“Be warned: Nasty to visitors.”
Review of Wheatleigh

Wheatleigh
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
New York City
“Be warned: Nasty to visitors.”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We wanted to bring house guests to visit Wheatleigh for drinks on our way to Tanglewood. After calling the prior day, specifying the time of our visit and being assured of welcoming hospitality, we were coldly informed by a uniformed doorman that we should wait while he checked with the restaurant manager. A few minutes later, he returned to tell us that, "No one is available to serve us" and, "Sorry, but you must leave." You can imagine how embarrassed we were to be rudely turned away in front of friends -- especially when a couple seated nearby was enjoying drinks served by a waitress. Avoid this snooty place at all costs. Go to Blantyre or Cranwell.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank IntrepidTravelerNYC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Parkland, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2011

My husband and I have traveled the world and styed at the best hotel. 4 Season Paris, Rits Carlton Centrail Park, One and Only, ETC ETC. This hotel was by far the nicest, finest service, most luxurious stay ever. We stayed in the Terrace Suite and yes it was expensive, but wow it was spectacular. If you ever get a chnace do stay here.. it is a fantastic, wothwhole experience!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 December 2010

I literally set up an account to write this review. I am overwhelmed by the friendliness, cleanliness, kindness, and hospitality of the hotel. This is basically what happened to us:

1) We visited the hotel to get acquainted with the property, they gracefully welcomed us and showed us around the hotel (terrace suite, junior suite, and the aviary suite). We liked the property so much that we booked for dinner reservation. Up until dinner, we were strolling around the local shops of Lenox and when dinner time approached I headed for my car only to realize that I have BROKEN my spare key !!! We were literally stranded in the cold with no solution left. I called The Wheatleigh and told them about our situation, they sent us Claire, who is from Buffalo, New York to pick us up. She extremely kind, sweet, and very prompt. A comfortable and luxurious Audi picked us up from where we are and drove us to the hotel.

2) Claire went further and beyond, she sent someone to the store to purchase a super glue in order to fix my broken spare key. ( FOR FREE !! ) Fortunately, THE FIXED MY KEY AND NOW I CAN DRIVE MY CAR BACK TO BOSTON

3) We needed some privacy as we had to perform our prayers, Larrisa, who is from Zurich, Switzerland was extremely considerable and opened us one of the rooms in the hotel to pray in !!!!!!!!

4) After we had a fabulous meal at their restaurant, Claire drove us back in her Audi to where my car was parked. And now, with my fixed key, I unlocked the car and drove back home safely.

NOW, THE DILEMMA LIES IN THE FACT THEY WE WERE NOT EVEN GUESTS STAYING AT HOTEL !!!! WHAT IF WE WERE ?? I am sure we would be OVERLY SPOILED.

I really recommend this hotel, their rooms are beautiful and the property is magnificent. The entertainment system in the rooms are all Bang & Olufson. Loved Everything about it. I would like to thank Larrisa and Claire for their amazing generosity. And wish all the readers a chance to stay at his lovely place :)

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Mohwaz
NYC
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We stayed at the Wheatleigh for three nights in a junior suite. The room and amenities were wonderful. The service personnel (managers, front desk, housekeepers, porters) could not have been more gracious and eager to please. We stay at hotels/ inns of this caliber on a regular basis, and this hotel really has its "act together". It might be considered expensive but given the service and facilites it is a good value. The only downside was the waitstaff service in the dining room . You are better advised to eat at one of the many alternative restaurants in the area---although the dining room is a very romantic (if formal ) setting.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
ny
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I have never been to a hotel, let alone paid this much, and have gotten more value. This property is incredible. Everything was meticulously planned from housekeeping, to the restaurant, to the cookies and the complimentary bottle of champagne in our room at arrival. Not to mention there is no annoying 20% service charged added to everything like some properties. We went out to Lenox to Prime Steakhouse (see review) but wished we ate at Wheatleigh our entire stay. We will be back!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2010

A group of 10 of us went to celebrate a wonderful birthday and spent over $4500 (yes, you saw that right) on dinner & wine alone. The service was abysmal (they couldn't WAIT to get us out the door at 11 (and no, we weren't rowdy or obnoxious!) on a Friday night. The portions were like the MasterCard "oohhhh it's Elf Food!!" commercial and just about everything had an upcharge.

Now, I will say the presentation was lovely and the attempt was good, but WAY too much gastronomic fru-fru's over substance. Not at ALL worth the $165 pp for 3 courses. Save your dough and go two nights just about anywhere else in town instead...

The grounds and house, however, are lovely! So, maybe just go for a cocktail instead...

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SubstanceTraveler
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I spent a small fortune here attempting to go on a grand vacation. The place is gorgeous (the bathrooms are perfect) and the understated elegance of detail stunning. But then what? The dinner was crazy expensive ($600/4) and two of us got sick (one threw up.) One of us got cut on the side of the bed's protruding metal leg and the staff had no antiseptic. We had to wait too long a time for a coke as their remedy. I found the entire experience unfriendly, snobbish and uncaring. I would never recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2008
7 Thank artpulse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox

Been to Wheatleigh? Share your experiences!