“Gracious home away from home...”
Review of Rookwood Inn

Rookwood Inn
Ranked #8 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Tanglewood, Lenox, ranks up there with the magical music festivals of the world.

An array of food and lodging amply supports the place.

My wife and I have tested several in and around Lenox at various times of the year. The Rookwood Inn is eminent among them. Consistently -nice weather or bad- visitors are met graciously, checked in and shown rooms that are warm, relaxed, quiet and safe.

These accommodations are enhanced by an excellent breakfast delivered by a great staff! Each morning, a hot dish (quiche, frittata, blintz, etc) is surrounded by juice, fresh fruit, eggs and different breads.

Visitors can expect a cheerful home away from home!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert41133
There are newer reviews for Rookwood Inn

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Our family has taken trips multiple times, to multiple inns across New England. But nothing compares to The Rookwood Inn in Lenox.
It is DEFFINATELY a family-friendly bed and breakfast. We are first welcomed with incredible hospitality, from the minute I stepped through the door, I felt comfortable and cozy. A look around showed beautiful antique furniture. Our room consisted of its own bathroom, a TV, a private porch outside our room, and even a couch! Me and my little brother enjoyed it so much! The beds were super comfy and in the morning, we were treated to an elegent, yet crafty, savoury and homemade breakfast prepared in their kitchen. My favourite was the fresh-fruit parfait.
I'm in LOVE with coffee, so it was a huge convenience to have a Keurig machine for guests in the hallway.
Outside is a huge lawn, beautiful flowers. Very peaceful and quiet. And the location is perfect as well, being around Tanglewood, Churchstreet Café, and a few hiking spots.

The only thing wrong, was that we couldn't stay another day haha.
I deffinately recommend this beautiful, family-friendly bed & breakfast in Lenox, Massachusetts

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
dragonfly81256, Owner at Rookwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay at The Rookwood Inn! We love having families like yours visit us. Please tell your friends and come back to visit us soon!

Amy Lindner-Lesser, Innkeeper/Proprietor

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We expect a room in a B&B which costs $200.00/ night to be be far nicer and cleaner than this one . The empyt plastic Wonder Bread bag was stuck in the shrubbery along the porch entry steps when we arrived and when we left 3 days later . This was the shabbiness Inn we have ever stayed in . There were plies of junk covered with plastic tarps on the parking lot too . What a bad first impression!
In terms of decor what they call antiques I call old junk but it does look old and tired and worn too . That ever present big dog makes the house difficult for those of us allergic to dogs and the room windows don't really open and there is no cross ventilation . I had trouble breathing in the common rooms .
The Inn Keeper was a friendly and upbeat lady but not really attentive to our needs and breakfast took forever to arrive while we heard chatter in the kitchen .

I'd say that being close to Tanglewod keeps her in business in the very small town of Lenox . That Inn is so big and so old it would need a huge infusion of money to fix it up plus some professional help . We wish we had found another place but you know in photos places can look much better than they really are .

Room Tip: Not in this place .
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RebeccaW952
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My favorite B&B’s have warm inviting innkeepers that make you feel like you are a special guest in their home; treat you to a delicious, beautiful, gourmet breakfast and homemade cookies in the afternoon; and have charming, comfortable rooms. Unfortunately, the Rookwood Inn misses the mark on all of these special touches that make a B&B experience memorable.

Our stay was fine, but not special in any way. The Inn is conveniently located, walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants in Lenox and only five minutes to Tanglewood. Amy the innkeeper greeted us at arrival, but instead of a warm welcome gave us a rushed list of instructions, did not show us to our room, and was never around during the day. The Inn has lovely Victorian decorations, but the room itself needed a facelift. Even though the bed was comfortable, everything felt a bit worn. The room was dark and a bit dreary, the chair looked like it might break if you sat on it, towels and robe were rough and scratchy, the canopy on the bed had holes, the clawfoot tub was tiny with an unappealing shower curtain that had to touch you while you bathed. Breakfast was an adequate buffet – fresh eggs if you wanted them, one "hot" dish, fruit, and supermarket English muffins or white bread and a very, very old toaster if you wanted toast. It was fine, but nothing I couldn’t make for myself. What I would have given for a homemade muffin or a fresh croissant.

