“Perfect winter vacation”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Lenox
Bethesda, Maryland
“Perfect winter vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2009

My husband, our dog and I had a wonderful vacation over the New Year holiday. We stayed in the Cottage by the Path. It was welcoming, clean and comfortable. The staff was outstanding and very friendly. We had several meals in the cottage - the food was excellent. The resort was perfect for a restful vacation.

• Liked — the cottage
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2008

We went to Blantyre for our honeymoon, having just been married in New York. They could not have been more kind, generous, welcoming and accomodating. The entire community offers the utmost hospitatlity, and they made our stay truly wonderful. We indeed felt transported to another time; we felt totally pampered from the moment we arrived to the last. We cannot thank Blantyre enough for our, wonderful, wonderful stay, and the memories we will have forever of our lovely autumn visit.

• Liked — its luxury, the staff's personal attention
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nwyorker
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2008

Blantyre is a very elite experience - but one not to be missed. My husband and I enjoyed a beautiful road trip around the New England states and ended it at Blantyre, and we were so happy we did - saving the best for last. The mansion itself is quite stunning, with period pieces and wonderful artwork throughout, giving an authentic hunting lodge feel. (But an exclusive one!) There are many private areas to relax and gaze at the wild turkeys on the lawns and listen to the shrieking of the plentiful wildlife - squirrels and birds. You feel as though you are on the set of a movie.

We were greeted at the door by what I can only call a butler - who, once he knew our names greeted us every time we came and went. This includes opening the doors for us, hauling around our luggage, and ensuring we had whatever we needed whenever we entered.

We stayed in the Coach House in the Fairlawn room which is a stroll from the main house (one of the few rooms available when booking) and although beautifully furnished, the bathroom was quite small, so initially I was a bit disappointed. This was completely undone after a few hours after being on the property. You have to understand; not only does the price include your room, but your stay. By that I mean you are situated on an exquisite piece of property, with plenty of room to roam, with a nice spa and pool area - and the mansion itself. We spent hours relaxing in the peace and quiet, waited on hand and foot by an outstanding and personable staff who all seemed to know our names.

At no time during our 2 night stay did we feel any hint of snobbery or disdain - in fact, we dined in the restaurant one night and felt lovingly welcomed as family. The meal itself was heavenly, and we had at least 4 knowledgeable servers at our disposal in the beautiful dining room. We are very involved in the San Francisco restaurant world, and I have to say, Michael Mina has found an equal here in terms of service, interesting dining options, quality of food, and quality of service.

I can't say enough about this property - yes, it costs small fortune to stay, but you get what you pay for and more. I know some have squawked about the 20% service charge on everything - but - truly: in the restaurant you would already have planned on a 20% tip, would you not? And the number of people who are on hand at all hours to take care of your every need, were you on a cruise ship, would also be given a 20% tip - so why quarrel? Blantyre is worth every penny for that special occasion, or just when you need a vacation and a half. It is splendid. We will return.

• Liked — service, property, dining options - champagne and cheese plate in our room on arrival!
  • Disliked — size of bathroom - although I'm quite sure the baths in the main house are much more plush...
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sanfrann
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

Our experience at this property exceeded all of our expectations. Upon arrival, someone met us at our car and took us directly to the Riverview Cottage. It is a very short walk from the main house. When we arrived, we were met with a vase full of beautiful freshly cut roses and other blooms, cheese, fresh fruit, crackers, chocolate chip cookies in a small jar and a half bottle of Krug champagne. What a way to welcome a guest!

The cottage was beautiful, with a living room that included a sofa and a chair with ottoman, a fireplace, t.v., a collection of novels and other fine books and a wet bar. Below the wet bar was a refrigerator stocked with complimentary sodas and bottled water, replenished daily. The bathroom had a dual sink vanity, a shower and separate jacuzzi tub for two. The bedroom was also beautiful, with a king sized bed, a working desk (where use of the internet is complimentary), another chair and ottoman and another t.v.. Both rooms had a door to the porch outside and a picture window, with views of the countryside. We loved the fact that this property is located in an area of unspoiled natural beauty. The leaves were turning and there was a slight chill in the air but the skies were almost always blue.

From the sweet and friendly housekeepers to the gracious and helpful hosts in the main building, the service here is unmatched. We were treated like dear friends and no request was denied. They catered to our every whim with genuine warmth without being obtrusive.

Dining here is an event. When you enter either the main hall or music room, you are welcomed by a host who offers a cocktail of your choice. When you look around you realize how huge these rooms are, so beautifully decorated with antiques and lovely turn of the century paintings, flowers, books and chandeliers. The architecture itself is the mansion's original and it is magnificent. We would usually take a seat near the fireplace and listen to a man in the music room play their grand piano as we sipped our evening cocktails and ate our canapes. When you are led into the dining room for your three course gourmet meal, your senses will be lulled by the smell of fresh cut flowers at your table and everywhere in the room, the waft of delectables are coming from the kitchen. The soft light of candles fills the room
and the very friendly service begins. Between the drinks and canapes, the three course meal and the coffee and desserts served back in the main hall, dinner will take about three hours. This however, is an experience you will not want to miss.

The spa here is lovely. My husband and I had a couple's massage and it was excellent. Afterwards we lingered in the large, comfy sun room and read magazines and sipped tea. There is a large jacuzzi available to everyone but we never used it.

Breakfast is also an event not to be missed. You can take it in the green room off of the Main Hall or in your room. You may order as much as you'd like of anything and it's all included in the room rate. And you will want to order everything because the food is out of this world.

You should or probably do know that there is a 20% service charge added to your nightly room fee. This way, you are tipping everyone well but you just don't have to worry about it. At some resorts, this is a bit of a presumption that you have received great service, but here, it is not. The service is worth every penny.

There is plenty to do here if you want to stay active, such as tennis, croquet, bike and walking trails through the woods and even a game room. In town there are a lot of interesting historical attractions and even the a botanical garden. But for us, this was a place of peace, where our souls took a much needed rest. And if that is what you're looking for, this place will be a slice of Heaven.

• Liked — The service and the food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lovegoodhotels
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2008

I threw a 60th birthday party for my husband by inviting 4 couples to join us for the weekend at Blantyre. It exceeded my wildest expectations and those of my guests. It is a beautiful estate property, with wonderful rooms (fireplaces, big tubs); and lots of big guest common areas. Also, spas, pool, hot tub, horse and carriage, tennis and big grounds.

But what really made this place special is the owner and the staff. Nothing was a problem; our wishes were supplied even before we asked much of the time. We had a lovely dinner and kept ordering 'seconds' of some of the dishes we thought were especially good so we could share.

At one point we needed an emergency picnic lunch because we were running late and had to eat in the car....no problem! (Even came with plates!)

Breakfast was amazing, and there is so much to do in the Berkshires. They did the work and I looked like a star.

nancy

• Liked — the personal attention of the staff
  • Disliked — pricey! But you aren't nickel and dimed
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank nlgrag
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2008

Lovely old mansion, though a bit gloomy. Nice porches to sit on.
Lots of grass and trees around, not much formal/informal landscaping. I stayed in the coach house in a lovely room, but there seemed a disconnect with this place a block and a half away from the mansion. Very good food. Everyone very friendly and gracious, including the owner who seems to be there all the time, Lotsof staff. The area around in Lenox, Lee, etc. is very quaint. I am not dying to go back, but it was pleasant.

• Liked — very confortable and beautifully decorated rooms and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Wish the grounds were more interesting.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank webwiz99
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at Blantyre in Lenox and had a wonderful stay. Blantyre is truly a special place and a wonderful escape for couples. The Main House is simply lovely- beautifully done in old world style. The grounds are very nice. We were lucky enough to arrive right after a snowstorm, and everything just had a magical look and feel to it.

Blantyre is all about service. This experience provided us with some of the best service we have ever received at a hotel or restaurant. Everyone, from the manager, to the waiter, to the owner, treated us as if we were their most special guests. You really do feel as if you are guests of billionaire friends at their home.

Upon arrival we were showed to our room in the main house- the Ribbon Room. Waiting for us in our room was a basket of fresh and dried fruits and a plate of cheese. A wonderful touch. Beside the welcome platter were 2 champagne glasses, but no champagne. I didn’t want to be presumptuous and call down, but thought that was odd. The next day when we met the owner, she apologized that there was a mix up and we should have received a chilled bottle of Krug , but that for some reason it never made it to our room and would we accept their apologies, as well as a gift of 2 bottles of Krug to take home. Wonderful customer service- a beautiful touch. She also graciously took us for a tour of the wine cellar-- it is gorgeous.

The room itself was OK. It was very pretty and fairly spacious. It had a nice sitting area and a king bed. the bed frame itself was a little unattractive-- a boring metal frame which I found surprising in a hotel of this caliber. It also felt a bit short. The TV was small, especially in light of where the bed was and the bathroom was nothing special. The bathroom amenities were great- khiels products which I love. I know hotel prices have skyrocketed, but at $650 per night, plus a 20% service charge on everything- and I mean everything, we just expected a little more from the room itself.

My husband and I both used the spa . It is nice-- the waiting area houses a Jacuzzi which overlooks their landscape. Again, with the fresh snow outside, this was especially pretty. Both my husband’s massage and my massage were excellent- truly 2 of the best massages we have ever received.

We had dinner at the hotel that evening and it was a wonderful experience. I love that they greet you as you come down the stairs and invite you to have a cocktail while perusing their menu in the music room. You can sit and relax and listen to the piano player, while unhurriedly perusing their menu and ordering your dinner. They bring you wonderful canapés while you wait. Again, here the service was wonderful. When your appetizer is ready, the escort you to the very romantic dining room--each table is set with fresh flowers. The table was set impeccably-- beautiful chine, golden chalices to hold your water. An extensive (and expensive!) wine list offered amazing selections of wonderful wines. (They leave you the full wine list in your room to also peruse at your leisure, which we did). Service was excellent at dinner. Truthfully, dinner itself was good, not great. Our appetizers were very good, but our entree, a New York strip for 2, was just ok. The steak didn’t have much flavor. We are accustomed to eating prime, and I am surprised a restaurant of this caliber doesn’t serve prime. The choices were a bit limited and my husband wanted the steak, so we both got it-- they would not let him have it for one (I also am a bit put off by the “for 2” entrees, for that reason). The presentation (table side) was again wonderful. Dessert was good. Breakfast the next day (a full breakfast is included-- not just continental) was phenomenal. (I should note that I like to have a little something to eat and coffee as soon as I wake up, and I was able to get a continental breakfast sent up to the room and then have a full breakfast later, again a GREAT touch).

My husband and I went snow shoeing on the grounds, and never having done that before, were surprised at how much fun it was! We were going to go ice skating as well, but really enjoyed the snow shoeing. Again, the staff was so helpful , getting my husband boots, me a hat, both of us gloves, showing us what do do and where to go. Really, just wonderful customer service.

Again, the best part of Blantyre is the service. They just could not do enough for you. Another example- we were given a wonderful coffee table book to take home, wrapped in a ribbon. Touches like that really go a long way. Bear in mind, as stated above there is a 20% service charge on everything-- the room, the spa, the food, the WINE. It’s a bit of a steep service charge, when you consider it’s on everything and it does add up. So, one does expect that the service will be amazing, and in this regard, Blantyre does not disappoint.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank macamc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Hotel on North
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Blantyre? Share your experiences!