“Wonderful Experience at Spa and Loved the Room”

Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kinderhook, NY
“Wonderful Experience at Spa and Loved the Room”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My best friend and I had an amazing week-end. We arrived at the Cranwell at about 3:15 and were directed to our room at the Carriage House. No one helped us, but we like to do for ourselves. Found it just fine and it was beautiful and very spacious. Great view. Then we found our way to the spa for our massage and manicure. We loved everything about the spa, especially the steam room, hot tub, pool and quiet room. The ambiance at the spa hit the right note of service without being obsequious. The food at the Tavern was just OK. In the morning we headed back to the spa for more swimming, steam room and hot tub. (The temp in the pool was fine. If you are doing laps you need it to be a bit cooler. Makes the subsequent trip to the steam room more enjoyable.) We left at check-out time on the dot and were handed a flower for mother's day. I say grab a mother, sister or best friend and GO! Fantastic 24 hours!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sandstreet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I recently went to Cranwell Resort for the second time since New Years with my husband and 13 year old daughter. We went for two nights in the middle of the Easter Break. The hotel was empty, which was ok with us. We received a huge room in the Carriage House that was twice as large as the room we had the last time we were at the hotel. The room had great views, a huge bathroom and lots of space. I was happy that this time I had decaf coffee in my room and a great Keurig coffee machine. The beds were definitely firmer than in the room I stayed in the last time. The pool was peaceful though a little colder than the last time. The only disappointment this visit was the food at the tavern. They changed the menu and no longer have the onion soup and the build a burger. I had expensive but very dry salmon one night along with a greasy tasting udon noodle salad. The second night I chose a plain grilled chicken sandwich that was dry. The only good thing about the sandwich was the price. I did not order dessert during this visit but the dessert was great when I was at the hotel in January. I will go back to the hotel in the future but hope that the food in the tavern improves.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Near many wonderful attractions in a beautiful setting, The Cranwell was not as good as it should be. The main house with the dining and reception rooms is charming and I could see how on a warm June day a wedding would be lovely. The food was tasty but for a travel destination, I would pass. The rooms are a long walk away from the main house and done in a décor that I would call early New England ugly. The furniture is chipped and the wall thin enough to hear through. Our TV didn't work but was replaced immediately. I couldn't find a hair dryer ( Thankfully I always bring a travel one) The staff was very nice and helpful although a young lady at the door of the mansion seemed dazed and confused. There is no gift shop except for the one at the spa , so no sundries or magazines Although , if you ask they will deliver a newspaper to your room in the AM. You can go to Sloane's Tavern near the outdoor swimming pool for food and it is quite good ( our week-end was cold and rainy and I might have a better review if it had been sunny). Except for the Spa. The Spa is terrible. I don't care how high it is rated. They never asked me any questions or took a medical history. They charged me for the massage and tacked on a high tip before I had it. The young lady that gave me the massage was not personable and burned me with the hot stones. Half-way through I asked for a regular massage and she said well there isn't enough time to go back and do it over and then just lost interest. She blamed me for not knowing what a hot stone massage was. I had had one on the Royal Princess in Feb. that was just fantastic ( I had fallen and couldn't turn my neck and the lady saved my cruise).I have been to many New England classic resorts including ones in Cooperstown, Lake George and Manchester VT. Unless you are going for the golf I'd rather stay in town at the Red Lion Inn.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the ground floor, you need to keep the curtains closed all the time and then i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelartist0
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
I'm certainly sorry you were disappointed in some of what you experienced with us here at Cranwell. Your right, if you didn't like your massage, then the other ratings don't really matter to you and your personal experience. You are also correct that we receive many very favorable comments regarding our spa experience as well as the resort as a whole and with that you should expect the same for yourself. Based on the well intended efforts of our associates that you found along the way, I can assure you this was not typical of our guests experience.

I'm confident we can fulfill what you expect from us based on the many, many happy guests who thank us for a wonderful break from it all and I'm more than willing to help make you next stay just as you want it to be. Feel free to call me directly, always here to help our guests.

PS - Just to clarify for anyone visiting the area, the Red Lion Inn is in Stockbridge MA 15 minutes south of Lenox, where we are located. Nice town and nice country inn on main street.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We loved Cranwell. The staff was outstanding and friendly. The food was delicious. The spa and gym facilities were all first rate. Golf was fun too! It's right off the Mass Pike and nestled in the heart of the Berkshires. We would definitely stay at Cranwell again!

Room Tip: Pick the Mansion Suites. They are luxurious and a throwback to a bygone era!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Southborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 April 2014

What a disappointment:
- room was outdated with hair on bathroom floor and stains on the sheets.
- spa experience was awful and woman at spa desk was unhelpful and rude
- pool was beautiful, but so cold we couldn't enjoy. Sat in the room for a while. Lots of kids were going in, but adults kept commenting that it was too cold to go in.
- The spa made an error w / my appointment, and could only give me one of the two services I was scheduled for. They did give a refund, but we still paid for more than we received.
- Was told there would be hot chocolate and light fare near reception in the morning, but nothing.
- Was exceptionally difficult to access any food. Staff were very unhelpful. At one point I was so hungry and misinformed that I asked if there was any way I could order any kind of food (a yogurt, muffin, anything) and was told they didn't have the authority to arrange something like that.
- breakfast buffet in main mansion house was SO awful, we tried to just laugh about it. We were even told by the server to avoid certain dishes because they had dried out and weren't really edible. French toast was so hard I couldn't even cut with a knife. Potatoes were dried out and awful. No eggs left, drinks ordered but never brought. No refund offered.
- a hefty price for the worst stay we've ever had anywhere.
- called and emailed asking the manager to get in touch with me. No one ever returned my call or email.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Stacie B
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Stacie B,

I'm very sorry for your disappointment - what you describe is very different from so many of our guests experience here at Cranwell. We work to ensure our guests are accommodated in any way possible and I'm sorry your experience was so different from what we intend. I will review each of the concerns you have outlined, as we are careful to do with all our guests feedback, to ensure we are making the necessary adjustments based on our guests experiences.

I'm happy to talk with your directly to respond to your individual concerns in greater detail.

Perhaps you would return to find a very different experience - more in line with our typical guest stay.

Carl Pratt

Monterey, California
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Last weekend we held our annual family reunion at the Cranwell (60 of us) and it was perfect. The rooms in the Carriage House were huge, well-appointed and comfortable.

The spa treatments were great and the facilities are clean and attractive. All my cousins who had massages were very happy (and we are a picky group). I had a body skin treatment that was excellent and my daughter loved her facial. The spa lunch was a nice note and the barley/shrimp salad was spot on.

The Saturday night banquet was astonishingly good. It is nearly impossible to serve 60 people well-prepared food at the same time, but the Cranwell turned out superb food from the herb-encrusted tempeh for vegans, to salmon, to a perfectly medium-rare beef tenderloin. The accompanying vegetables were cooked just right—not underdone or overdone, and flavorful and colorful.

Banquet manager Nick and the waitstaff were terrific at all our food and drink events.

The Cranwell is beautiful and a wonderful place to relax.

Room Tip: The Carriage House is great.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My friend and I went away for a quick girl's weekend of R&R. The property and staff were great, however my massage was so bad that it ruined the stay for me. At these prices, I would only expect top-notch masseuses. Bummed that wasn't what the case.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. We heard the people in the room above us all night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Wheatleigh
Wheatleigh
#8 of 16 in Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!