“Very Unpleasant Experience”

Ranked #6 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
New York
“Very Unpleasant Experience”
Reviewed 21 October 2008

I am writing to inform this community about a very unpleasant experience I had with the Birchwood Inn.

I have stayed a many B&Bs throughout the country and in the Berkshires in particular. However, my experience with the management of the Berkshire Inn over the past week has been among the worst that I can recall.

The short story is that I made a reservation several months ago to stay at the Inn, at which time they took a deposit for the first night's stay. When I called the confirm the reservation a few days before arrival and requested access to a refrigerator to store milk for my newborn child, the staff informed me that, in fact, we could not stay at the Inn since they do not allow children.

I am fine with that policy, and though I was inconvenienced, I acknowedged their decision and asked for my deposit back. They have since refused to return that deposit, despite numerous requests I have left and messages that have gone unreturned. How can they refuse to return the deposit when the reservation was cancelled at their discretion? And what kind of business won't return messages or address an issue such as this?

I find the behavior of the management of the Birchwood Inn to be unscrupulous and very unprofessional. I would recommend that if you are considering staying at the Inn, you use caution when dealing with the management.

Stayed October 2008
5 Thank berkshireguest
La Chatelaine, Owner/Innkeeper at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, 31 October 2008
Please note that this reviewer is commenting on policy rather than on an actual Birchwood Inn experience.
If you are a potential guest, we invite you to read the subsequent reviews from people who have stayed at Birchwood.
This is the first time I have encountered this situation in 10 years of innkeeping. When the reviewer made his reservation, he was asked – as all callers are – with whom he would be traveling. He responded by giving us his wife’s name. Several days prior to the scheduled arrival, the reviewer called to change his arrival date. The night before arrival, he called again, this time to ask about refrigeration. Only when asked what needed to be refrigerated (we do have a guest refrigerator and guests use the inn’s refrigerators for medication) did he mention breast milk for his infant. Subsequent telephone calls and emails ensued in which he was told that because we are unable to accommodate children under 12 and because he neglected to tell us of this third, albeit small, person we were cancelling his reservation. Since we were never informed of the infant (the overwhelming majority of inns in Lenox are not child-friendly) and had held his reservation for a period of time, turning down other requests, we told him he would be forfeiting his deposit.
We did find a room for the family in a child-friendly inn nearby. He was not interested. We offered a gift certificate toward a future stay when the couple could get a babysitter. He was not interested.
The reviewer describes us as “unscrupulous and unprofessional.” We do not agree. From our perspective, it is deceptive to make reservations for two people when one intends from the beginning to bring three.
To help ensure the peaceful stay of our other We have this policy to retain the tranquil and romantic nature of a stay at Birchwood.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Sewickley PA
Reviewed 16 October 2008

Three generations of women in our family (Mother (88), two daughters (59 and 53), and Granddaugher (25)) stayed for a sun-filled fall-colored week in this inviting and homey inn. As with all guests, we were encouraged to use the common rooms (large library and den) which allowed for a variety of activities including games, reading, and visiting with other guests.

Rooms were tastefully decorated and comfortable, but stairs to the second and third floor are a little steep for those having mobility issues.

The friendly dogs, Quinn and Piper, mingled with guests on the main floor.

Breakfasts and afternoon Teas were delicious.

• Liked — Wonderful breakfasts
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Brooklyn NY
Reviewed 11 October 2008

My partner and I chose to stay here after seeing its listing on purpleroofs.com, and we were very pleased. Our large suite on the second floor was very comfortable and homey with a wood burning fireplace. The grounds were nicely landscaped, and the house was warm and inviting. The breakfasts were delicious, and the staff was welcoming and attentive. The innkeeper, Dave, was especially solicitious and helpful. The Berkshires has very limited accommodations for gays, but we found this inn to be very friendly and accommodating, and recommend it to everyone.

• Liked — Beautiful house and great staff
  • Disliked — Dogs at breakfast, but they're cute.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NYguyz
connecticut
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I have never felt so much at home anywhere I've ever stayed. They even have a midnight snack! Close to many attractions and restaurants are within walking distance.

• Liked — homey
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
New Providence, NJ
Reviewed 2 October 2008

As a wedding present our family gave us a gift certificate for a stay at the Birchwood Inn, Lenox, MA. My husband and I looked forward to getting away for a long weekend stay and a chance to leave the stress of our jobs and escape from the day to day grind and tight schedules we both had recently been facing.

From the moment we entered the driveway, the Colonial Mansion unfolded a charm and a sense of tranquility that immediately put us at ease. We were greeted by Ellen, our hostess and owner of the Birchwood Inn. Ellen took us on a personalized tour of the mansion and the first floor lay out that provided her guests with a large great room where one could sit and read from the many books displayed in the cases, play board games, listen to tapes, or mix and mingle, A smaller room provided a group TV and sitting area, along with copies of the Boston Globe and New York Times. Most impressive was the dinning area that provided the charm and decor of this 1767 structure.

Memorable were the array of aromas coming from the kitchen adjacent to the dinning area. There Ellen and her assistant David created and presented the most delicious breakfasts that stirred one's taste buds and brought back memories of family recipes and shared meals with loved ones, i.e. homemade breads, the use of the fruits and vegetables of the season in an array of crepes and quiches, that melted in your mouth.

Our room, located on the second floor was room #1, the Dana Room. Open and airy it is one of the largest guest rooms at the inn. The king size four poster bed was to die for and at the end of our days sightseeing I looked forward to positioning myself under the plump comforter. It wasn't quite cold enough to utilize the fireplace in the room, but I can imagine how it would enhance a romantic evening.

The inn is in walking distance to the town of Lenox, and Ellen and her staff provided additional information on the many attractions available during our time stay.

The patio area provided a wonderful setting for the afternoon tea times. My husband and I especially enjoyed the hot, homemade apple cider with lemon and apple pieces floating on top of our mugs.

Best of all was the company of Quinn, a golden lab and Pipper her companion. Friendly and gentle they provided adoring eyes and unconditional love to all of the quests.

If you are looking for a special place that affords comfort, a sense of a home away from home, delicious food, and a wonderful hostess, then the Birchwood Inn is an excellent choice to consider for your stay in the Birkshires.

• Liked — A sense of comfortability
  • Disliked — Shower head could have been stronger
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
swampscott,massachusetts
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We have been staying at the Birchwood Inn for over ten years. It has become our 'second' home. Ellen, our innkeeper is just wonderful. Her hospitality and breakfasts are 'over the top.'
We talk about the Birchwood Inn whenever we can to friends and acquaintances for it is a destination not to be missed when in the Berkshires anytime of year.

Deanna Cooper

• Liked — locaotion to Tanglewood,the town of Lenox, the food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
New England
Reviewed 16 September 2008

We stayed here with two other couples, for two nights and had a wonderful experience together and at the Inn. We loved afternoon tea and our breakfasts and our individual accommodations. I can't say enough about the staff and the owner, Ellen and their wonderful hospitality. Heide Bredfeldt

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 19 in Lenox
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Birchwood Inn? Share your experiences!