Attention guests, especially those traveling with children:
Whether one is staying at a fine resort or a roadside motel, the most basic expectation is that the lodging is safe and is properly outfitted with an operational fire alarm system. Cranwell failed us and many other guests in this regard and responded with a chaotic and utterly unreasonable response to a crisis.
Our stay at Cranwell was cut short due to a nightmare experience. During our second day at the resort, we noticed that the fire alarm panel in our building was beeping and displaying a message indicating that there was trouble with the system. We called the front desk and was told that it would be looked at by maintenance. Later in the day, upon returning to our building, we witnessed the panel in the same state. Calling the front desk again, we were assured that the problem would be addressed. That night, someone (I’m not sure if it was an employee or guest) woke my family and me up by frantically banging on our door and announcing that there was fire and smoke in the building. This frightened us greatly, to say the least, and we exited the building. No alarms were sounding as the alarm system did not work.
After retreating to the lawn to watch the firefighters, for whom we were very thankful,
do their work, we were given no direction, reassurance, or notice of any kind from the staff (save one employee who desperately tried to find a home for a lost copy of The Kite Runner). It would have been nice if the staff could have at least checked on us and asked us to congregate in the lobby or another comfortable location. Or . . . something. Much, much later, we were asked to meet in the lobby for new accommodations at another resort. After relocating the other displaced guests, we were not offered equal accommodations due to the fact that we were traveling with children. The organization and customer service that followed this very scary experience showed that Cranwell has no contingency plan for a safety issue and no sympathy for its guests or the order or manner in which they should be acknowledged. Treated rudely and as second-class guests, we garnered the support of other guests but not the staff or general manager. We couldn’t return to our room, obviously, as our building was deemed unsafe for the foreseeable near future, were not offered a reasonable alternative and equal accommodation after waiting our turn, and wound up driving home at midnight in a state of utter distress.
I hope this helps paint a picture of the resort and its lack of basic safety and customer concerns. This is not a review of the grounds or amenities but perhaps shows an aspect of lodging that we often take for granted but shouldn’t.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched high on a hilltop in Lenox, MA, Cranwell Resort, Spa and Golf Club offers spectacular views for every season. Enjoy one of the largest spas in the Northeast along with elegant accommodations, fine dining, outstanding amenities and exceptional service. Whether your visit is for a weekend getaway, business meeting or stylish wedding or event, Cranwell Resort, Spa and Golf Club offers the ultimate resort experience on 380-acres snuggled in the heart of the Berkshires. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club Hotel Lenox
- Cranwell Resort, Spa And Golf Club
- Cranwell Hotel Lenox
- Cranwell Resort Lenox
- Cranwell Resort Anbd Spa Lenox