“The Perfect New England Getaway”
Review of Wheatleigh

Wheatleigh
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Hong Kong
“The Perfect New England Getaway”
Reviewed 28 November 2007

What a gem.

I first learned of the hotel from the Hip Hotels series, and was initially worried that the actual property may not look as impressive as the pictures taken by professional photographers.

Upon arrival, I realized that the property was even grander than the pictures! The atmosphere is indeed unique and unlike any hotel that I've ever been to. It has such character that it's the kind of place that French Vogue would rent for a photo shoot...

Everything at the Wheatleigh is perfect. Only things that I have comments on (certainly not "complain" about) are the gym and clientele. The gym is extremely small/primitive and doesn't have any strength training machines. I think I would expect more from a hotel of Wheatleigh's caliber. Meanwhile, the clientele is quite old and stuffy (think old Wall Street bankers with their wives)... which I suppose is not a bad thing but it's something to note.

I haven't been to the Blantyre but was told repeatedly by my friends from the Berkshires that the Wheatleigh is supposed to be better (and more modern) of the two.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank JPang

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York City
Reviewed 31 October 2007

I spent two nights at Wheatleigh in October 2007. It is an absolutely majestic property with a gorgeous view and incredible service. The leaves are changing this time of year so the vista is even more colorful than usual due to the foliage.

I would highly recommend this property to anyone, especially a couple seeking a romantic getaway. It is elegantly decorated in a modern, clean way giving it an old world grandeur without the chintz that comes with other properties nearby (such as the Relais poperty Blantyre which might suit my grandmother more than my generation).

I disagree with previous reviews that the sheets are not nice, I found them lovely and am accustomed to Pratesi, Frette etc, all the best.

The General Manager is a gem, a Swiss with real style and a perfect idea of hospitality. The staff are mainly European and young yet highly trained and professional.

We had the most relaxing and delicious meals in the restaurant.

I will say that Wheatleigh is an expensive property but I thought it was well worth every penny. Book a room that faces the back of the property with a fireplace and enjoy!!!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gallerinainNY
new york
Reviewed 8 January 2007

This hotel is both cozy and elegant, a perfect weekend get away. The service was exceptional and the food amazing. The salmon salad for lunch in the library and the black sea bass for dinner are especially good. The bathrooms with soaking tubs and showers are a must. Small details like fresh water next to your bed each night, a large pot of coffee with roomservice and attentive housekeeping made for a very comfortable and relaxing stay. We can not wait to return.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NYC10128
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 October 2006

Having just spent two nights at the fabulous Hotel Le St. James in Montreal, where everything is perfect at $400 a night, we were expecting big, big things from the Wheatleigh. And for the most part, we were not disappointed. The hotel itself is glorious in an elegant, understated way. But when it came time for turndown, and we slipped into bed, we regretted leaving our pajamas in our luggage: rough, pilled 50/50 sheets. So coarse, in fact, that we didn't want to roll over during the night. How is it possible for an establishment of that caliber to miss something so basic? We will probably never return to the Wheatleigh, thanks to the sheets and the undertrained neophyte staff. That said, the rooms (and bathrooms in particular) are outrageously beautiful. And the setting is incredible. So if you don't mind the feeling you get when you sleep on the sofabed at your Aunt Myrtle's house, the one with the sheets from JC Penney's circa 1979, then by all means visit the Wheatleigh.

• Liked — The elegantly renovated hotel itself
  • Disliked — the nasty sheets
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for all-cotton sheets or don't go
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
12 Thank misssnootysnoots
Sag Harbor, NY
Reviewed 24 December 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Wheatleigh for our honeymoon in December 2002 and we have been back for every anniversary since. This is not a hotel for families or travellers who enjoy a laid-back, casual bed & breakfast atmosphere. The Wheatleigh is very formal and is run by a former manager of the Ritz in Paris, it is very much serviced as if it were a grand European hotel. Nothing at the Wheatleigh is inexpensive, and all services and meals are a la carte. However, if you are looking for a truly five-star experience in a stunning setting away from the city, Wheatleigh will not let you down.

• Stayed December 2004
5 Thank LizaSagHarbor
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 23 October 2005

We stayed four ngihts and have already decided to return next October. We arrived around 8:00pm and immediatley the fun started. Within ten minutes we had three of the staff members in our room taking care of everything. Drinks and snack, down pillows replaced and directions for the next days outing. We had room service for breakfast each morning and what a relaxing way to start the day. Open the drapes and windows and enjoy the countryside. Food was perfect and I was impressed that as they rolled the table into the room along came another person with a dinning room chair so we didn't have to sit so low on the chusioned chairs. The staff will react according to how you act. Joke around and talk about sports or whatever and you find out all kinds of things about these peoples lives. They can tell you where to eat, what roads to take, what galleries to see, where to shop, where to relax and what time to leave to catch your flight.

As we arrived back each evening they asked how are day was and what we saw. If we talked about a place they hadn't been they asked directions and said they were going to see it soon. It was like staying with your nicest friends! And as far as the room they are the best. The Wheatleigh has the best showers in the world. I never did make it into the soaking tub because the water flow in the shower was too good to pass up. What more can I say then this is as good as it gets. They even packed a picnic for us to take on one of our day tirps. My only complaint is we didn't stay longer.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank knisely
New York
Reviewed 3 October 2005

Just returned from a dream weekend at The Wheatleigh. While this is probably the most expensive spot in the Berkshires, it is worth every single penny. As a very discriminating traveler, I know what's worth it...and this was worth it. Robb Report readers, this is your kind of place. The decor is impeccably elegant (no hideous doiles and creepy dolls on the shelves here), the food rivals NYC's finest restaurants, the service is perfection, and most important to me...the little luxuries are top-notch. The towels are soft and plush and stark white. The beds are firm but comfortable. The warm cookies upon arrival are heavenly. The lemonade on the terrace so refreshing. Ah....

Splurge on the Wheatleigh. You'll thank me.

• Stayed September 2005
11 Thank Annielovestotravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Wheatleigh? Share your experiences!