“Idyllic Setting”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, FL
“Idyllic Setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

The grounds and accommodations at the Cranwell Resort are truly outstanding. The personnel are well trained and always attentive to guests’ needs. This expands beyond the hotel to the restaurants, pro-shop and spa. If you are looking for a getaway in the Berkshires in which to just relax and unwind, this is the ideal spot. The amenities are outstanding, besides the golf course, tennis courts, fantastic oversized fitness room, fitness classes and spa services, there are two pools. The facility is well located in the central part of the Berkshires; accessibility to all of the cultural events is not difficult. Tanglewood is about a mile and a half away, and Shakespeare and Company is close by. There are several live theatres in Pittsfield (about 15 miles away) as well as Jacob’s Pillow for outstanding international dance.

I highly recommend it if you need accommodations in the Berkshire area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

To me this is just heaven
A wonderful venue beautifully appointed throughout, Rooms are wonderful. Golf Course well laid out. Spa is over the top. Evening entertainment The Capital Steps are fun.
Food is great in Sloan.Pub.
Bring family and friends and enjoy the wonderful Berkshires

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Spent an overnight at this resort with girlfriends. The rooms in the carriage house were very comfortable and clean, with an adjoining door, very modern. Breakfast in the main dining room was delicious, and the space was what you would expect of a historical hotel. If you are looking for historical ambiance, then you would want to stay in the building with restaurant on the first floor. Close to all Lenox attractions, but not within walking distance. They had a package with Tanglewood tickets, making the overall experience a good value.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
You made some excellent observations about our resort and location. Thank you. For historical ambiance, visitors also enjoy Beecher’s Cottage near the first tee of the golf course. It was originally built by Civil War Naval Officer, Captain John Barnes in 1882 (then called Coldbrook). The name was since changed to Beecher’s, in honor of Henry Ward Beecher, who owned the property in 1853. He was the brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe. It also has a lovely veranda with views for the course. Glad you enjoyed the Tanglewood tickets. Hope you will return soon.
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I am not a lover of "quaint", "historic" inns. That usually means, old and musty. This place balances both. It is a historic property with many buildings, offering different types of accomodation options. If you want "historic" stay in the Mansion or Beechers Cottage. If you prefer more modern rooms, the Founders building or Townhouses are great. We wound up here by Accident. We had problems at another property (check my other reviews) so we drove over here and Jessica, the Front Desk Agent on call, took one look at us and knew we deserved and required pity and attention! (She is my new hero!) Lucky for us, she found us a few room options and, after hearing our plight, she suggested the King Townhouse as a "more modern, quiet" option. We were quoted a great rate, even though it is peak season, of $375 night. The service is unparalled - Jessica even called us to make sure we were happy with our room and to see if there was anything else we needed. (Again, we love you Jessica!). The food is good, spa facility and indoor pool is beautiful, and the show Capital Steps should not be missed. We will be staying here again by choice, not accident!

Room Tip: Many buildings, some historic and victorian, others newer and modern. Depends on your preference...
Green Features: Sheets changed every other day unless requested otherwise
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
We’re delighted that you found us, even if by accident. As travelers approach Lenox on Route 20, it’s hard to miss the beautiful Mansion on the hill overlooking the golf course. We enjoy welcoming visitors like you, who decide this is the place to be. Thanks for all your comments and Jessica was thrilled to know that she helped make your stay special.
Fort Lauderdale
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to our visit to the Cranwell Resort for a full year. We've visited the area annually to visit our daughter in a local summer camp (staying at the Hampton Inn or Crowne Plaza in Pittsfield), and for her final year we made a three-night reservation since at about $500 per night we perceived the Cranwell to be a real treat. While the visit was fine, it just wasn't anything special. Minor issues that customers shouldn't experience at this price point;
- There's a guy who works at the outdoor pool, but the surface of the pool itself was really dirty. The guy sat in the towel shack for the entire time...You would think that he (or someone else) would skim the surface at some point (to be candid, I was tempted to do it myself).
- Upon checking in and asking to confirm that the hotel had our "Stash" Reward program identified, the staff response was "We have someone who checks, but if you don't get credit in a few weeks just call us back."
- The door of our room (146) did not close properly, either due to the wood swelling, or just being off kilter. As such, we had to essentially slam the door every time. I felt bad for the people in the rooms around us.
- The room was serviced after the first day and the tissues were not replaced. Generally it would be no big deal and I'd write it off as just an oversight, but then again on the next day it again wasn't replaced. Had my allergies not kicked up it wouldn't have even been noticed, but there's a lot of nature around (and a musty room), so I just grabbed some tissues which was not a big deal. I hope that they're saving money on the $1 box of tissues.
- We had a 6.30 reservation at the restaurant, which upon arrival we were told that the table would not be available for at least another 30 minutes. We were offered a table at the lounge/bar area which was acceptable, and we were given a free drink which was kind. The hostess did her best to act as our waitress/server while simultaneously balancing her hostess duties.
On a positive note, the grounds are beautiful. For golfers, the course is attractive and the spa appeared to be well run. Sloane's Restaurant is a nice casual place for a quality meal. There are so many strongly-positive reviews about the Cranwell that I've concluded that it's just not right for me, as their following seems genuinely passionate. As far as my experience, I just don't get it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IraBfromCSG
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
I guess we can't be all things to all people but we sure try. Your comments certainly are worthy of our attention and they are much appreciated. We are of course thrilled so many have such a wonderful time with us here at Cranwell; we will continue to do all we can to make this a very special place for all our guests. I'm always happy to help with fulfilling every expectation so you find your way back to the Berkshires, I'm here to make it right - for you.
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

