Apple Tree Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Wheatleigh(Lenox)
Blantyre(Lenox)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe main houseoff seasonflying insectsspecial olympicsin spite of the factother guestsnew englandyear after yearmountain viewfree continental breakfastfire burninghomemade muffinswonderful hospitalityspecial placeold housenice breakfastspacious room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The Main building is really nice, the entry the common rooms, the dining room is really classic New England charming. I think that if they put that much cleanliness and care into the rooms themselves this place could be OK. Room 107 with a "woods view" was so nasty. We looked out at about a foot of standing water right against the building. All be it we have had alot of rain, but the drainage issue is serious, and complete overhaul of the first floor lodge is eminent or there will be alot of sick people coming home from vacation. You cannot hide the damp moldy basement smell with a nice comforter. The room was so uncomfortably small and smelly we had to ask for a change. Across the hall to 104 - ewww. I felt like we were in a renovated basement, dark,cold.....and the smell again. We were kind in our request and had to change again...no apologies from the staff, no concern to be sure we had a nice stay - in fact I think we were punished for changing because the next room......

They moved us into the Main House room #5. quant, creeky, slanted floors in a dormer room( facing the driveway and right above the kitchen exhaust fans!!!) with beds that tilt downward so all the blood goes to your head when you lay down. Funny it never occurred to them to level the beds. Thin walls beyond reasonable. Challenging for 3 people to move around in this room - we felt like we were in an RV. The neighbors came in at midnight, drunk and decided to wrestle. Not the hotels fault, and sharp knock on the wall got them to quite down, then the TV came on...we got to listen to it very clearly alllll through the night.

We understand a place this large is hard to maintain and seasonal rentals is when they make most their money - but some attention to detail in all the rooms would be helpful. Understand that when you are staying here you are paying for LOCATION ONLY. The towels,sheets and blankets are cheesy and old like a 1978 motel. The price does not reflect class. I am sure they have some premium rooms with upgraded amenities. My favorite parts were the TV instructions and we did not have a TV in our room ( there was no room to fit one). The other was in the really pretty dining room for breakfast at 8:15am - not a soul around. We waited about 20 minutes for the server to finally come. I was checking my messages on my cell phone to kill time. The desk clerk scurried in to screech "there are no cell phones to be used in the dining room it will disturb the other guests!" We all giggled because there were no other guests, and we had no attention from a server yet, and no water in our glasses!! They did have a continental spread for coffee..but the cooked to order was slightly sluggish!!! Upon check out, no one asked how our stay was and, they did charge us $30.00 extra for the ??upgraded room with no TV, although we got to listen to the neighbors?? Crazy visit. We will not stay again.

Room Tip: Be sure to get on the sunny side upper level. Do not stay in the lodge if you have any allergies.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank feather2001
appleres, Owner at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

We always want our guests to be happy, which is why we offered these guests 3 different rooms and would have offered them more had they let us know that they were still not satisfied. That is why we did not charge them for the upgrade to the Main House. The additional charge on their room bill was for the ala carte hot breakfast that they ordered and included the 20% tip that they left for the waiter. Nor did we charge them for the 3rd person in the room. The reservation was for 2 people, our standard occupancy, so there should have been a $15, plus tax for the third person, but we waived that.

We do offer an ample continental breakfast, that and the coffee are self service with the waitstaff taking orders for hot breakfast. It was initially, a bit of a quiet morning which is why I let it go when, I heard these guests talking on their cell on speaker in the dining room. I was in the office, 45 feet away. I let it go for 15 or 20 minutes until other guests came downstairs, then I went into the diningroom and told them (no screeching involved) that we do not permit cell phone usage in the public areas of the Inn. There are signs to that effect posted in the parlor.