Had I never been to a B&B before, my stay at Rookwood would have been fine. But having stayed at many B&B’s, there are much better options for the money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzyQ_3636
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We have been coming to the Berkshires for a number of years and haves stayed at Rookwood for the last few. When we arrive we are greeted as if we are family. Amy,and her staff Chris, Jennifer and Lana are very welcoming. The breakfasts are great and if you want something else (like scrambled eggs ) they are always available. Afternoon has homemade cookies laid out with iced tea and lemonade. There is a Keurig coffee maker in the hall for coffee all day and night. Our room has a private deck where we read the newspaper in the morning,and have al fresco lunches a few afternoons.
Best of all is location, location, location. It is a 5 minute walk to all the restaurants in Lenox,and a 5 minute drive to the parking lots of Tanglewood (to hear the wonderful music of the BSO.)
The Inn itself is an old Victorian building with a large sitting room that always has the daily newspaper and a screened porch to read it. The property has a large lawn in front and its own parking for about 16 cars (a real plus in Lenox during the busy summer season. Overall, it is......perfect.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David N
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Located close by but not in downtown Lenox is in a quieter spot. The inn has unusually great range of places to hang out. A living room, where daily papers are provided, a screened porch and the yard (where we had a picnic!).

Very friendly and personable owner and staff. Is professsionally run. Room was pleasant if a bit dark and as this is an older buidling not much that can be done about that.

The bathroom needs renovating. The shower is in a standalone clawfoot tub with a rail and curtain around which seems a bit flimsy. Some investment would make the place really sparkle as it is getting a bit worn.

Breakfast is ok, not great. There is cereal, some breads, and one cooked dish. They do cook eggs on request but do not advertise the availability of additional options.

There is a large refrigerator to put food and drink in and tea and coffee making equipment.