This was our first stay at the Cranwell and it won't be the last. The accommodations were wonderful, the staff friendly, the food delicious and the golf course excellent! If you are looking for a spot to truly "get away from it all" this is the spot to do it. Plenty of onsite activities that you don't to leave the grounds if you don't want to but enough "quiet spots" to give you some down time if that's what you are looking for. Our suite in the Mansion was fabulous with plenty of room so you don't feel cramped. Because the views of the Berkshire mountains are so awesome, I would imagine that this spot would be beautiful in the fall! Already can't wait for our next visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite on the 3rd floor of the Mansion - you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
You’re right…Cranwell Resort is beautiful in the fall. It’s also very special in winter with the surrounding trees and fields blanketed in snow. So hopefully we’ll see year-round. Thanks for your wonderful comments.
Valatie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have been meaning to write a review for a while now. I first stayed at the Cranwell Resort back in January 2013 for an overnight with a friend. I am now on my 3rd over night visit. I really love Cranwell. I have not had a bad experience. All 3 overnight times I have stayed in the Carriage House with friends. Every room we have been in has been so lovely and modern. The beds are very comfortable. The rooms are very roomy and have a great color scheme and modern feel. The bathroom is big with granite countertops. On my last visit there were 4 of us and we had rooms next to each other that were adjoining, which was great for hanging out in the rooms for drinks etc. Cranwell is about 45 minutes away from where I live in NY, and it is just the perfect getaway. I love staying over in the Carriage House because you can walk straight to the spa in an enclosed walkway which is great during winter. The indoor pool is about 60 feet long and heated which is perfect for winter getaways. The indoor pool area never really has been too crowded when I was there. Inside the woman's locker room there is a hot tub, sauna and steam room. The Spa seems to be well-maintained and clean. They provide robes and flip flops to wear There is also a quiet room where you can sit and relax before treatments. You can enjoy tea or water while in the quiet room. The staff has always been nice and friendly. During one of my stays I needed wine glasses and a corkscrew. The staff brought everything I needed promptly. Everything seems very clean and many times I have seen staff vacuuming and cleaning windows. I finally got to enjoy the outdoor pool on my most recent visit. It was great and the temperature was perfect. There are nice big towels available for guests to use and you can order food from Sloane's next door. I have had lunch and dinner at Sloanes. The food is good, but not anything too special. I like sitting out on the patio. I had a sandwich. I had breakfast over in the Mansion. It was good and the view is great looking at the beautiful Berkshire Mountains and Golf-course. There is a breakfast buffet, but I just ordered off the menu. The Music Room is very traditional and a great place to enjoy an evening glass of wine. I was interested in seeing one of the townhouse rentals for the future and the staff was great and took us on a tour to see what the rentals looked like. I haven't had a treatment yet in the Spa, but 2 of my friends have and basically have said that the treatments and staff that do the massages, especially the facials, are excellent and blow away the competition of other places they have been. Cranwell Resort and Spa is a true gem in the Berkshires. You should really go and treat yourself. The grounds are beautiful and great for walking etc. When you leave you will feel relaxed. The other nice thing is that when I can't stay overnight, sometimes I have come on a Saturday and used the facilities, which is a great way to relax for the day after a long week. I hope to stay longer on one of my visits and I already can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jjohnson76
Three visits in 6 months…how wonderful that you have found Cranwell Resort to be the place you return to for a home away from home. Whether for an overnight or day visit, we’re looking forward to seeing you again soon. Our staff was so pleased to read your review. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#5 of 14 in Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!