“Valentine's Day Getaway”

Ranked #9 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
Clifton Park, New York
“Valentine's Day Getaway”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

On Friday February 14, 2014 I had the fortunate opportunity to stay at The Rookwood Inn for a night to celebrate Valentine’s Day with my sweetheart. As we pulled into the parking lot, the inn’s Victorian elegance came into full view. The freshly fallen snow that draped the inn, subtlety added a beautiful and special ambiance. Upon entering the inn, my significant other and I exchanged a tacit smile and glance. The adornment and decoration of the inn’s interior placed us in a fairy-tale scene. It was apparent that attention to detail was of prime importance. We both knew we chose the perfect place to spend a romantic night. Guest relation’s specialist, Jen, greeted us. Her welcoming persona and warm smile offered a comforting, unwavering reassurance in the gracious hospitality one would come to expect from a bed and breakfast. Jen happily provided us a comprehensive yet concise overview of Rookwood, all the while knowing we were eager to spend time alone enjoying our stay. As it was Valentine’s Day, Jen kindly put our champagne bottle on ice and showed me the guest fridge where I could keep our chocolate covered strawberries fresh.

We chose Room 19- Victorian Dreams. We could not have picked a more perfect room for our romantic stay. The spacious, quaint layout provided a cozy and comfortable atmosphere, coupled with uniqueness in decoration and detail that was wonderful. We particularly enjoyed the guest book on the dresser; capturing past visitors impressions and stories of their stay in Room 19. We wasted no time lighting a fire. Perched atop the high-rise comfortable queen bed we thoroughly enjoyed the soft glow as it created that special ambiance we desired. An aged but beautifully intact short story collection further complimented the flames as we enjoyed the first few sips of champagne. The antique soaking tub was an enjoyable touch to our evening as well. It provided a soothing and relaxing means to be close on this romantic night. We were equally satisfied and impressed with the large tile shower in the morning.
The Rookwood Inn’s secluded location offers the best of both worlds. Visitors can peacefully enjoy intimacy and privacy for a wonderful retreat, while the village of Lenox as we so aptly discovered is only a block from the nestled away inn, moments away from unique shops, boutiques, and eateries.

In our opinion, we could not be happier with our stay at The Rookwood Inn. We arrived as guests and left as friends. From the moment we arrived, till the moment we left, we truly had a remarkable experience. Innkeeper Amy Lindner-Lesser and her staff went above and beyond to make our stay at Rookwood truly wonderful. Their attention to detail in every facet truly provided us with a unique bed and breakfast experience not soon forgotten. We shall treasure the memories created on this special first visit, as we are equally excited to create new memories on future stays at Rookwood.

A visit to the Berkshires is not complete without a stay at The Rookwood Inn. If you are looking for a perfect blend of elegance and simplicity, coupled with first class hospitality, The Rookwood Inn is unmatched.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
dragonfly81256, Owner at Rookwood Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you so much for such a glowing review! We are always very pleased when our guests "get us" and our way of hospitality. Romantic getaways are special times for our guests and we are very glad that we were able to provide you and your sweetheart with one that met your needs. As the owner, I am always happy that my employees deliver service which is friendly but not intrusive.

We look forward to your next visit to The Rookwood Inn!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Beacon Falls, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My husband and I "ran away" from everyday stressors to celebrate an early valentine's day and early 29th wedding anniversary. It was a great place to relax. Near great restaurants and other things to do. The Inn is great, the staff is friendly , it is very clean and decorated with antiques. Breakfast is great ! I would definitely go back again and refer friends to the Rockwood Inn.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
We are so happy that you had a peaceful anniversary stay at The Rookwood Inn and hope you'll be back to celebrate many more anniversaries with us!
washington
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

There is no place like home by if you are away from home you'll want to be at Rookwood!! Amy gives you all the TLC you want or don't want! The vibe is calm there's a lot of privacy but if you need ANYThing she is there to help
The rooms are warm and comfy each with a wood fireplace
The beds comfy
And personally I always am a stickler for cleanliness and location when I read reviews !! And both excellent despite the overall age if the inn and Victorian antiques etc its clean and plenty of towels pillows quilts etc
She went out if her way to help feed my allergy ridden girl the right breakfast foods and helped us in a pinch with transportation
The staff also delightful
Location excellent!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank marilynWashington
rookwoodinnkeeper, Owner at Rookwood Inn, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
We know how diffiult it can be when you travel far from home for an appointment. That is why we do whatever we can to make your stay as easy and as comfortable as possible. In your case, the weather made your travels even more difficult and we wanted to make sure you got the extra pampering you needed!

We always do our best to meet our guests's dietary needs and are very happy to do whatever is within our capabilities to assure that no guest goes without a healthy and comforting meal.

We look forward to you returning to The Rookwood when you have more time and better weather to explore all that the Berkshires has to offer! Wishing you and your family a very happy & healthful 2014!
Bloomingburg, New York, United States
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife and I just returned home from Lenox MA, where to stayed at the beautiful Rookwood Inn. When we arrived, I had requested their "I love you" flowers, choclates and Sparkling Cider to be placed in the room. We stayed in their Wildflower room. Beautifully appointed with a warm fireplace set aglow. Amy our inkeeper was warm and friendly. The staff was very accommodating and the morning breakfast was fabulous! We felt that we were not guest but friends. The Rookwood is ideally located..a short walk brings you to the heart of Lenox where you can stroll and shop to your hearts content and dine in style at a number of great eateries....we highly recommend Alta and Frankies!!! After dinner you can go back to the Inn and spend time in the sitting room by a warm cozy fire and listen to music or play one of the many board games available. Thank you Amy, Chris and Lana for a wonderful weekend!! AND thanks for the memories!!!

Room Tip: Go to the website and look at all the rooms and make your choice!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
I am so happy that you returned to The Rookwood Inn to celebrate your 5th Anniversary with us! As a Justice of the Peace, it brings me such joy to perform weddings, but I don't often get a chance to celebrate anniversaries. Bringing your friends back to repeat some of the things you did on your wedding weekend was very special! It brought me such joy to see you all laughing and playing games in the parlor and thoroughly enjoying yourselves!

We look forward to you commemorating many more anniversaries w(and other special occasions) here at The Rookwood Inn!
South Yarmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I had the good fortune to be able to stay at the Rookwood Inn by the generosity of Amy and her staff in honor of Veteran's Day Weekend. From the moment we were welcomed in, we felt comfortable in this beautiful and charming Victorian bed and breakfast. Our accomodations were lovely, clean & comfortable. The fluffy, white robes along with the in-room gas fireplace set the mood for romance. An american flag with chocolates and a note thanking me for my service was placed on the bed-First Class. The staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was bountiful & fresh. The Innkeeper, amy came to each table to thanks us for our service in the military. Once again, first class.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tbird1975
It is both an honor and a privilege to have hosted you and the other members of the armed forces (active, reserve and retired/discharged) for Veteran's Day this past year. What started as a small gesture of thanks to our unsung heroes has become one of the highlights of our year at The Rookwood Inn. Thanks to the generosity of the employees who donate their time, we are able to offer all of our 20 rooms at no charge to service men and women. Many of the local businesses assist our efforts by providing some of the food and extras which we are able to give.

Please accept our thanks for your efforts to protect our freedom! It is to all of you we owe our gratitude.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is the most quirky hotel / B&B I have ever stayed in. I can understand the negative points others make, but overall, I enjoyed the stay. It helps to know what you are going to get before you arrive. Some of the comments on here prepared me for the worst, so I was actually pleasantly surprised. It is very difficult to rate on the tripadviser scale, because it is so unusual. I have gone for "average" because it is not poor but also has too many niggles to be very good, but it is not actually average!

The outside of the hotel is a pinky purple making the hotel look like it is going to be a gothic horror. Inside, the public rooms are comfortable. Floral walls, old furnishings and a bit too much clutter is the theme throughout. You are given a pin code to enter as the innkeeper is not always onsite. Our bedroom (Berkshire View) continued the theme. Slightly tired floral wallpaper and dark furnishings, but comfortable. Small shower room with not quite enough space round the fittings and not enough storage space, but an effective shower provided you could ignore the shower curtain which had seen better days.

Amy, the inn keeper, was very friendly and welcoming, as was her dog, Rio. We bumped into other guests and found it a friendly place.

Breakfast was limited. On the first day we were given some melon followed by waffles with strawberry sauce and optional sausages on the side. Strawberry and sausage seemed an odd combination. The second day had yogurt mixed with fruit and cereal, followed by asparagus quiche. I have seen quiche available for breakfast elsewhere on this New England trip, but to a Brit it seems an odd thing to serve for breakfast. Whilst I would have liked more choice (maybe just yogurt, fruit and pastries), the food was tasty.

Wifi in the hotel is slow and patchy.

Overall, I think the hotel could benefit from some redecoration and could easily lose some clutter.

I realise this sounds a bit negative, so just to repeat we did have an enjoyable stay. Rating this hotel is very difficult as it is quirky and very different from most other places. Putting aside the fact that it's a bit tired, the quirkiness is what makes it special. The location is excellent, very close to the centre of Lenox, and also peaceful and quiet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Coddfish
London
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed at the Rookwood over the weekend of my daughter's wedding, and it was absolutely the perfect place to be. Our room was huge and comfortable and the breakfast they served was delicious. They couldn't do enough to help us( there were a lot of people staying there for the wedding) and as mother of the bride, it really helped to be staying in such a welcoming, friendly, easy atmosphere. I hope to go back again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 19 in Lenox
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Rookwood Inn? Share your experiences!