“A Great Escape at Cranwell”

Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, PA
“A Great Escape at Cranwell”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at the Cranwell for 4 nights between Christmas and New Years. The purpose of the trip was to get some rest/relaxation as a family.

After researching the many room options (different buildings and different room set ups within each), we decided that the Founders Cottage with its one bedroom suite option would best fit our needs. The set up at Founders included a large bedroom with King size bed, a nice size bathroom with 2 sinks and a Jacuzzi tub, a small area upon entering the room that had a fridge, Keurig machine with free coffee/tea and a counter with a sink. While no microwave is in the room, you can ask for one, free of charge as we did. The other main room was a fair size living room with pullout couch, a desk, and a few chairs. There were flat screen TV's in both the bedroom and living room.

Overall, the room was in good shape, as an older establishment there were areas that showed their age (some chipped tiles in the bathroom, scoff marks on walls and an occasional small stain on the carpet), but overall the room was tidy. Some of furniture in the living room appeared a little dated, but nothing in horrible shape. Our room was cleaned swiftly each morning. Our Keurig coffees/teas were resupplied all but one day. Also a few free bottles of water are provided daily. Our room also had a large balcony off the living room and a very small step out balcony off the bedroom.

The Founders, like most buildings at the Cranwell had a cozy lobby with fireplace. A huge advantage of the Founders in winter were the tunnels to the Spa. No need to go outside at all.
HUGE benefit in winter. There are probably 3-4 buildings that connect directly to the spa/pool area so make sure you research all options before booking.

As for the spa/pool area.....it was lovely. My wife had spa services on 3 separate days and she enjoyed them all. They aren't cheap, but it was a time to splurge, so we did. The pool area was large and very clean and the kids enjoyed it a lot. The only drawback was the water temperature....too chilly! I witnessed several complaints by guests during the 5 days we were there and the water temperature never changed. My kids were shivering after 15-30 minutes in the pool. I was able to use the fitness center and spa facilities (Jacuzzi, steam room, sauna) and they were wonderful. The men's locker room had plenty of robes/towels/flip flops available. You could shower and shave there as amenities were provided. The relaxation room with loungers/fireplace/free tea and water was superb.

As for food, we went into the towns of Lenox and Lee for dinners on 2 nights. Both towns had plenty of places to offer which was great. We ate at the Sloane Tavern 2 nights (take out one and eat-in another). The food was good, nothing spectacular but it provided a quick meal option that wasn't astronomical in price. Breakfasts, I ran into the town of Lenox and hit up the local coffee/bakery shop (Haven Café/Bakery). We really enjoy the pastries and lattes! One morning we did go to the Mansion at Cranwell for the Breakfast buffet. One word: AMAZING! Service, food options, etc....all top notch for the breakfast. You have to try it alteast once as it was a great dining experience and totally worth the price!!!

There was a small game room located in the basement of one of the buildings, but it was in sad shape. I'm almost shocked they still have it open. There was a run down ping pong table and air hockey table. A pool table and a few arcade games that cost 50 cents per play. Like said, one of the more forgettable parts of the resort.

Outside of the game room the resort overall was beautiful. Exploring the mansion was a treat. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas.

All in all, we really enjoyed our getaway, adding up the costs of room and spa, it was by no means a cheap trip. Was it worth the full amount we paid? Maybe not 100%, but not far off.
We'd definitely recommend it to others who might be traveling to the Berkshires in search of an escape.

I'll just note one issue we ran into with regards to spa booking. They advertise a "youth service" option to guests "15 and under" (as stated on their website). We thought it would be a nice mother/daughter experience to just have our 4 year old's nails painted since the option was advertised. Upon contacting the spa they said "no way, too young" where as I stated their website was misleading. They seemed indifferent when I told them by wife/daughter were looking forward to this. The fact we were already planning to spend $400+ on spa services and they then turned down that option was a little upsetting. My advice, any questions you have regarding services contact them directly and not rely 100% on what the website states because you may not get something you are expecting in the end.

Other than the spa booking issue, customer service overall was solid.

Room Tip: Be sure to research the many room options that Cranwell offers. There are multiple buildings through...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pars1978
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
I’m so pleased that you chose Cranwell Resort for your family getaway and I can’t thank you enough for your great and thorough review. I apologize for the confusion at the spa and will look into how we can better clarify this policy on our website. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is my 4th visit to Cranwell. I have come here with my husband several times and girlfriends other times, always during the month of January. Why come in January? After the hustle and bustle of the holidays, I want to relax, read, enjoy peace and quiet without having to do anything or go anywhere. There is plenty to do here - swim, zumba, exercise room, whirlpool, steam room, spa treatments, xc skiing, walking, poking around Lenox - but there also are many cozy places to just sit by the fire, read and look outside. In the past, we have stayed in the Founders House, the main house, and one of the cottages. This trip, we stayed at The Beechers, an historic house. Even though I typically like historic houses, I would have preferred to stay in one of the places that is connected to the pool/spa by an indoor walkway. If you prefer this as well, be sure to ask for a connecting room when you make a reservation. It was no fun getting dressed in many many layers to go outside to 1 degree weather and walk over to the pool. Our room at the Beechers, however, was fine although it was on the 3rd floor with no elevator. The room was spacious, clean and had a little seating area with 2 nice reading chairs which we enjoyed. There was a small fridge and a Keurig (we had to ask for decaf). There was no microwave but they quickly brought one over when we asked. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the room was quiet. We did not eat at the Sloane Tavern b/c I've had meals there in the past that were not very good. The dinner at the Mansion was fabulous - highly recommend it! We didn't xc ski this time but did take a great walk around the property in the afternoon. We found the staff very attentive and friendly. We look forward to our annual January trip to Cranwell!

