“Very Comfortable”

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Lenox
Northfield, Massachusetts, United States
“Very Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I have traveled all along the eastern part of the country and have stayed in many motels. This was very quaint, inexpensive and most important of all very comfortable for my short stay. It was a very good value and suited my needs for a quick weekend getaway. It was central to all the great atrractions and the owners were great. I was there at the same time a young couple were off to a wedding and the car would not start. I was thinking of offering a ride, bujt did not know the area really well and was a little timid. Before I got a chance to make the offer the owners helped out the young couple. I enjoyed my stay and felt very safe in this environment. The room was clean and I got a good night's sleep which doesn't always happoen in a motel. There was nothing fancy, but almost felt like home for the two nights i stayed. Not bad considering I paid for two nights much less than I would have thought possible...less than I paid for one night in other places where my comfort was an issue. I also enjoyed sitting out at the picnic tables in the back enjoying my coffee.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mary L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

My fiance and I were traveling out to Lenox, MA, from Boston for our friends' wedding. Clearly, it was an important occasion, but what made it even more important was that my fiance had the duty of playing solo guitar for the wedding ceremony.

We booked a room at the Wagon Wheel because, although it was right across the street from the hotel where most wedding guests were staying, it was much more inexpensive.
The woman who greeted us was very polite and we quickly got checked in. This is not a super fancy hotel, but the motel room was very neat and clean, complete with a fridge (gotta have cold snacks and beer on vacation!) and a microwave. It was quiet and we had a ton of privacy.

Hours after check-in, we got ready for the wedding, tuned up the guitars, and headed out to the car to drive to the ceremony. Our Jeep wouldn't start!! My fiance tried and tried to get the car to turn over while I frantically called friends, family and taxis for a ride. To no avail, I even called a nearby limo service. No one was available to drive us and we had to be at the church in ten minutes! The owner of the motel, who had just pulled into the parking lot, saw us struggling and asked if we needed a ride!
Not only did this nice man give a ride to complete strangers, but also he offered to come back to get us if need be. On top of it all, the next day after we had already checked out, he let us store our expensive music equipment in one of the rooms until the tow truck picked up the Jeep and our ride arrived.
Amazing. I definitely recommend this place for anyone staying in the Lenox area.

Room Tip: if you want to have more privacy and get away from the main street, book room 12 or 14
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ann M
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

The clerk at check-in was professional. The room was mostly clean. There was mold starting to grow on the shower curtain. For a one-night stay it was fine. The room was very small. Old appliances. An even older TV. We stayed in a room with two double beds which was situated towards the back of the property so we didn't hear the traffic.There were numerous "unsavory" characters staying there. I felt uncomfortable and made sure the windows were locked and even put a chair and the cooler in front of the door. The WiFi was slow. It was okay for what we paid. We paid $55 including tax.

Room Tip: Ask for a double room in the back.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pocque
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

For $50 and the name "wagon wheel, with a white cement horse out front, we were sceptical ... I have never stayed in a motel this "cheap"... but after reading trip advisor reviews we decided to give it a try.

It was fine...room was clean, king size bed was very comfortable. TV was old..but had cable, -- nothing fancy. Staff was friendly ... I went to the small office for coffee a little late, the manager said he would brew me some...called my room it 5 minutes for coffee. Next door is a very good Irish pub and some shopping across street and a wine store within a block.

We would stay again... a great stop-over on a trip.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry H
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

When I was looking for a room in the area, I was astonished at the expensive rates at similar hotels in the vicinity. The Wagon Wheel was 60 dollars, and was incredibly worth the cost. The room we got (king size) was well cleaned, nicely furnished and exactly what we were looking for. The hotel is very close to several restaurants within walking distance, close to attractions like Arrowhead, The Mount, et cetera as well as Pittsfield and southern Berkshire County. If you looking for pomp and frills you probably won't like this hotel - but it's a terrific place for a good deal.

Room Tip: Rooms not adjacent to the bar and grill next door are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AmandaW601
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

We were a little skeptical when we drove up to this motel. It is right on the road and seems dated. Our room was extremely clean, nicely furnished and very comfortable beds. Everything was in good repair. The family owners were warm,friendly and welcoming. The free coffee in the lobby included dunkin donuts munchkins. Our room was in the rear section, which was lovely. The large grassy area had a few picnic tables and was great for early morning coffee. I would not hesitate to stay here again. We left smiling.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

OK, maybe the location is wonderful, for all the Berkshire sights and sounds. But, it is a really down and out motel from the old days. Complete with a replica of Roy Roger's horse in the front.... well, maybe it wasn't Trigger, but it could have been. There is fresh paint around the place. The clientele seem to working stiffs and cheap vacationers. This is the sort of motel that often houses "homeless" people... but, I saw little evidence of that sort of thing. The rooms were clean and tacky decor abounds. Even though it is on a major thoroughfare... the room we had at the back wasn't noisy. I would be cautious with security issues. Use your common sense.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Lenox Pittsfield
Days Inn - Lenox MA
Days Inn - Lenox MA
#8 of 14 in Lenox

Been to Wagon Wheel Motel? Share your experiences!