The inn does seem overpriced for what you get but this is high season and is not more expensive than comparable places. It is the Berkshires in season.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MikeBirdman
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have stayed in several inns, hotels and B&B's in the Lenox area and I have to say this was by far the worst experience over the past almost forty years.
Prior to our stay my husband and I had checked the website and Trip Advisor for places to stay in July and August in Lenox. Being high season in the area, our first, second, third choices, etc were already booked and down the list we went until we eventually found Rookwood (#12 of 24 on Trip Advisor) and made a reservation for a 3 night stay in the Tavern Room on the 3rd floor. While in Lenox in May, we stopped by and inquired about the possibility of changing to the first floor and avoid climbing stairs, which my husband explained to the innkeeper was a problem for me. Having been shown the small room "Trail's End" on the first floor and knowing it's size, we asked each other "Well how bad could it be?" The price increase form $210.00 to $250.00 per night was somewhat steep, but we would have a first floor and small deck. So we will be here in July, rooms are booked up to a year in advance due to the area attractions, we have already purchased Tanglewood tickets, so we did it. What a mistake! Little did we know, how bad it would be.
It's now July, we get to Lenox for our getaway. Check-in is from 3:00 to 10:00 PM, we arrived at 4:00. Of course, the door is locked, no doorbell to press, but there is a telephone handset and a key pad. I picked up the handset and a voice asked "May I help You?" By this time another couple has pulled up, parked, taken their bag from the car and joined us on the porch and I tell them someone is on the way to let us in. Amy, who introduced herself as the owner, appeared followed quickly by Rio, her dog, and begins to check the four of us in at the same time. Of course, none of us knew each other and it was quite awkward. She seemed to be rushed. We were told about the odd key pad entry system for the front door which was always to be locked after entrance and exit. We were give the secret code which probably hasn't changed since installed and told to push and pull the doorknob or vice versa to get in. In actuality, it didn't much matter and the door was frequently not closed when we went in and out over the next few days. Amy then explained that breakfast was available between 8:00 and 10:00 AM but that we needed to sign the breakfast log each evening indicating what time we would be coming for her gourmet grub. And oh yes, please write down whether or not you drink regular or decaf coffee. I knew then we were in for a rough couple of days.
Amy took us down the hall to our room, leaving the other couple to twiddle their thumbs. Our room was special, it had a key pad rather than a key as the other rooms in the house. Again, we suspect that it has never been changed. It really didn't matter in as much as the room can't be locked because the window doesn't close properly as we later found out. Of course, the building is next to the local police station. Amy advised us that she had just redecorated the room which used to be her office. In fact she had a throw pillow for the bed that she hadn't even had time to take the tags from before our arrival, and proceeded to rip them off. She noted me looking about for a luggage rack or bench for our suitcase and went into the hall to retrieve a bench which she said belonged in the room. It needed to be repaired before reusing, but it was an antique so just be careful. Amy then told us that if the phone on the nightstand rang, just ignore it or unplug it. This had been her office telephone and someone had reprogrammed it for her, but she wasn't sure if it was in fact done. Guess what folks, it rang twice on our second night and so we simply unplugged it. As she was leaving, we noticed two keys on a hook beside the door and Amy explained that they were for the bathroom door. My husband and I reacted somewhat perplexed and Amy explained that sometimes a guest would lock the door and not be able to get out of the bathroom. OKAY. Amy then left to hopefully finish explaining the delights of staying at the Rookwood Inn to the other couple in the entry hall.
My husband and I checked out the lock on the bathroom door which like most household locksets has a push button on the inside and a keyhole on the exterior side and seemed rather amused that you might need to wake up your bedmate in the middle of the night to let you out of the bathroom should you find yourself locked in. Our perhaps if we had a tiff I could lock my spouse in the bathroom and have the whole bed to myself. Having decided to tough it out, we showered and dressed to go to dinner at which time, I discovered that one of the two very old wooden armchairs in our room had a broken arm which had been completely separated from the seat and was simply balanced in place. Neither of us ever touched the chair again.
Flash forward a few hours. Now back from dinner, some rubber necking around Lenox, and the sun long since having gone down, we returned to our Inn. Hardly a light on, no one in any of the public rooms, we headed to our room for an early night after having added our name to the two other names on the breakfast log. Now as my husband has said, I should cut to the chase. Having gotten into nightgown and pajama bottoms, we decided to watch some TV from our bed because the chairs are too old and broken down to sit in other than to tie your shoes. Well not two minutes later the kingsize bed that is so high off the floor a 5'6" tall woman had a difficult time getting in provided the evening's excitement. Yes folks, it collapsed. Box spring, mattress, covers, etc, and me were found on the floor inside the bed frame. Because there was a loud crash and our room was just across the hall from the kitchen where during the day staff would be located, we assumed that no one was around. Earlier, we had seen a chest in the hallway which had a note posted to it ,that indicated that if you needed anything to call a telephone number shown and you would be assisted. Not wanting to get dressed again, go searching for the staff, or make a phone call and wait for someone to drive to the INN, my husband managed to get the mattress and box spring out of the frame and discovered that there were no support slats. He did find a steel rod that was the missing support piece under his box spring on the floor. Of course, he also noted that his box spring, since this king bed was actually just two twin beds pushed together with some ridiculous cloth band around the two mattresses and a center slab of padding to fake a kingsize bed, was also without a support rod. Well some 30 minutes or so later, we held our breath and tried again. It goes without saying, that this was just not a peaceful night's sleep for either of us. Especially my husband who kept wondering when his side of the fiasco would crash to the floor.
The next morning, we decided to not bring up the bed situation in the dining room in front of the other guests when Amy flew thru the room. After all the bed was back together, but I knew it would not go away and my husband brought it to the attention of Jennifer one of the staff members in a private conversation the next day. Needless to say, she was mortified, apologized profusely, and made phone calls to Amy and the maintenance man. Jennifer and the maintenance man came in and jerry rigged a wire brace for the other half of the bed and made sure that the side rails would support the boxsprings and mattresses.
At breakfast on the day we were checking out, after Jennifer took care of repairing the furniture which is difficult to call antique but rather second hand and castaways, Amy approached me in the dining room to apologize in front of at least a dozen other guests. She was neither tactful, nor sincere and blamed me for not telling her immediately, rather than expressing any concern for our discomfort or safety. I suggested that the dining room was neither the time or place to discuss this issue and I asked her to just drop it. There was nothing she could have done after the bed collapsed or to prevent it at that point in time. Unfortunately, she continued to badger me standing several feet away from our table as to why we had not immediately informed her of her problem.
She did not offer to mitigate the situation in any way. In fact, as my husband was putting our bag in our car as we were leaving, she sped up the driveway at a high rate of speed without regard for the possibility that people may be in the parking area.
These are just some of the reasons that we will never return to the Rookwood Inn and will let everyone we know what we thought of this place.
I do hope that the 5% service charge was shared by staff only and do give credit to Jennifer and Chris for their concern and congeniality during our stay. Jennifer and Chris are the only reason I could give an Average grade to the service.

Room Tip: The worst room in the house - Trail's End, which isn't pictured on the website.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Beverly G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 20 in Lenox
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Rookwood Inn? Share your experiences!