“Five star experience”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Boston
“Five star experience”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Our 2 night stay at this property was memorable! We won the trip at a christmas party raffle.We could not normally afford such a getaway, the rates are in the thousands per night and if I was able to afford it , it would be worth it! The level of service was impressive and the property tranquil and understated.The room was very elegant and spacious, with high ceilings and fine fabric drapes. we had a small balcony that added space and comfort. The food was world class and well served. Quite an education on how the other half lives!

Room Tip: We had a corner suite with a view of the hills.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

There is nothing specifically wrong with the Wheatleigh - BUT - it is massively overpriced. The public rooms are unwelcoming and the bedroom (called a suite, but nothing could be further from the truth) - unmemorable - the bathroom could just about justify a two star rating - very clean, but poorly equipped.
The staff are extremely helpful, very polite and nothing is too much trouble. But the place is totally devoid of atmosphere.
The food especially dinner was very good, but again overpriced.
Would I stay there again ? Absolutely not.

Room Tip: Don't !
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Peter L
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Wheatleigh is one of the great small hotels of the world. We went for cocktails on the lawn on our last night in Lenox. From the time we drove in it was the most positive experience imaginable. The hotel is a villa built during the Gilded Age and has been restored in the most modern and elegant way without losing any charm. They have an international staff who did everything to make our visit memorable. From the time the valet took our car, we knew we were in for a treat. The young woman who escorted us to the lawn was from South Korea. She was charming and as elegant as the property. The valet who parked and returned our car was from Lyon, France. He couldn't have been nicer. Both made us feel we were honored guests even though we were only having cocktails. It is rare you can find this kind of service anymore, even at the best hotels. We will definitely return, but will stay there. We want to live in the Gilded Age if only for a long weekend. Bravo to the management who leave no detail to chance.

Room Tip: We didn't stay overnight, but there are a variety of room options.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rick M
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 28 July 2012

OVERVIEW:
Wheatleigh is easily one of the most impressive luxury countryside getaways that I've been to. However, it is expensive and has a very specific kind of understated appeal (i.e. I love it but it may not be for everybody). It is part of the LHW Group (Leading Hotels of the World), and according to Kiwi Collection (one of my favorite websites to search for luxury hotels) it scores 86 out of 100 (not many hotels receive more than 85). I am surprised that Wheatleigh doesn't receive any Black or even Gold stars from Fodor's guide. For me this hotel is such a great find that I am excitedly recommending it to friends and family who I think will appreciate a quiet country getaway in the East Coast.

LOCATION and LOGISTICS:
It is 2.5 hours away from New York (140 miles) and about 1 hour from Boston. The pleasant drive from NY in a late spring afternoon was surprisingly beautiful. Between Wheatleigh and Boston you can even drop by the Wretham Premium Outlets for a half day shopping spree (which we also did).

If you are not a US resident, I also recommend an airport transfer / limo service by Archer Limo (google it), owned and operated by Rick, a very pleasant and responsible elderly gentleman. Since he is not based in the big cities, he can offer much better rates with a much more personalized service. I.e. from NY approximately USD 350 one way before tipping.

PRICES and ROOMS:
Although the hotel's rack rates are extremely expensive (USD 1,500 ++ for a Junior Suite), especially considering that this is not in Lake Como or Portofino, I was fortunate enough to receive a special room rate and upgrade.

My Junior Suite was an extra large room with high ceilings, a large B&O TV, a fireplace, separate bathtub and shower, a small walk in closet, and little balcony overlooking the main lawn (nice place to read at night). There are 2 separate thermostats for the bathroom and bedroom. The large sofa / day bed can easily sleep one extra person. To my understanding this was their largest Junior Suite (all rooms, even in the same category are slightly different). Good towels, matress, pillows, linens, and toilet paper. Overall the feeling is bright, fresh, clean, well appointed, and very well thought of. Very satisfactory.

In hindsight however, I wish I hadn't insisted on getting their largest room and had gotten the secret "round room" instead; see below.

I asked for a quick tour around the various room categories, and in general rooms below the Junior Suite type are not recommended (compared to the usual Four Seasons rates, these small / regular room types are simply not worth USD 700 to 900 / night). Don't get me wrong, these rooms are still very nice, just overpriced, and I am the kind of person who spends a lot of time in the room.

The Junior Suite types and above however, are simply stunning! Ask for Junior Suite with the one of a kind "rounded walls". It is a bit smaller than my room but with a much higher wow factor. On my return visit, I will definitely stay here.

Or if your budget allows it, try the lovely ground level Terrace Suite which is even better in real life than in the pictures, with a double height glass window and direct access to the main lawn.

With a couple hundred bucks extra, consider going all the way up to the Aviary duplex for the ultimate experience (approximately USD 2,000 / night before discount or upgrade). This will allow you to wake up with a direct view among the top of the trees. The pictures simply do not do the rooms justice. Do note that this particular suite is not for the elderly as the stairs are not short.