Room Tip: If you go in the winter, ask for a room that is connected via walkways to the spa/pool. Our corner r...
Green Features: Hmmm....we only saw one recycling bin in the spa. Didn't see any recycling bins in the rooms or foyers. The resort does encourage guests to re-use towels which is great.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank joyful2travel
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
You’re a savvy traveler to recognize the beauty of visiting Cranwell and the Berkshires in January. Thanks for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you next winter (if not sooner).
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I visited this resort in the Berkshires with my husband and 13 year old daughter for New Year's Eve. We stayed for two nights and had a very nice time. I am looking forward to returning later in the year. However, I feel there are always areas for improvement no matter how good my experience is at a resort. This resort has a historic mansion as its base but has expanded beyond the original building. We stayed in the Carriage House, which I was told is their newest building. The room was large, clean and very nice. The bathroom was large with two sinks and the toilet and shower were separated by a half wall. It was clean and comfortable. There was a refrigerator and a keurig coffee maker in the room.

Several of the buildings are connected by long walkways to the main lobby and the spa and pool complex. The pool was very large and had many chairs. There were kick boards and noodles available for children and adults and they had water exercise classes every day. There was also ice skating and cross country skiing but the weather conditions made it impossible to ski and too cold to skate.

It was extremely cold on our visit so having to leave the building for meals was a bit of a challenge. We ate in the tavern for dinner. The food was very good but they don't take reservations so go early or you will have to wait. We had the buffet breakfast at the Mansion one morning. It was $20 but very good. Overall, the experience was very nice. However, I did want to make some comments about things I was not so happy about and hope management reviews my comments.

1) The beds were extremely soft and one of our beds sagged toward the middle a huge amount.
2) It would be great to have Decaf coffee in the room for the Keurig.
3) On the day we checked in I asked if there were snacks available for purchase at the hotel and was told that there were drinks and fruit, etc. available near the pool. I visited this snack bar area several times during my stay and the only thing available was the coffee machine that had regular, decaf and hot water for tea. It might be nice if they had hot coco here for the kids.
4) The hallway connecting the Carriage House to the pool facility did not seem to have working heaters during the time we were there. It was very cold coming back from the pool in our bathing suits.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sharon r
Thanks for all your wonderful feedback and we’re pleased that you are planning a return visit later this year. Your response is the kind that will “help us always improve”.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I agree with other reviewers that the roms are a bit dated in the "cottages" in which I stayed. I was not impressed with the service, especially given the very high price. Would not recommend. Bartender in the Sloan Tavern was rude to our part as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank D_Will2013
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Thanks to Cranwell, RELAXING is my new favorite hobby! :-) This is my third stay. My husband and I LOVE it. ALL areas are incredibly clean & neat. ALL staff are quick with a smile & very friendly. They have a wonderful balance between professional and personable. Thank you so much for being attentive to the small details. Beds are very comfortable and sheets are super soft. This was my first visit in the snow - Wow - Beautiful!

Room Tip: Consider if you want a sunrise or sunset, to be on the ground floor or higher to see more of the sur...
Green Features: It's encouraging that this Resort 'lives' responsibly :-)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

My boss chose this hotel for a sales team retreat. We all work in the hotel sales business and were all blown away. Lenox is such a quaint town and this resort compliments it perfectly. We had meetings all day, and the meeting breaks were exactly what we were looking for. The director of sales was unbelievably helpful and accommodating. He really wanted to ensure that we were having a positive experience. The resort has so much character to it and is located just 2 short miles from the beautiful downtown area. We had breakfast in the Mansion at the resort before departing. So many delicious options. The breakfast staff was exceptional- especially the omelet chef, who made a point to make conversation with is and make us feel like we were at home. I am from Massachusetts and did not realize that such a wonderful place existed in my backyard! I will definitely be back and will recommend it to my family and friends. Don't hesitate when booking your stay here. They will take great care of you!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I just returned from a wonderful weekend stay at this sprawling historic property. My guest room in the Beechers (room 243) was very spacious and had large bay windows that provided picturesque views of the property. The breakfast in the Mansion was delicious & all of the staff was very hospitable and enhanced the stay that much more!

• Stayed December 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!