“Pretty mediocre”

Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at the Cranwell for a mom's getaway. I thought some peace and quiet might steady my nerves. Unfortunately, the walls at the "Founder's" were razor thin. Honestly . . . on one side of my room, I could hear every single word the woman was saying on her telephone. On the other side of my room (unfortunately, where the bed was placed), I could hear a man snoring. I mean every breath, in and out, as though he were sharing my bed or room. I could also hear not just the ring of his cellphone, but the vibrating sound when he received a text or email.

I also did not get any maid services. I did call and complain and they would have sent someone, but by 5:00 p.m., I just didn't care anymore.

The spa was nice, but I've had better massages.

I will say the grounds were lovely, and I was not put off by the worn furnishings and carpeting. They were nice enough and in keeping with the style of the property. However, the thin walls and lack of adequate attention from hotel staff were deal-breakers.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

We’re sorry that your stay was interrupted by other guests’ noises. We are planning room renovations in the near future and we recently added 18 new rooms that have many modern comforts. We’ll also bring the housekeeping service to the attention of that department so we can improve this aspect in the future. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our extended family spends a great deal of time in Lenox and often take 15+ rooms at a time, besides hosting private dinners and using the spa facilities. Because Cranwell is the largest hotel in the area, we generally stay there. The grounds are lovely, they serve a nice breakfast, and the spa services are pretty nice, but that's about where it ends. The rooms are run down, the bathrooms gross, the cleaning nonexistent.... We've been overrun by ants on one visit and infested by flies on another. One member of our party found a toe nail clipper and nail clippings on the sofa, another found a toilet seat with excrement on it. Our bathroom had long strands of someone else's black hair all over the place. At 8:00 am on a Saturday morning, there were workpeople with walkie talkies making a racket outside of our room. Needless to say, we were fairly disgusted and have resolved to go elsewhere next time, even if it means paying a bit more.

Room Tip: The cottages are awful. Rooms in the mansion itself are probably the best. The carriage house is t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Casey128685
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

We’re pleased that you and your family booked a return visit to Cranwell, but are sorry to learn that you had issues with the accommodations. Thank you also for completing our Online Guest Survey that we sent you following your stay. Based upon your comments, our Rooms Division Manager will be reaching out to you, as we would like to work on correcting the areas that you brought to our attention. Thanks again.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

To be fair, this was a one night stay and we didn't get to sample the wide range of activities. The grounds and spa are impressive. The accommodations, however, were disappointing. The carpet leading to our second floor room was old and stained. The furnishings in the room were likewise old and scratched. This was startling considering the prices and the overall reputation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

We‘re sorry that you found the facilities to be disappointing. We continually update our guest rooms and public spaces including the replacement of 18 guest rooms last year. We also have plans to update additional areas at the property including accommodations in the near future. Here's hoping you will return for a longer stay and have a chance to take in more of the resort activities next time.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Lovely grounds with world class spa and amenities make for a wonderfully relaxing and truly pampered stay. Enjoyed the golf, meals at Sloane's Tavern, the Wyndhurst Room (formal) and the Music Room (breakfast buffet was very good). Spa was amazing and not to be missed!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. We liked being in a building where you could go to spa in tunnels without goin...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I stayed here off-season, during the week; got a great rate! My room in the mansion was huge huge huge (suite, huge), with a beautiful view of the mountains and a little balcony. As the weather was gorgeous, sat outside a bit and breathed the fresh, mountain, Berkshire air!!! Room was beautifully decorated, had a fridge, sink, coffee maker. Tons of windows! Enormous tub to stretch out in. Only little things with the room; carpet could use a spot shampoo deep cleaning and there were a couple of wasps/flies, which maintence came immediately to kill (I had to kill one more the next day). So, if you get this room; may want to bring a flyswatter! I must say, Cranwell was very very nice about the whole thing and said they would address the problem (probably nests outside). I hope they also invest in screens for the windows because I wanted to open them; door to balcony has good screens. Swam in the huge pool, worked out at the great gym, just the right size with very modern equipment and clean clean, went to the spa for a massage and mani. All in all a great time; staff at Cranwell was fantastic, Shirley and Luke made my breakfasts very peaceful experiences and all other staff was great. Bed very comfy; woke to an incredible mountain view. Only other downside to room was that it is near Rte 20, could be perceived as a wee bit noisy at times but really, the good outweighs this by far. Thank you, Cranwell, hope to be back again!

Room Tip: See above.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I had a great short stay at the Cranwell in late september. A friend and I wanted a nearby vacation that was a little active and a little relaxing, this did the trick. Lenox was a little sleep for two single women, but we were then forced to relax.

The room we stayed in at the Carriage House was great - high ceilings, clean and comfortable beds, with a nice size bathroom. Always important to me is function - there were plenty of outlets, easy to access wireless and a fair amount of storage space. The small fridge allowed us to have drinks and snacks in the room.

Everyone was very friendly and helpful on the staff - especially in the spa and the onsite tavern. All in all great stay!

Room Tip: Carriage Room - 312
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beth B
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Went here for a one night stay with my son for an event at Tanglewood. Booked this through their website and took the "Cultural Package". Was greeted warmly at reception and had no problems with the booking through check-in. We were given a room in the carriage house - which is a completely modern facility and the room was large, clean and well within expectations for the rate. As part of the "cultural package", you are allowed up to $20.00 a day in food/beverages which seems like an attempt to get people to spend more on their stay since there are very few things that cost less than $20 at this place. I did get to use the benefit, as thankfully the bar in the main house was still open after the event. Unfortunately I had to hunt through the mansion after waiting at least 10 min at the bar to find the bartender who had gone on walkabout presumably thinking there were no more customers that would arrive so late in the evening (11'ish). We were told the kitchen would be open until 11 - alas it was not, and our request for food was denied. Some nice folks at the bar shared their wings and fries with us overhearing our refusal of service. We returned in the morning for breakfast - which was good enough and service was excellent. Here's the weird part - at checkout, there was a mysterious $20 charge *added* to my bill. The agent at the front desk could not adequately explain to me why it was there or what it was for. I was told that only the bookkeeper could explain, who was not available. She seemed not to comprehend my surprise nor empathetic to my concerns. After going back and forth, she eventually took the charge off my bill, but this left a decidedly poor impression. There's few things I dislike more when checking out than finding inexplicable charges on my bill. This property would do well to simplify and streamline - don't give away things that people may or may not use, and don't add charges that aren't clearly explained prior to check-in. Otherwise, overall quality was as one would expect at a high(er) end resort such as this. I would probably go back, but would definitely make sure that all terms, conditions and operating hours were well documented and explained prior to checking in - and suggest you do the same...

Room Tip: I didn't use the spa, had to leave too early the next day - so the rating above doesn't appl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Barton F
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us to experience Tanglewood on our Culture in the Country Package. We appreciate your taking the time to share all the positive aspects of your stay. We apologize for the confusion upon check out as the package does include a $20 food credit per person. It was originally booked with one adult and the second adult was added to the reservation at check in. This should have been adjusted so that you did not receive a $20 charge, but I’m pleased that you received the credit before you departed. If you would like further explanation, our Rooms Division Manager would be happy to speak with you. Hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Garden Gables Inn
#3 of 16 in Lenox
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!