SERVICE:
Service is on par with the Four Seasons. Very personalized, very professional, plenty of staff available without being distracting. Check-in process was in the room. Pre-arrival Concierge service was good too.

FOOD:
This was the only part of the stay that was not up to scratch. Considering the many excellent reviews regarding the culinary experience here, I was frankly quite disappointed. No, we did not dine in the main / formal dining room, but we did do several room service meals, trying both the regular menu and the fine dining selection. The items available are extremely limited (literally a couple of choices for each course), and even these are not exactly crowd pleasers. I understand that they are trying for a more interesting approach to the food, but I must say that it falls way short. None of the food are terrible, but they are also far from being satisfying. Luckily there are many decent casual restaurants available nearby (10 minutes by car).

FACILITIES:
There is a very beautiful outdoor heated pool located among the trees (yes the pictures doesn't lie). Too bad it wasn't open when I was there (I was 1 week too early in the spring / summer season). I would've loved to be reading my Kindle there. There is also a little gym I think (this time I didn’t bother checking it out, too tired after a 30 hour flight), and also a tennis court.

The main lawn is of course very beautiful (if you're into simple sprawling green expanse that is. If you don't like this kind of views that you are looking at the wrong hotel). I have a full panoramic 360 degree video showing the lawn and main building, shot in high definition with a wide angle lens and a polarizer. If anybody is interested just email me and I'll post it in youtube.

TIPS and OTHER THINGS:
Bring a book! Or even better an Amazon Kindle. I actually had mine shipped straight from Amazon to Wheatleigh (now it's only USD 79 for a basic Kindle).

Although Wheatleigh does not encourage young travelers, they do allow well behaved kids and babies, just ask nicely. They have free baby cribs, and also provide baby sitting service when requested in advance.

For breakfast go to the excellent Cafe Haven (we ate here twice even though breakfast was included in the hotel). For a simple lunch try the Olde Heritage Tavern (excellent clam chowder - as good as Legal Seafood's and better than some famous chowders in Cape Cod, also good pulled pork sandwich and burgers).

ALTERNATIVE HOTELS:
Blantyre Hotel which is located 5 minutes away is also very highly rated with a similar price level. It also has a great lawn, giant trees, a long winding driveway, and both indoor and outdoor swimming pools. The style however is a very different to Wheatleigh. I checked it out and was very glad I booked at Wheatleigh instead.

Imagine Wheatleigh to be open and bright with plenty of white and beige finishings. Imagine Blantyre to be the opposite, i.e. darker and stuffier (perhaps more for elderly travellers who appreciate formal dark wood panels and burgundy velvet drapes atmosphere). Blantyre is also very strict in enforcing their “no kids under 12 allowed” rule.

That is all for now, I hope this review has been helpful. I will try to put on more pictures (especially the indoor areas) when I have the time.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank zingerzinger
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed there last month. Room 2G I believe. We were greeted at the door and were offered champagne (nice touch!). Nice heated pool that they opened just for us past 9PM when it normally closed. The little park they have was designed by a fellow (don't remember a name) who designed a central park in NYC. Bathrooms and amenities are awesome. They have a small gym in the basement which I used and find it adequate. They provide bikes to ride around. Hint: behind tennis court there is a shortcut road that leads to Tanaglewood (less then a mile walk). The only odd thingy to me was wall to wall carpeting (which is weird for Italian Palazzo) and widows do not have screens (but must say with open windows all day/night bugs for some reason did not enter the room). Nice linens. Excellent service /stuff.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DinamoFan1
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We had spent a beautiful day in Lenox and googled places to eat on my Ipad. up came all of the familiar restaurants in town, then we saw the listing for the Wheatleigh and we made a reservation. What a find. True elegance. You drive up a long circular driveway, they open your car door for you and greet you by name and they valet the car. We then went it to this beutiful Mansion. We were wearing summer capris and nice tops but the elegant ambiance of the place made us feel undressed. We had drinks inside only because it was sooo hot, butthey have a beautiful backyards and tables set up with umbrellas that you can have drinks at. You can have dinner in the Library or in the diningroom. We chose the Library.The food was amazing. The service flawless. They even cater to fussy vegans who have allergies. They have an extensive wine list and let you taste the wine you have ordered before pouring the glass. Ladies they have amazing product in the ladies room, and we didnt know this when we made the reservation but its a top notch Hotel. If you you need a place to stay in New England THIS IS IT!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marli0209
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Though we were there for just 1 night, the Wheatleigh exceeded all expectations. Full of charm and elegance, the property is magnificient with stunning grounds, beautiful rooms and excellent dining. The service was exceptional across the board. We walked to Tanglewood (a true benefit) for an evening concert and the kitchen stayed open late for us so that we could have dinner when we returned. Though pricey, the instant relaxation once there made it more than worth it. We will return for 2 nights next time.

Room Tip: Our junior suite on the second floor was perfectly situated.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Wheatleigh? Share your experiences!