“A Castle in the rough”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“A Castle in the rough”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Staying at the Cranwell is a unique experience, as it has a tremendous amount of history and unique architecture. The golf courses are well kept and the spa is seems to be a large draw for many guests. We has breakfast, the buffet, and it was a good value.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank scott f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 August 2013

There is a lot to like about Cranwell. It is conveniently located and the main house is quite pretty. The cottage rooms are generously sized and the indoor pool is awesome (and huge). On the negative side, the whole place is a bit too developed; with all the cottages on top of each other, the resort can give off a little bit of the feel of a housing development. And the food is spotty; we have had excellent meals at Sloanes and a pretty bad breakfast in the main dining room.

Overall, we liked Cranwell and recommend it to anyone looking for a nice hotel in the Berkshires at something approaching a sane price (I.e., for those who, like us, are priced out of Wheatleigh and Blantyre).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Person3557
new york
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful experience!
Rooms were spacious and so comfortable. People were very friendly. Facilities were great and the place is very pretty.
Of note, Sandy, a manager in reservations was so helpful and friendly and was a great prelude of things to come.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank daveyhaeesh
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My wife and I first visited CRANWELL July 2012 as we attended several performances at Tanglewood. Awesome experience that encouraged me to come back this year (2-6 August). Everything in 2012 was great but on our return visit it became quickly apparent that something was amiss. The CRANWELL brand soaps, shampoo, conditioner, and lotions had have been replaced by some unknown brand that I would expect to see in a Dollar General store. In the spa, fitness, and rooms it is quite evident that upkeep maintenance is not being performed.

Our interactions with the staff throughout the property was excellent with the lone exception of the Mansion event staff on Sunday. I noted that the temperature setting in the Grand Board Room was set at 60 and it was cold in the room (not in use at the time nor did it appear that it was going to be used Sunday). I passed this observation onto the staff and not only did they not thank me their body language indicated that my input was not desired (they literally said nothing to me).

I still think CRANWELL is a destination that one should put on their schedule to enjoy. I just hope that feedback like mine will motivate ownership/management to evaluate their current operating policies.

Room Tip: We stayed in the the Carriage House in 2012 and the Olmstead in 2013. Carriage House is far better...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rich T
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
So glad to have you back with us and that you found the staff to be exceptional throughout the property. The concern with the one staff person would certainly standout among all the others. I'm sorry that you missed the in room soaps of the past but the upgrade was to have a product with fewer unnecessary chemical additives, making them a better product for both you and the environment. I do hope you read this response so you have an understanding that there maybe a few more changes when you return but I can assure you they are well thought out and very intentional. See you next year!
Bulverde, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights. The room was in the Carriage House and it was huge. It would be perfect for a family. The grounds were immaculate and everyone was friendly and helpful. We ate at Sloane's Tavern and the Lounge and enjoyed both immensely. We received a free paper every day and loved the Keurig in our rooms. Everything is within easy walking distance on the grounds and we loved exploring.

While this place is really easy to find, during the day it's a little noisy. I was expecting more or a quiet setting but it's on a main road. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful and lovely but you can hear cars on the highway at the entrance all day.

Room Tip: room 317 in the Carriage House is very large with two queen beds. It's perfect for a family of f...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I have been to Cranwell at least 40 times in the past and the past few months there have been significant changes for the worst. It is still a beautiful resort so there are things they really cannot change overnight - like the structures and the beds. ANYTHING, it seems, they could cut back on they have - the quality and quantity of food and drink, complimentary newspapers, landscaping, complimtary soaps and shampoo. If you run a Super 8 you go the economy route...you dont do that with Cranwell and increase pricing in the meanwhile.

And even the staff is not the same. For years, every person I came in contact with had a smile and a Hello. I walked in the mansion and the doorman was glaring at me like some bouncer at a Boston nightclub...and he did this twice in 2 days. I wonder what Zagots rating is going to be the next time around...and if you havent been there before you may not notice. But many regulars - including guests and many employees are concerned as to where Cranwell is going.

Green Features: I think its a sham to save money by using cheap products and not changing linen as often.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Cheryle V
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
I'm of course concerned as a return guest you are finding your experience so different from the past. I'm shocked to hear this and would be more than happy to talk with you directly if would be interested in taking the time for me to address your concerns. What you are experiencing to so out of character I would want to do all I can to ensure this simply doesn't happen in anyway that you are describing. I'm always here and always willing to help in any way that I can.

I'm hoping you are willing to give me a call so we can get things back on track for you!
Maplewood,
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was our first visit to Cranwell and it truly lived up to its reputation. We arrived early and our room was not ready, but the desk called my cell phone to say that the room was available earlier than we expected. We were staying in the main building and the room was very nice - typical New England setting. There is a small foyer as you enter the room with a sink, Keurig coffee pot, coffee, tea, etc. and other nice amenities. the bathroom was well appointed, very clean with fluffy towels and a magnifying mirror. Although we requested 2 double beds, we were given one king size bed which was very comfortable and had a thick comforter which was perfect for a cool evening
We ate lunch in Sloane''s restaurant at the golf course and the outdoor seating with large umbrellas was perfect. The lobster salad, turkey burger and chicken salad were all enjoyed by all. The resort is located very close to Tanglewood and.the hotel is immaculately clean, welcoming and helpful staff. It will be a pleasure to return

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Garden Gables Inn
#4 of 16 in Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!