“If you like boarding school ...”
Review of Brook Farm Inn

Brook Farm Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“If you like boarding school ...”
Reviewed 13 September 2005

you will love the Brook Farm Inn.

Despite being a quaint property, we have never on our lives been treated like the hosts at the Brook Farm Inn treated the group that I was with for a wedding.

The hosts would not let you take bottles of water out by the pool, bananas out of the dining room and scolded guests who had the audicity to smoke in the driveway close to the main road. The only way to relax at this place is to leave the premises as you were scared to touch anything or have a conversation out loud.

Think about visiting a Great Aunt's home and you have the charm of the Brook Farm Inn.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, owners at Brook Farm Inn, responded to this review, 28 October 2005
As innkeepers we have found that most guests are considerate to other guests, and respect the property they are staying in, as well as the staff that works hard to make an inn beautiful and friendly.

Brook Farm Inn is advertised as a nonsmoking facility. For the health and convenience of other guests who expect the inn to be smoke-free, we ask smokers to do their smoking completely away from our premises. We also, as required by the local department of health and safety, do not allow food or drink in the swiming pool area. We do have tables and chairs in the garden, outside the gated pool area, where we encourage guests to picnic.

We pride ourselves on generous buffet breakfasts. Good food safety standards require that the inn's dishes and silverware remain in the dining room. Guests who wish to take food from the dining room (a SLICED banana, for example), are offered disposal plates and plasticware.

Brook Farm Inn is not just our business; it's our home, and we welcome all guests warmly, with respect and courtesy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed 29 November 2004

I recently spent a weekend at Brook Farm Inn. The rooms are lovely and are immaculately clean. The breakfasts are great every day and provide a nice variety (not to mention the best coffee anywhere!). The innkeepers and staff are friendly and helpful, and always have great recommendations to make your trip better. I enjoyed tea and scones in front of the fireplace; it felt like home, only better! I'll definately be visiting again!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 November 2004

I stayed at Brook Farm in October 2004 with 2 of my girlfriends. The owners were nice enough, but in a strange way. If you asked for coffee 5 minutes before breakfast, they would look around like you just ask for the moon, and say kindly "No, we don't have coffee until 8AM".

When it came to the afternoon tea they advertise, it was a similar story. The girls and I were out exploring the Berkshires and we were eager to get back to for the famous tea time - which begins each day at 4PM. We arrived at 4:30PM and found that the scones they are supposed to be known for, were gone. We asked if there were more and were told "Tea begins at 4PM". I guess that meant "None for you"

In the rooms we had there was a sign in the bathroom talking about how they don't like it when make up gets on the towels so they want you to use a make-up remover. So what do the other inns do that don't have that sign? My guess is they wash the towels on hot and get over it.

In my room the water pressure in the shower was so low I could barely rinse the soap from my hair. But the drain was so clogged I guess if the water pressure was stronger I probably would have overflowed the shower.

When my friend arrived one of the owners politely offered to escort her to her room - which was in another building. She had 2 large bags with her and he never offered to carry them, or even so much as ask if she was OK to carry them herself.

The owners reminded us over and over about a guest's pantry on the 3rd floor where we could go for cookies and tea anytime. There cookies were usually gone, and the tea selection was only herbal. My friend, a tea drinker, asked for tea about 15 min before breakfast and was told that she should go to the pantry. She explained that there was no black tea there which is what she wanted. The owner sighed and said she didn't have any hot water - but she would in 15min at breakfast. We couldn't imagine why it was so difficult to boil water!

Do all of these examples make Brook Farm terrible? Well, no, but it's not exactly the kind of atmosphere you want to be in given the price. There are many beautiful places to stay and things to do in the Berkshires. If I go back I will NOT be staying at Brook Farm again.

For the record I have stayed at MANY inns, boutique hotels, etc and have never felt as I did at Brook Farm - like my presence and requests were always an imposition.

• Stayed January 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 November 2003

We have had the pleasure of staying at Brook Farm Inn three times in the last three years. No matter which room we stayed in , from the smallest to the largest, it was immaculately maintained and comfortable. The innkeepers were warm and friendly, creating a welcoming ambiance. Breakfasts were varied and excellent, and afternoon tea with occasional story telling or poetry readings was most enjoyable. The location is ideal, one mile from Tanglewood and within a few minutes drive from the cultural activities and excellent restaurants which abound in the area. However, with all of the activities that kept us busy , it was a joy to be able to relax at the end of the day by swimming in the pool or just sitting and enjoying the beautiful gardens. We hated to leave and look forward to our next visit.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 19 in Lenox
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Brook Farm Inn? Share your experiences!