“The best B&B near Tanglewood!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Apple Tree Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lenox
Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #11 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“The best B&B near Tanglewood!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

This was our first stay at the Apple Tree Inn and it was great! The owners went out of their way for us, giving helpful advice and directions on places to visit. The inn is beautifully furnished - there is always coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. waiting for those who want it, lending to the relaxed atmosphere. The breakfast was ample and leisurely with no one rushing us out. The views from the inn are incredible overlooking Stockbridge Bowl and nearby Tanglewood. Our room was spotless and quiet and the shower worked very well. There is no television in the room but it was not needed. Tanglewood is a 5 minutes walk. We went for a hike on the nearby mountain. The beautiful Kripalu grounds are across the street. We also had a wonderful dinner on the Porch. It was beautiful and delicious.
We heartily recommend this inn.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main house if you can.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yudi_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Carlisle, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

The Apple Tree Inn has the perfect combination for a visit to the Berkshires: charming facility, beautiful views and convenient access to the region. The rooms in the main house are quaintly furnished but very functional. The drawing room is a spacious, comfortable place to linger. You can have breakfast or dinner on the porch that looks out over the trees to the distant hills. The Apple Tree sits on a hill itself and from the pool area there are great lines of sight. Tanglewood is, essentially, at the bottom of their hill, a short walk for a program and one that avoids all the hassles of parking and traffic, It is a short drive into the center of Lenox and not much of one to Stockbridge. The staff is friendly and can help with any plans you might have in the area. We have been coming to the Inn for eight years and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jdarr
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

The tone for our stay was set when we arrived at the front desk to observe the Master of the House treating his desk clerk with condescension and rudeness. Because of his dour demeanor and very informal dress we initially mistook him for a handyman. It was only later when we found it necessary to negotiate with him for a better room than the darkened claustrophobic chamber we have been assigned, that we came to realize that this Dickensian figure was one of the owners During our three day stay, we never saw him smile or greet anyone in a welcoming manner.
We ended up paying about $300 per night, $70.00 more per night for an airier larger room. It was late in the day, we were tired from our travels and we had an event to attend that evening. In our extensive travels we had never met a highwayman.
There was no one to help us with our luggage. We struggled up a full flight of stairs to a room where we discovered the following features- a stopped up sink, leaking faucets, a very noisy inadequate air conditioner, no TV, one small closet, lighting so dim we could not read by it (we ended up buying and changing some of the bulbs for incandescent 75 watts) a toilet seat yellow brown with age which rocked on its moorings, and rotted boards at one end of the bathroom floor. Since there was only one egress from our room which was part of a labyrinth on the second floor we also had some concerns about our safety should we need to evacuate our room quickly. There appeared to be detectors and a sprinkler system but we did not have great confidence in their effectiveness.
The room was clean, the bed quite comfortable, the wall paper decorative, the furnishings as advertised late Victorian and interesting, The included continental breakfast was ample, the staff pleasant and attentive ,our one dining experience there, mediocre.
The common rooms are large and reasonably attractive.
The hotel is conveniently located for area attractions and set on beautiful grounds.
At the prices advertised for other seasons, as little as $85, one might be willing to put up with the obvious short comings, but our expectations were greater.
Be careful on the front brick steps, they are in disrepair and look like they could crumble at any minute.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Commonsense8
Port Dover, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

