“Best find in the Berkshires”
Review of Apple Tree Inn

Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #9 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 September 2007

We recently stayed at the Apple Tree Inn for our daughter's wedding. The inn sits on top of a hill and has views in every direction. We stayed at the inn and our room had a king bed, window seat, fireplace and a large bathroom. It was beautifully decorated. A lot of thought had gone into making the room comfortable and homey. They also have a lodge with equally as beautifully decorated rooms.

Upon arrival, the staff is helpful and welcoming. By the time you leave, you feel like they are part of your family! We were immediately made comfortable with offers of coffee, water etc.

We held our daughter's wedding at the inn because of the great location, only a mile from Lenox Center and, most especially, because of the friendliness of Sharon Walker, the innkeeper. She spent a great deal of time with us in planning the wedding.

If you get a chance, eat at the inn. The chef prepared a meal of gourmet quality. The beef tenderloin cut like butter and melted in your mouth. We also had chicken with pears that was very tasteful.

I would definitely like to stay at the Apple Tree Inn again and would also recommend anyone looking for a wedding site to visit the Apple Tree. We filled the inn with our guests and all enjoyed their stay at the inn.

What makes this inn so wonderful is the staff and the owner. They are there to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable and they do a good job at it.

• Stayed: September 2007

Reviewed 9 September 2007

Just spent the weekend at the Inn with my extended family. Shame on us for not doing our homework - had we done so we would have known NOT to stay in the back building. The mildew was so bad that some of the rooms smelled like urine, the carpets felt wet underneath our feet, and the beds were damp all weekend long. As we checked out we took a look at a few of the rooms in the main house, which were lovely to look at, but also damp and smelled of mildew. Clearly, the Inn's location is what keeps it in business - with or without reviews like this Tanglewood will keep the Apple Tree Inn going for years. But I'll certainly never go back - nor will anyone in my family.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank ybot
Reviewed 5 September 2007

The Apple Tree was an unexpected surprise. Situated next to Kripalu and across the street from Tanglewood, the location can't be beat. The rooms are pleasant and well appointed. The pool is the best, in the day for its hilltop location overloking the valley and the nearby gardens, and at night for gazing at the stars witihout any obstructions. I heartily recommend the Apple Tree.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 30 August 2007

After reading all the bad reviews, I was very nervous about staying at the Apple Tree Inn. But I must say, it was a lovely place to stay and had some benefits that were not mentioned in the other reviews. The best is that you can clearly hear the music from Tanglewood while laying on your bed in your room with the windows open. We heard the whole James Taylor concert so clearly we could sing along!

The free breakfast included fresh fruit (and I don't mean just the usual banana or apples !) was cut up honeydew melon, cantalope, fresh pineapple, watermelon and grapes. There was bagels , fresh hot muffins, english muffins, bread of all kinds, homemade granola, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, cream cheese, oatmeal and speciality jams ( I love the black cherry perserves). It is by far the best continental breakfast I have ever gotten at a hotel. And they continued to refill all of the assorted foods as soon as they were 2/3 empty.

The gunite pool was clean and there were plenty of tables with umbrellas and lounge chairs. The view from the pool is beautiful and we could hear the musicians practicing at Tanglewood in the afternoon.

We stayed in the Lodge not in the main house. It is true that the rooms have a musty smell. But there was no visible mold or wetness. The room had an air purifier. Once we opened the windows, it was fine. The bed, pillows, sheets and blankets did not smell. The beds were soft and very nice to sleep on.

The staff was very friendly. They let us use the outside dining room to eat the lunch we had brought with us.

There were no vacancies on the weekend we were there but you would not have known it. It was quiet and serene.

We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2007

I have stayed at a number of B&Bs in the Lenox area over the years but was unfamiliar with the Apple Tree Inn until a friend recommended it. I have to admit that we were apprehensive after reading some of the earlier dated reviews. However, after our three night stay, I have only praise for the hospitality and accommodations. The rooms and surroundings were amble and clean, the Innkeepers were helpful, the breakfasts were more than adequate and unrushed (try the homemade granola), the pool was complete with a million-dollar view, and one could stroll across the street to hear the symphony. The Apple Tree Inn competes very favorably with all other B&Bs in the area and have them beat on location. They will get my vote the next time I go to Tanglewood.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2007

This place is serviceable in high summer IF you plan on going to Tanglewood. We were, and so the location (1.7 miles from town, across the street from Tanglewood) was fantastic for us. The pool area and other grounds are beautiful and well-kept, a complete departure from everything else at the Apple Tree Inn. However, the pool is not heated to a temperature where you would be able to use it if the ambient temperature dropped below 70 for the high (as it did for us on the Saturday of our stay), so bear that in mind.

As for the hotel and the rooms, well, what can I say? I almost wished we were at the Days Inn. We were not in the main house, we were in the "other" building, which felt as I imagine a boarding house might. You enter through utilitarian glass doors and are confronted with a non-space that would be simply run-down; but the addition of cheap antiques in an attempt to turn this space into a sitting room renders it down-right depressing. Oh, and the smell. You are treated to the familar-if unanticipated- odors of a locker room in an indoor swimming pool. When you get to your room, as with most B&B's, you are greeted by an abundance of floral patterns. At this point though, you're sufficiently cynical to worry that they were chosen with the express aim of hiding dirt and grime. Once you go in the bathroom-which will really have you wishing for the Day's Inn- you are sure of the purpose of the 8 floral patterns. Our bathroom, as others, was uniformly tipped with mold, a fitting complement to the cheap linoleum. The de-humidifier in the bedroom started shooting sparks mid-way through the night, so to the great joy of the fungus in the bathroom, we turned it off. The pillows are incredibly uncomfortable, and as I was sure there was a nefarious reason for the floral pattern on the bed spread, that compounded my sleep difficulties. Other choice details include crumbs in the bureau, and a swatted and smeared fly on the closet door.

The main house where everyone has breakfast is generally shoddy. The design is charmingly predicated on the the answers to two questions: "Does it have flowers?" and "Would the tackier of my two grandmother's have liked this?" Breakfast is deeply bland. The room in which it's served, a cheap addition to the original structure, which might have been saved by 270 degree windows, is predictably hobbled by cheap lace curtains covering half their height.

Like I said though, we spent almost no time in our room. So, it wasn't that bad. As long as you go at a time when you will be outside most of the time, don't mind a few rough night's sleep and are going to Tanglewood, at $200/night it is a cheaper option than many around. In the summer, the grounds are more than a saving grace, they are almost a reason to stay here. At any other time of year I think you would be submiting your mental health to undue stress, and that's not really why you came to the Berkshires, is it?

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank divinemissmoe
Reviewed 13 August 2007

We stayed in the lodge. Our room stank. The smell was so bad it literally hurt your nose and throat . The owners were clearly aware of a problem as there was an air conditioner, a free-standing dehumidier and an ionic air purifier all in the room. The windows would not open. There was mold growing on the bathroom ceiling and huge strips of paint peeling off the window frames. $200 a night is no bargain motel. I was lucky enough on a July weekend to find another place to move to,but the owners refused to refund any of my money, denying knowledge of any problems with the room.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank PaTraveljunkie
appletreeinn, Owner at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2007

PaTravekjunkie did not express any concerns about the room until the morning of the third night of her stay. At that time, after spending two nights in the room without complaint, she wanted to leave and have the last night of her stay refunded.

When I checked the room after her departure I did find minor problems with the bathroom ceiling and the paint on the windows, which were corrected. I did not observe any odor in the room.

If PaTraveljunkie had brought the problems to our attention earlier in her stay we would have addressed them immediately.

The comfort of our guests is our highest priority, but we have to be made aware of their concerns in a timely fashion.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#4 of 16 in Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 20 in Lenox

Been to Apple Tree Inn? Share your experiences!