the server and the message certainly made it to the manager or owner (we will never know which). No owner or manager came to apologize for the inconvenience. Also, and we didn't bother asking, for a group of 6 (5 adult and 1 child) they added a 20% gratuity. I've never seen this done before. Our intent was to give 20% before seeing the check (Our math would have rounded to a number easily divided by 5 giving a better tip) But i almost feel they did this because they were concerned about being stiffed. 18% is the standard gratuity added for groups. It was insulting. Most waitresses would buckle under the pressure that we ultimately put her under. Did i mention she was fantastic?

As for the food. Mostly good, actually really good minus the vegetable. We've gone here many times, never experienced this before. Though i have gone home thinking my meal just wasn't filling enough. In conclusion, we are upset about the additional complications that led to a conclusion that we won't return.

• Visited September 2013