I chose to arrive in Lenox a day earlier than my program at Kripalu in order to have some time to relax after the long drive from Ontario.
Having read previous reviews about the Lodge being damp & mildewy I decided to pay the extra & stay in the main building.
It was really lovely. Kripalu is right across the road and Lenox is very accessible - a few minutes by car or a nice walk.
The views from the Inn are excellent, the decor quaint & very welcoming.
I arrived late in the afternoon and appointed a comfortable clean room on the 2nd floor. The room had heat & air conditioning which both worked and a claw foot tub that was spotlessly clean.
I was left to my own resources however to find a place for dinner. After wandering around Lenox (lovely little town) I found a nice little shop & picked up a bottle of wine (for a soak in the tub later) and found a nice spot for dinner.
The staff was accommodating by providing a wine glass for me & had no issue with me sitting on the deck with my wine and my book in the evening.
There were chipmunks, bunnies & wild turkeys strutting around - very peaceful.
A simple breakfast spread was set up in the morning an extra charge for a hot breakfast. I ordered scrambled eggs, & received just that - eggs for $4.00 (no toast, nothing else at all)
Upon my departure I asked about the issues with dampness in the lodge & was advised that rooms on the upper south side tend to be free of issues, so I may try that next time.
Yes, I'll visit again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Falmouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I booked a last minute 2 night stay at the Apple Tree Inn in order to attend a seminar at Kripalu. There was no lodging space available at Kripalu and the proximity of this inn made it a good second choice. Unfortunately the speaker I wanted to see cancelled the seminar 2 days before the scheduled start date. Kripalu refunded my fee entirely. The owner of Apple Tree was not as gracious. Even though my reservation at her Inn had been booked for less than 36 hours, she kept $25 of my deposit as a cancellation fee and will keep the remainder ($55) to be used only as a credit towards a future stay. So this will essentially be a waste of $80 as I am unlikely to stay there for any reason other than a Kripalu seminar and would normally try to stay on-site at Kripalu. This reservation was unusual due to the last minute booking.
As a CPA I can understand that the owner's business was negatively impacted by this cancellation, however, I believe the negative goodwill associated with this charge far outweighs the short term business loss. I feel as if I was charged $80 to have a reservation for 36 hr plus the disappointment of my seminar cancellation. The Inn owner is the only one that benefited from the cancellation and she didnt even have the courtesy to contact me directly. Instead I could only talk to a manager or via email. I consider this poor customer service and will stay at Kripalu or Ironwood Inn for my next seminar.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank M M T
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to a stay at Kripalu, extending our retreat while adding only moderate expense. The inn is a bit slapdash and the service haphazard, but in all it's much more atmospheric and spacious than Kripalu's dorm-like rooms. The cold buffet breakfast was tasty, and while one might resent paying extra for hot food, I appreciated that this was a way to keep room charges down by not subsidizing egg-eaters. We were in the main house (at the suggestion of another reviewer, who warned against the mildewy lodge), Room #15, which is on the 3rd floor. How wise it was to add a skylight to the slanted eaves, which might otherwise have felt claustrophobic! Charming floral decor without becoming cloying.

Here's why I don't give it an excellent rating: First, there was no porch light on, making for a precarious entry to the place (although allowing us to enjoy the velvet darkness and glittering stars of the Berkshire winter). Second, there was no recommendation for a dinner spot in Lenox. Third, we got up for the 8 am breakfast we were told would await us, only to be told that it would start at 9, and then later this was retracted but it started at 9 anyway. Fourth, when we asked for green tea bags we were told that there weren't any, but after we drank our distant second favorite, green tea was produced. So you see why I say slapdash and haphazard.

Nonetheless, it might be nice to try the place for a day or two in the summer to use the pool and walk over to Tanglewood. The location can't be beat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ISyzigi
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed here while visiting the nearby Kripalu Yoga Center. This is a great option if you're getting a daypass and don't qualify for lodging at Kripalu or if you're coming with friends/a partner and want a cheaper and MUCH nicer housing option than Kripalu offers.

It is definitely less convenient than staying at Kripalu itself since it's a good 10 minute walk so you can't just run back to your room to get something. On the other hand, during off-peak times you're paying much less for the accommodations by staying at the Apple Tree Inn and you're getting a way better place to stay. Kripalu doesn't have air conditioning, a pool, or super comfy beds, but the Apple Tree Inn has all of the above. The walking path is not that well lit so if you're staying here in the winter when it gets dark early I'd recommend driving the short distance between the two locations instead of walking back in the dark.

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo