“First Rate B&B”

Ranked #6 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
bedford hills, ny
“First Rate B&B”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

My wife and I selected this Inn to meet up with two of our oldest friends, and based in part on the reviews we saw on this website. We were not disappointed. Warm welcome from the owner and her assistant who both extended themselves at every turn. The room was large and very attractive, very clean and very comfortable. Breakfasts were excellent. Location is two blocks or so from restaurants and shops. Our friends agreed that this was an outstanding stay and we would certainly try to return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
It is always fun for us when old friends get together at the inn! Thank you for sharing your laughter and warmth with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My wife and I travel extensively. We usually stay at B & B's rather than hotels. We are just leaving the Birchwood Inn in Lenox after a three day visit. It was built in 1766 and is the oldest registered house in Lenox; the first town meeting was held here. Where to begin? Ellen Chenaux has owned the Inn for 14 years. The Inn is beautiful and most rooms have fireplaces. Ours was used every night and cleaned as well as stocked the following morning each day. The Inn is filled with original and period furniture, art, and other things. It also has two large fireplaces downstairs that are always available to use. The rooms are ample and warm (it is February). I had arranged for flowers and chocolates that my wife might "discover" upon our arrival; Ellen outdid my expectations in quality and value. I was happy to see the flower vase so full for what I had spent. Moreover the breakfasts have been beautifully arranged on the plates and absolutely fantastic in their flavor. Each day we have had a three course breakfast with hot, fresh baked muffins and breads as well as fruit cobblers and interesting entrees. We had orange French toast today and it was superb. The place is a five minute walk from everything and is situated across the street from a beautiful church. The amenities are plentiful: robes, great internet, awesome afternoon tea, cider, and baked goods, cookies before bed, access to a fridge, and a fantastic library. All this plus great showers, beautiful bathtubs, and pleasant views. Finally, having stayed at dozens of B & B's in many countries, I can say this is easily one of the top five I have enjoyed. Ellen's attention to detail and thoughtfulness permeate every element of the visitor's experience. She is a wealth of information and taste. I will be back which is not often something I do as the world is a big place; yet I will return to this place. It was reasonable and heavenly.

Room Tip: There are two rooms in an adjacent building. We stayed in the main house which is the way to go simp...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
What great guests! We are here to help set the scene for your romantic escapes, and I am delighted to know that you appreciated and enjoyed your stay. Come back soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We booked a few days on short notice at the Birchwood Inn because they accept dogs with an added fee and a security deposit. The Inn was lovely, friendly, and comfortable. The location couldn't be beat, a short walk to the center of Lenox and a short walk to a beautiful park with miles of hiking trails. The afternoon tea with delicious goodies were a highlight of our stay, and breakfasts were great. The library was loaded with books and games, with a fire ready to light. We recommend it very highly.

Room Tip: We loved our room but we peeked at the larger suites which were sensational, but beyond out budget.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying at Birchwood this month. Having good guests like you helps keep us warm on a blustery winter days and nights. We are looking forward to welcoming you home to Birchwood again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Birchwood Inn last August. We came for Tanglewood and were looking forward to a romantic weekend. We have stayed at many other B & B's in the Berkshire's in prior years together. Tanglewood was wonderful and welcoming, but the Birchwood Inn was not. Ellen, the innkeeper, is a no-nonsense businesswoman whose goal is the bottom-line. I should have realized this prior to booking from reading her responses to other negative reviews.The atmosphere of the inn from check-in (very business-like, I've experienced more hospitality in a large hotel in a large city), reservations (lots of rules), and breakfast (eating times, there is only one selection daily, and must speak quietly) are extremely strict. I understand that it is a small inn so it needs rules, but the Berkshires is a very hospitable place by nature. The Inn needs to be cognizant of that. Thankfully, my boyfriend and I did not need to make any changes and followed all the rules, but it is not a relaxing atmosphere. The rooms are in serious need of being updated. There is quaint and there is old and run-down. For the expensive price, they should be able to keep the rooms smelling nice and make necessary repairs.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank animallover424
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
I am rarely at a loss for words, whether it's for great or bad reviews. This one has me stymied as this guest did not like anything. The Berkshire Team works hard to give each guest a special experience so we are all so very sorry we failed to meet any of your expectations. Every complaint is an opportunity to improve, and I would be happy to discuss your specific concerns with you. Meanwhile, I assure you that we are regularly inspected by Select Registry, the highest honor inns/bed and breakfasts can achieve, to make sure we continue to meet their high and exacting standards.
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 December 2012

My two grown daughters and I spent three days including Christmas here this year. Innkeeper Ellen was friendly, interesting, witty and opinionated -- a pleasure to talk to. Her nephew Joe was very friendly and enthusiastic. Then there are the adorable dogs, Charlie and Quinn -- both beautifully trained service dogs (Ellen is slightly hearing-impaired but you'd never know) who are also the cleanest animals I've ever been around. The inn looks like the New England inn of your imagination. It's two blocks from town and across the street from a darling New England church. Really, it could not be more picturesque, especially under a dusting of snow at Christmas. Ellen's breakfasts are thorough and served with old-fashioned courtesy worthy of Emily Post. Over three days we ate pear crisp, noodle kugel, Swedish tea ring, Portuguese sweet bread, a Christmas tree made out of fresh fruit, eggnog French toast, New Jersey cheese blintzes (couldn't figure out if "New Jersey" modified the cheese or the blintz?), and a Florentine souffle. Our suite on the third floor had a gas fireplace and was comfortable for three of us. The bathroom for the suite happens to be across the hall, but it didn't matter because we were the only ones on the floor. Another plus: My quads got a workout going up and down the stairs. We also enjoyed sitting by the traditional fireplaces in the living room and library.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MAFreeman225
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
We always enjoy having families here for the holidays, and I am delighted we were able to provide you with a New England holiday experience. Although Joe is not related to me, he is an amazing assistant. My cochlear implants are miraculous, so much so you didn't realize that I am deaf and not just slightly hard of hearing. And by the way, the New Jersey modifies "cheese blintzes" rather than the cheese or the blintzes. It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your daughters home to Birchwood.
Reviewed 5 November 2012

If you are looking for the quintessential New England experience, this is the place. The Inn's age (1766) belies its modern amenities. The oldest Inn in Lenox, the ambiance and warmth of another era envelopes you as you enter the three story mansion. Although there are nine guest rooms, you'd hardly know it as we felt we had our own wing in the spacious third floor room all ready for our visit. We brought our little dog with us and were welcomed by the warm and friendly owners who insisted we relax and enjoy ourselves in the main library or dining areas of the inn. Dining at the best restaurants in Lenox only a few blocks away, we felt the old New England charm wherever we went. A fantastic way to see the fall leaves from a local perspective, far away ( actually only a few miles) from the overly touristy Stockbridge.
Breakfast each day was a healthy gourmet treat. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Happy guests make innkeeping fun! We hope to welcome you home to Birchwood again soon so that we can spoil you again.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We were over on holiday touring and staying at B&B's,and this inn was our last stop prior to leaving.We have to say that our welcome from Ellen was wonderful,and we felt at home straight away.
A very pleasant walk down into the pretty town of Lenox,then returning to sit on the verandah with
a lovely cup of tea,and cakes made by Ellen which were simply delicious! As we're her breakfasts
Just so imaginative!
I would like her to know that Our four year old grandson has made her 30second chocolate cake in a microwave and now can't wait to do the same every time we visit!
Ellen thanking you and your team for a super stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your Birchwood experience. Who knows but your grandson just may have the makings of a pastry chef!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 19 in Lenox
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Birchwood Inn? Share your experiences!