“Over Rated Property”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Over Rated Property”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We are frequent travelers at high end resorts, but have never felt compelled to write a review to report such a bad experience.

The first most disappointing aspect of this resort is that the rooms are poorly maintained and are dirty. There were stains on furnishings, worn carpet and furniture, and dirt and stains on counters and furniture that had not been cleaned. We asked to change rooms. The second room was less dated, but was also not properly cleaned and worn. Since we had driven over two hours from Boston, we decided to stay and make the best of it. We then thought that we would enjoy dinner. Unfortunately, we were seated next to the kitchen in a small dining room despite the fact that we had a reservation. The waiter was unexperienced, although nice, and the service was slow. Some dishes never arrived. When we attempted to speak with the manager; he admitted that we were seated in a bad table and that they had mad a mistake with our reservation, but made no attempt to rectify the situation. Some of the dishes were ok, some not great. One would expect a much higher caliber of food for the prices charged in the restaurant ($30-40 per entree). This is NOT a high-end resort. The resort has poor service and is poorly maintained. Try the Black Point Inn in Southern Maine for an old New England Resort with GREAT SERVICE, GREAT AMENITIES and a GREAT restaurant. A historic site does not need to equate to dirty, poorly maintained and poor service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Joe S
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Joe S,

I'm of course sorry for your disappointment during your recent experience with us here at Cranwell. As you noted, we have many very happy guests who enjoy their time with us so I certainly understand your high expectations. I appreciate your feedback and the specific concerns so that I can more directly address these issues with housekeeping and with our continued efforts improve and update our rooms.

I would be more than happy to talk with you directly when you are considering returning to the Berkshires and personally select your accommodations that I believe would be more in line with your expectations. I hope to hear from you and have the opportunity to show you what so many of our guests are talking about.

Carl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
North Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I travel in New England a lot, but spend very limited time in the Berkshires. I attended an all day conference at Cranwell Resort and found the setting to be lovely. The staff was helpful and friendly. The dinner provided at the end of the all day meeting was surprisingly tasty (conference food generally is not). The accommodations were clean if a bit dated. The amenities on site were solid. Nice fitness facility.

Room Tip: Cottages are great for more space an privacy. Founder's Cottage connects to the spa and fitness...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Revere, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I wanted to surprise my wife for her 50th birthday and take her to a place we have never been to before. I'm glad I chose Cranwell. Beautiful rooms, breathtaking views, first class staff. We both loved the Spa and Sloan's Tavern. Even though it's normally out of my price range, I would come here again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pmundis1967
Enfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had our wedding and first anniversary here. They have perfected everything to the last detail and do anything and everything to make your stay/event memorable. I'd recommend this to everyone. There is nothing I can find wrong about this place.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As a frequent visitor to Southern Berkshire County, I've been aware of Cranwell for many years, and driven past it too many times to count! For a change, I decided to stop driving by and book a room. The overnight (along with some spa treatments) was a surprise birthday getaway for my husband. We were really delighted with the spa, grounds, rooms, and staff. Cranwell is lovely, relaxing, and fun! Truly, this is an outstanding staff: Are were friendly, accommodating, and laid-back.

I am putting a "very good" only because we had to switch rooms. The one we were initially given was amazing and featured a lovely sitting area with a private deck. I hated to move, but sadly, the headboard of the bed shared a wall with the world's loudest soda machine. If I were Management, I would create Beecher's Cottage's best room by moving the soda machine (and ice maker) to the basement.

(Note: I've read some less-than-positive reviews and couldn't quite figure out why they were negative. I think it might be that some folks conflate Cranwell with its much more expensive neighbor, Blantyre. They are two totally different experiences, so perhaps be sure of what you want/need before booking.)

Room Tip: We were in Beecher's Cottage, and had to move due to proximity to a loud soda vending machine, w...
Green Features: Loved the focus on sustainable practices, particularly with regard to towel and linen reuse, energy savings, and low-impact groundskeeping.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Southendgirl
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Happy Belated Birthday to your husband. We're so glad that you finally decided to stay with us after driving by so many times. Judging from your experience and wonderful comments, we're hoping that we can expect your return. Comments on your room in Beecher's are duly noted and we thank you for that feedback.
Kinderhook, NY
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My best friend and I had an amazing week-end. We arrived at the Cranwell at about 3:15 and were directed to our room at the Carriage House. No one helped us, but we like to do for ourselves. Found it just fine and it was beautiful and very spacious. Great view. Then we found our way to the spa for our massage and manicure. We loved everything about the spa, especially the steam room, hot tub, pool and quiet room. The ambiance at the spa hit the right note of service without being obsequious. The food at the Tavern was just OK. In the morning we headed back to the spa for more swimming, steam room and hot tub. (The temp in the pool was fine. If you are doing laps you need it to be a bit cooler. Makes the subsequent trip to the steam room more enjoyable.) We left at check-out time on the dot and were handed a flower for mother's day. I say grab a mother, sister or best friend and GO! Fantastic 24 hours!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sandstreet
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I recently went to Cranwell Resort for the second time since New Years with my husband and 13 year old daughter. We went for two nights in the middle of the Easter Break. The hotel was empty, which was ok with us. We received a huge room in the Carriage House that was twice as large as the room we had the last time we were at the hotel. The room had great views, a huge bathroom and lots of space. I was happy that this time I had decaf coffee in my room and a great Keurig coffee machine. The beds were definitely firmer than in the room I stayed in the last time. The pool was peaceful though a little colder than the last time. The only disappointment this visit was the food at the tavern. They changed the menu and no longer have the onion soup and the build a burger. I had expensive but very dry salmon one night along with a greasy tasting udon noodle salad. The second night I chose a plain grilled chicken sandwich that was dry. The only good thing about the sandwich was the price. I did not order dessert during this visit but the dessert was great when I was at the hotel in January. I will go back to the hotel in the future but hope that the food in the tavern improves.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
#4 of 16 in Lenox
Wheatleigh
Wheatleigh
#8 of 16 in Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!