The noisy TV, all through the night, is a bit of a mystery. There are only 3 TV’s in the Main House, in the suites, and the nearest one is 40 feet away from room #5, and that distance is broken by the outside fire stairs. And none of the suites were occupied that night. There has never been a TV in room #5, nor are there any TV instructions in the room for operating the nonexistent TV. The guests were given room #5 because was the only available room in the Main House with 2 double beds, which were needed for the 3 people occupying the room. Room #5 is a charming room with 2 double brass beds (and they are level) with good quality, current linens. We replace and refresh the rooms, public areas, linens, furnishing, etc. continually.

We had the drain field behind the Lodge replaced last year, unfortunately, the building was built on a hillside, so directing runoff away from the building is an ongoing project. Any water the guest saw behind the Lodge was in the process of being drained off, not standing.

The rooms are charmingly decorated in a country inn style. The front rooms, such as 104, face South and are very light, but woods facing room are a bit darker. Sometimes there is a slight mustiness upon entering the rooms, if they have not been occupied recently, but it clears up promptly.

We always welcome feedback to help us improve the experience of staying at the Apple Tree Inn for future guests.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I only stayed at the Apple Tree Inn for one night, but I really enjoyed the experience!

I stayed at the cottage. The room was beautiful. The bed was beautifully made, with nice frilly comforters and sheets. The room was really huge and it had a nice T.V. and other furnishings. Also, the bathroom was nice-sized and was pleasant. The whole room had an old-fashioned feel to it, but also had a modern, flat-screen T.V. It is definetely affordable and worth the price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Miamihog3
Reviewed 9 May 2013

This nice spot is a slow 10 minute walk to Kripalu just across the main drive. Did not stay in the main house. Receptionist quite unhelpful. The rooms are clean, pleasantly scent-free w/ soft cotton sheets (yea). The building reminds me of a lodge one might stay in while skiing in Vermont. You can hear other folks moving around in the building but I don't believe it would attract noisy party types. We had plenty of space, a pretty view of the mountains and a wonderful night's sleep for a reasonable price. The grounds are quiet and pleasant. A quick drive or easy walk into Lenox or to Tanglewood. About 20 minutes to Great Barrington for all sorts of interesting activities.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear folks walking around above you, ask for a room on top floor. Might have a really great view if your room is on the side facing the field as it looks out onto the tree tops and perhaps beyond toward the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank foryourinterest562
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Cassandra was a wonderfully helpful and welcoming innkeeper; we felt taken care of when she was in the house. Unfortunately, around dinner time, there is a staff change and someone is paid to sit at the front desk. We saw 2 other front desk staff persons while we were there and they didn't greet us, say hello, ask if everyone was ok, etc.

The inn is under renovation right now, so the large room on the main floor in completely closed down. Due to this, no fireplaces were lit and there was really no place to relax and read a book unless you do it in your room, or sit in a chair in the dining room. It was advertised on their website that fireplaces are lit during this season, so that's what I expected. I must say I was very diappointed in this, as I had invisioned sitting by the fire and playing a boardgame or snuggling up to a good book.

We had a lovely room on the 3rd floor with a skylight to let a great amount of light into the room, which I loved. I would recommend this room in a heartbeat. Cozy, comfortable bed, clean sheets. Basic toiletries, nothing fancy. Breakfast was decent. Everything is serve yourself. They have a nice spread of fruit and homemade granola; Again, Cassandra went out of her way to make sure we were taken care of at breakfast.

We would return when the rennovations are complete and fireplaces are lit!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2013

My mid winter stay at the B&B was delightful. I was taking a program at Kripalu so was only sleeping at the Inn. My room was comfortable. I stayed on the third floor and was concerned that it might get too warm in the room but you are able to control your heat to your likely. The steps to the third floor are narrow and steeper than normal (as you might expect in an old house). The floor near my room had some settling over the last century so it took a bit getting used to but not a problem. I did not partake in the breakfast since my meals were covered but appreciated the 24 hour tea & coffee service. The folks at the front desk were helpful and friendly. A great alternative to staying at Kripalu and easy access to all activities in Lenox, especially Tanglewood.

Room Tip: Room 10 has a private bathroom that is a bit down the hall. Never ran into any other guests along my way. Room is cozy and the reading chair is terrific!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo