“Absolute perfection”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, NY
“Absolute perfection”
Reviewed 7 August 2007

I had my wedding at the Cranwell on June 30th, 2007. The only way to describe the entire weekend was absolute perfection. From the moment we stepped on the property, everyone working at the Cranwell was friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Every guest at our wedding commented on what a classy, lovely place we had chosen for our wedding and how wonderful everyone at the resort was.

Every detail surrounding the wedding day was masterfully organized by Samantha Talora, who is a true gem. Every detail of the day was carefully planned out, and I had no suprises at all on the day of the wedding.

The food at the cocktail hour and reception was phenomenal. The food was succulent and seemed to constantly appear. Our guests commented that they never had to ask for a particular appetizer because there was always a fresh tray nearby. The soup, salad, and entrees were delicious. I want to go back so that I can really enjoy the food, as I was only able to take a few bites at my wedding. After the whole reception was over, they boxed up the remainder of the dessert table and brought it to my bridal suite.

The rooms at the Cranwell, though pricey, were unbelievable. My family had some of the larger rooms in the mansion. To say they were large is an understatement - they were palatial! They were the nicest rooms I have ever seen in a hotel. All of the other guests commented that their rooms were wonderful, too.

I did not take advantage of the spa services, but those that did commented that it was great. My husband did play golf, and he and his friends had a wonderful time and loved the course.

If I had to do my wedding over again, there is not one change I would make when it comes to the Cranwell. I will go back in the future time and again to stay at this wonderful place, even though I only live 45 minutes away from the Berkshires. And I would unequivocally recommend the Cranwell to any couple trying to find a place for their wedding.

• Liked — The food, the rooms, the service, the wedding coordinator
1 Thank RunNYC1024

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 July 2007

Because we were attending a symposium at the hotel, we decided to stay at Cranwell having heard wonderful things about it. To say that what we heard were overstatements is to say that our overall experience was not good. Checking in was easy and the clerk at the front desk was accommodating. Our room was in the Beecher Cottage on the second floor.

Cranwell is an old New England resort with rooms spread across the property in several buildings. Beecher Cottage was built in the late 1800's and while it looked good, it would present several problems for someone with mobility issues. The front door was up several steps, opening onto a porch. Our room was on the second floor, up a big staircase. I could not find any elevators in the building; I can only assume that there are none.

Our room with two queen-size beds was very spacious and nicely, furnished. The bedside lamps were wonderful with excellent three-way lighting. The room also had two barrel chairs and a floor lamp between them, also with three-way lighting. (As a matter of fact, we have the same lamp in our bedroom.) There were three large windows overlooking the golf course and the hills beyond. And there was also a generous desk with drawers as well as a chest of drawers.

The bathroom was very big but quirky. The marble vanity was held against the wall by two pieces of wood; it had only one sink and since it was not level, things had a tendency to roll off. Similarly the tile floor was also slightly slanted as well. On the plus side, the lighting was excellent, however, the tub a generous length and, of course, there was lots of hot water.

The bed linens were another matter; they were rough! And for a room which might have been booked by a family with two small children, there were simply not enough bath linens to go around. Yes, there were the obligatory bathrobes, but no slippers.

The food was really poor, dinner in Sloane's Tavern notably so. One of us ordered broiled scallops which could have been used on the driving range since they were so tough they were inedible. The next night in the Music Room Grill, one of the steaks ordered rare had to be sent back since it was almost well-done. The waiter spilled water on the table each time he poured. A buffet breakfast was good but the bagels and bread were on the stale side.

Upon checking out, we discovered that there was a $40 dollar erroneous charge on the bill which was immediately removed but we later discovered that a number of other guests encountered the same problem.

Yes, the setting is beautiful and the golf course looked to be spectacular. A quick visit to the Spa presented a nice pool and good exercise facilities and schedule of classes.

Would we return to Cranwell? At more than $300 per night - and this was a conference rate, no less, the verdict is no.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank FendelV
Washington, DC
Reviewed 5 July 2007

I attended a family anniversary celebration, and the stay was mostly very pleasant; staff was mostly terrific (one or two were slightly overbearing), food was very good, the rooms were very nice in Bartletts Cottage (we had 5 rooms), and we made full use of the excellent spa and fitness room.

We are not golfers, and aside from the golfing and spa, there is little else to do here - so plan on leaving the grounds for any other activities; luckily, Lenox offers much to do. There is absolutely no night life on the grounds of any kind. The resort's bars close very early, so you again need to leave if you choose to socialize.

A caveat: be sure to check your billing carefully, and if you give them a credit card for incidentals, monitor it; I was charged on mine for almost $5000 (the stay had been charged properly, but the front desk clerk double-charged it to my card. It took several calls before I got a call back from the hotel agreeing to reverse the charge.)

• Liked — very comfortable and a beautiful setting
  • Disliked — absolutely no night life provided - this is supposed to be an all-inclusive resort
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
new york, ney york
Reviewed 20 June 2007

i don't understand the negative reviews. the spa itself was as nice as any i've been to, atleast on the east coast. the food was fine, about as good as any above average NYC spot. as far as the campus layout, we stayed at Founders, it was no more than a five minute walk to the main house where the restaurant was and the spa was less than a two minute walk. we went during the week, so i can imagine it was quieter than a weekend...especially one when a wedding was occuring, so that was good.
i would recommend this place to a friend and i would certainly go back again.

if you're going to get spa treatments, remember 'it's only money, you can't take it with you when you die'.

• Liked — the spa was great
  • Disliked — was not cheap
1 Thank crabbytraveler66
South Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2007

My wife and I and out two daughters (14 & 18) stayed at the Cranwell Resort 6/13-14/07. We had a great room, actually a suite with a masterbedroom with king sized bed and a sitting room with a pull out couch. There was a large bathroom between the two rooms. Each room had a TV.

Every aspect of our stay at Cranwell exceeded our expectations. At around 10:30 PM on 11/13 we went to the bar at the Mansions for a light snack (we had been told it would be open to 11), and even though the bartender was actually closing up he graciously took care of us and got us food.

The Spa was great with an indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna and steam room, and each of us had a massage.

We were a little early in the season for the Berkshires and there was little in the way of cultural activities, but that was not what we really wanted, so this time of year was great for our needs.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 June 2007

I just returned from my second visit to Cranwell and I can understand why some of the reviews on this site are mixed. You have to know what you are getting, and be sure it is right for you. Cranwell is set on a lovely rolling spot in the Berkshires, a very convenient location for the many cultural amenities of the area (Tanglewood, etc) . It is also a convenient location between Boston and New York and a hot spot for fancy destination weddings. If you don't want to be in a resort where a wedding is taking place (everywhere), then this is not the place for you, at least during wedding season(s).

While we were there a glitzy wedding was set for each night of the weekend, and even though this is a big property, you can't help but be aware that there's a big party going on and you're not invited. This didn't bother us and we enjoyed the parade of guests in their wedding finery, but I know some people don't care for that.

The good things: The spa is excellent and the facilites and staff top notch. Expensive, but what resort spa treatments aren't? they have a large indoor pool and all the extras in the spa, which is what attracted us. A great spot for a spa getaway.

The food in the main dining room was very good, and the service quite attentive and personal, even quirky as the waiter regaled us with stories of the history of dining room - again some people enjoy that sort of thing (we do) some don't. The food at the other restaurant - Sloane's Tavern - is more basic but served in a friendly style in huge portions.

The not so good: the rooms themselves are nothing special. Ours was kind of standard issue chain-syle decor and we couldn't get the king bed we wanted. Most annoying was the noise in the early morning from people getting ice from the icemaker before they set out for their early morning round of golf. Please! move the ice machine far away from the rooms.

Also not so good is that there is no breakfast available at Sloane's tavern - which is at one end of the resort - instead you have to walk a long way to the other end of the property to get some food in the morning. Although I was able to get one of the waitstaff to bring me a cup of coffee from Sloane's - I must have looked desperate. (and again, each staff person I met was very accomodating and well trained) They need at least a minimal breakfast service at that end of the property.

As another writer said, you need to be aware that this is a campus type setting and the buildings are far apart, so be prepared for plenty of walking. They have shuttles that will come when called, but I'd rather walk - but if you have some in your party for whom this would be inconvenient, be aware.

All in all, we enjoyed ourselves and will be back again.

• Liked — The spa was great
  • Disliked — Rooms are only so-so
5 Thank RdSxfn
Greater Boston
Reviewed 3 June 2007

My husband and I just came back from a weekend to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and thought we were staying at what sounded like a top notch resort. I have had better experiences at a motel than at Cranwell. First, for $355 a night, I would expect a room larger than what we got - basically, a queen sized bed, a small chair and a desk - I have had larger and nicer rooms at a Holiday Inn or other mid priced hotel than this place. We stayed at Beecher's Cottage which is an older building and it showed. Whenever someone used water in the building, it sounded like the water was running in the walls in our room. We went out for the day, and came back to find our room wide open, presumably by the housekeeping staff. The food was just OK, nothing spectacular. We complained about all of this, but they basically had a "We don't give a hoot" attitude and obviously don't care anything about customer service. The one plus was the golf course which was very nice with outstanding views, but was pricey.

The "resort" is not what is presented in the hotel's website and it really is a stretch to call it a resort at all. With what we paid for our tiny room, we probably could have gotten a suite or larger at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge.

• Liked — The golf course
  • Disliked — The tiny room
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Wheatleigh
Wheatleigh
#8 of 16 in Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!