“Do Not Hesitate.....”
Review of Blantyre

Blantyre
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have spent most of my life in hotels. The first 30 years as a global traveler for government and industry, and the last few as domestic traveler for a major technology firm. I've been everywhere, not just the "good" places. I've stayed in some of the best hotels in the world (not kidding) and also some of the worst corners of our world imaginable. I have been blessed with the full spectrum of travel experience and I know a little bit about the Hospitality Industry.

I give the Blantyre five stars because I can't give it seven. Yes, the Blantyre is that good.... amazing in fact. From the second we were greeted by the ever-charming Christine until the property's general manager Simon placed our luggage in the boot of the car (yes, the general manager loaded our luggage) our stay was fantastic. There is no downside, you will not be sorry.

Frankly, The Blantyre is just what it looks like on their website. The Blantyre is a very special property where you will want for nothing. The property is amazing, the grounds beautiful, and the food fantastic. You will not want to leave, period. This is a place where you can sit peacefully in some of the most beautiful surroundings you can imagine and read a book, write a letter, talk to your significant other, or simply have a drink and watch the sun set. It is quiet, private, small, ornate, discrete and comfortable. It is like being a welcome guest at someone's grand country estate.

The REAL reason to stay here is the staff. The Blantyre staff are exemplary and easily what sets this experience quite apart from any other property you may have enjoyed. The Blantyre staff are always close at hand, ubiquitous yet unobtrusive. Your every need seems to have been anticipated in advance. You will soon discover that you rarely need to ask for anything because it is already provided. Frankly, I've only ever experienced this level of attention to detail from hotel staff in some of the great houses in Europe. Even there, such mastery of one's profession is becoming all too rare. The Blantyre staff are exceptional in every respect. No request is too big, none too small. Questions that must be asked dozens of times per week are always answered as if they are the most important thing that person will do today. I really don’t know how they pull it off. It is a beautiful thing.

Bottom Line, the only mistake you can make is perhaps the one we made…. not leveraging this amazing team from the moment we booked our long weekend. This was our first trip to the Berkshires and it never occurred to us to have the Blantyre staff make suggestions and arrangements for the local things we were planning to do. After my arrival, I observed in short order that veteran Blantyre guests had made their wishes known to the staff prior to their arrival. As a result, everything was magically taken care of well in advance. Tickets were obtained, cars hired, parking permits provided, dinner reservations confirmed, free passes given to popular local attractions. Generally speaking, the Berkshires are not that big and the good folks at the Blantyre have the place wired in every way.... seriously.

I feel compelled to offer that if you are into large crowds, bars with big-screen televisions, loud music, throwing yourself into random conversations with total strangers, or wearing any type of headgear while seated indoors, the Blantyre will probably not meet your needs.

If you have read this far, you may be wondering if you can afford an experience like this. In my lifetime, I have paid far, far more for so much less. In an environment like this, one might assume there is a tendency to "run up quite a tab" to be settled at the conclusion of the visit. I hate to sound like a broken record (for those readers who remember records...) but the good folks at the Blantyre would probably feel that such an activity might smack too much of being on a cruise ship.

During our stay, we found things that we would expect to be included at this room rate were indeed included. Things that we would expect to pay additional for, were additional. Prices for things we would want to know before we ordered or requested were always "at-hand" and we never had to "ask". Also, it is handily explained in your welcome letter that the Blantyre is a gratuity-free property. There is a general 18% fee added to everyone's bill that is 100% distributed to the staff. It was such a relief to have this explained in detail upon arrival, it added greatly to our enjoyment of our stay.

So from my optic, absolutely no regrets...... only reservations (perhaps Christmas?). Well Done Indeed.

Room Tip: They are all good, really good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Islay_Malt

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in the Crimson suite over the weekend of 7/26 for our 30th wedding anniversary. The suite is large and bright, and features a balcony perfect for reading and lounging. The staff strive to meet your every wish. The grounds are spacious and well tended. Most important, the Blantyre is quiet and an oasis from the world. Our afternoon spent on the patio was the highlight of the weekend. It was made to seem that the property was all our own.
Dining is exquisite, breakfast to dinner. What more can I say, the Blantyre has spoiled me for any place else.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HikerTraveler
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Very few establishments in the United States can compare to the Blantyre across all rating categories.

The owners make it a point to ensure that your every need it taken care of and you will not find a more respectful or caring staff.

The quality can only compare to the finest of the Loire Valley chateaus and that goes for the culinary experience as well.

You may not have good reason to go to the Berkshires (hence the average location rating) BUT the Blantyre is worth making a destination - it is not just a place to stay - it is an experience worth making time for.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Louis H
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Words simply cannot explain the experience of staying at Blantyre! Yes, I know it is expensive but it is so worth it. The house and the grounds are beautiful and there is just an atmosphere of quiet calm. This is a place to come to and relax - read on the covered porch, sit in one of the public rooms and have a drink before dinner and have your desert and coffee in the music room.

We stayed in the blue room which was just beautiful with a nice view of the back garden. The room was spotless. Everything is spotless here and in tip top shape. Unlike other "luxury" properties you don't any scuffed walls or things that need to be fixed.

This all being said what separates Blantyre from other properties is the level of friendly, professional, fully engaged service. It is very clear that each person enjoys working there and they not only want you to be happy but they are very committed to the vision of Blantyre. Each person is very professional but, at the same time, they are not stiff. While we were there the owner was very present and also fully engaged.

Breakfast is very generous. We had dinner both nights and the food was very good. The second night was my birthday and you would not believe how they set the table! They pay a lot of attention to the details: the note of welcoming, a tray left in your room with cookies and cheese, a departure bag with water and a snack.

I asked to see the corner room and not only were we shown that, we were shown two other rooms. All were beautiful and so unique.

The reason I asked to see the corner room was to make another reservation to come back next month to celebrate my husband's birthday! We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: I think we were happier staying in the main house rather than the carriage house or the other out bu...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank franny19
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The staff makes you feel like they are there just for you- and they are... The food beautifully prepared and served, breakfast and dinner. Our room , the Paterson suite, old world charm and perfectly appointed...so much caring and love permeates the whole inn- the perfect get away, thankyou Ann, and of course 'Luke'!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank myalan48
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Today, I had lunch at Blantyre. It was wonderful in every way - the food, the atmosphere, and above all, the service. Pascal was the perfect host. Our experience was as pleasurable as it was because he was so accommodating and gracious. I will definitely be coming back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank McAllister L
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband surprised me with a trip to the Berkshires this weekend for my birthday. He booked our stay at the Blantyre, and from the moment we drove up the long driveway and entered the house, I knew we were in for an unforgettable experience! The house is absolutely gorgeous and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to the Corner Room. The room was amazing--very spacious, beautifully decorated with a HUGE bathroom that featured not one, but two rain showers (never seen that before!). The staff was super friendly and helpful--we went for a hike up Monument Mountain and they gave us a backpack with snacks, water and sunblock. Our last night there, we wanted to do some star-gazing with our telescope, so they set up chairs and a table out on the vast back lawn for us once it got dark. Breakfast is included in the stay and was very delicious. We had treatments at the spa (the Potting Shed) which were fantastic and spent some time relaxing in the hot tub afterwards and getting some sun by the outdoor pool. This place is truly incredible!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marmar510
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
LakeHouse Inn
#1 of 9 in Lee
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Blantyre? Share your experiences!