Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Very Good 4/5
Average 3/5
Wheatleigh(Lenox)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewssloane's tavernquiet roomplay golfindoor poolsteam roomdriving rangebeautiful resortdifferent buildingscarriage housethe cottagesfitness centerthe main dining roomgirls weekendfine diningmusic roomoff seasonberkshire mountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 June 2007

My wife and I and out two daughters (14 & 18) stayed at the Cranwell Resort 6/13-14/07. We had a great room, actually a suite with a masterbedroom with king sized bed and a sitting room with a pull out couch. There was a large bathroom between the two rooms. Each room had a TV.

Every aspect of our stay at Cranwell exceeded our expectations. At around 10:30 PM on 11/13 we went to the bar at the Mansions for a light snack (we had been told it would be open to 11), and even though the bartender was actually closing up he graciously took care of us and got us food.

The Spa was great with an indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna and steam room, and each of us had a massage.

We were a little early in the season for the Berkshires and there was little in the way of cultural activities, but that was not what we really wanted, so this time of year was great for our needs.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 June 2007

I just returned from my second visit to Cranwell and I can understand why some of the reviews on this site are mixed. You have to know what you are getting, and be sure it is right for you. Cranwell is set on a lovely rolling spot in the Berkshires, a very convenient location for the many cultural amenities of the area (Tanglewood, etc) . It is also a convenient location between Boston and New York and a hot spot for fancy destination weddings. If you don't want to be in a resort where a wedding is taking place (everywhere), then this is not the place for you, at least during wedding season(s).

While we were there a glitzy wedding was set for each night of the weekend, and even though this is a big property, you can't help but be aware that there's a big party going on and you're not invited. This didn't bother us and we enjoyed the parade of guests in their wedding finery, but I know some people don't care for that.

The good things: The spa is excellent and the facilites and staff top notch. Expensive, but what resort spa treatments aren't? they have a large indoor pool and all the extras in the spa, which is what attracted us. A great spot for a spa getaway.

The food in the main dining room was very good, and the service quite attentive and personal, even quirky as the waiter regaled us with stories of the history of dining room - again some people enjoy that sort of thing (we do) some don't. The food at the other restaurant - Sloane's Tavern - is more basic but served in a friendly style in huge portions.

The not so good: the rooms themselves are nothing special. Ours was kind of standard issue chain-syle decor and we couldn't get the king bed we wanted. Most annoying was the noise in the early morning from people getting ice from the icemaker before they set out for their early morning round of golf. Please! move the ice machine far away from the rooms.

Also not so good is that there is no breakfast available at Sloane's tavern - which is at one end of the resort - instead you have to walk a long way to the other end of the property to get some food in the morning. Although I was able to get one of the waitstaff to bring me a cup of coffee from Sloane's - I must have looked desperate. (and again, each staff person I met was very accomodating and well trained) They need at least a minimal breakfast service at that end of the property.

As another writer said, you need to be aware that this is a campus type setting and the buildings are far apart, so be prepared for plenty of walking. They have shuttles that will come when called, but I'd rather walk - but if you have some in your party for whom this would be inconvenient, be aware.

All in all, we enjoyed ourselves and will be back again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RdSxfn
Reviewed 3 June 2007

My husband and I just came back from a weekend to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and thought we were staying at what sounded like a top notch resort. I have had better experiences at a motel than at Cranwell. First, for $355 a night, I would expect a room larger than what we got - basically, a queen sized bed, a small chair and a desk - I have had larger and nicer rooms at a Holiday Inn or other mid priced hotel than this place. We stayed at Beecher's Cottage which is an older building and it showed. Whenever someone used water in the building, it sounded like the water was running in the walls in our room. We went out for the day, and came back to find our room wide open, presumably by the housekeeping staff. The food was just OK, nothing spectacular. We complained about all of this, but they basically had a "We don't give a hoot" attitude and obviously don't care anything about customer service. The one plus was the golf course which was very nice with outstanding views, but was pricey.

The "resort" is not what is presented in the hotel's website and it really is a stretch to call it a resort at all. With what we paid for our tiny room, we probably could have gotten a suite or larger at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2007

My fiance and I spent a weekend with another couple and everyone loved it.

We all had massages, although pricey, well deserved and relaxing. The spa facility is clean, the staff was courteous and overall the spa was a pleasant experience.

Our rooms were new, spacious, clean and comfortable. We all stayed in the townhouse located close to the porperties Tavern.

The restaurant was delicious. Everyone raved about the food. I enjoyed my steak and the wine that I chose to chase it down. The wine list was extensive. I f you love wine, you'll love the list.

Our "Mini" getaway had only one hitch which was resolved within minutes. Our friends were given the wrong key and once we called a Cranwell employee arrived within minutes.

I will certaintly go back to the Cranwell, as will my friends.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BigCristo
Reviewed 13 March 2007

We held our daughters wedding at Cranwell in October. From the start, the staff (Chris, Samantha) were fabulous with handling details. We attended a tasting about 2-3 months prior and thought the food was superb.

Day of the wedding. Well it's fall in New England and the sun was shining with temps about 65. Cranwell looked great and the views were astounding. Held an outdoor cocktail reception, open bar and passed hors d'ouevres. Wait staff was extremely attentive and the quality of this food was incredible and plentiful. Dinner food was just OK, salad course was excellent, ravioli were either hard or soft, nothing in the middle. Entree's were so-so. The biggest disappointment was the bar service. Wines we had selected or told would be available were not and the bill for open bar was not detailed. Negotiating for a detailed bill afterward became the biggest nightmare ever.

For the price they charge for food, should have been much better quality and please do watch the choice of open bar by consumption. Could have found same quality food and views as nice at several other Western Ma venues for about 50% less.

• Stayed: October 2006