“An intimate, classy B&B, but definitely not worth $1000/nite”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wheatleigh

Wheatleigh
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Lenox
New York City, New York
“An intimate, classy B&B, but definitely not worth $1000/nite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

My husband and I visited the Wheatleigh for a very brief respite from NYC. Overall, the mansion is lovely; classical architecture (grand, oversized mouldings, Tiffany windows, etc) is accented by clean, contemporary furnishings that are warm rather than overly modern/spare. We were very pleased with the service, which is definitely more European/international than traditionally American. We loved the fact that the staff seemed to anticipate every want -- when we arrived, our bags were unloaded and placed in our room while we dined; in the morning, our car was parked in the circular drive and bottles of water were placed in the cupholders for our departure. We appreciated being personally shown to our room after dinner (rather than before as we were starving) even though it was almost 11 pm. Amenities were consistent with hotels/inns of this caliber; Zegna bath accessories, premium linens and bedding, hi tech tv's, etc. We didn't make use of the gym, but it seemed pretty lacking in equipment, etc.

Although the dining room was closed (we didn't arrive until 9 pm), we had two very good meals in the library and portico. Again, service was attentive but not too obtrusive. Dinner was quite good (we had lamb and langoustines) and the butternut squash soup was excellent and quite memorable. The omelete souffle was creative, well executed and simply delicious. The food was generally a bit on the pricey side, but much better than most 5-star hotels, particularly the chains.

All in all, a wonderful, relaxing experience. But definitely not worth $1,000 per nite.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2008

Wheatleigh is indeed a beautiful mansion. I really want to love this place and go back there again, but there are some major problems with this place.

The property is beautifully maintained, the style is simple and elegant. Their garden and the legendary Tiffany window is gorgeous, worth a visit.

We booked a junior suite, but it is not really a suite, more like a spacious room. Terrace area is small, but the Berkshire view is lovely. Our suite/room is tastefully done, and they did take the details seriously. The bed is comfy, and they use Molton Brown in the bathroom.

However, the service is 3 stars or less. Staffs are not professional and not friendly. They either forget to offer you the butter knife at dining table, forget when you book the reservation, forget that you have paid the deposit, double charge you and forget to tell you about it. They couldn't care less when you're trying to have a conversation with them, and yes, we're not stupid, we can tell.

What really drawed us there was the great reviews of their dining room. Unfortunately, it was a big disappointment too. I guess the whole concept of "unmasked flavor of the food" is not really our thing. I mean, I have never tasted oysters that small and that dull. The tuna sashimi did not taste fresh either. I ordered the tasting menu, and the only good plate was probably the beef.

The dining room itself is beautiful though. If you're looking for ambiance, this is the place.

All in all, this is a really cold but beautiful place. If you're into modern style, and don't care about the cold service and boring food, this would be the place for you.

For us, we will not go back unless someone pay for the price tag.

If you're looking for a nice country getaway, go to Blantyre. It is warm and inviting, and much better value than Wheatleigh.

• Liked — Room, Architecture
  • Disliked — Food, Service
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank babygenius
Coconut Grove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2008

This is one of the most special properties you will find anywhere. The space, the artwork and interior design is outstanding. The rooms are outfitted in superior quality furnishings, bedding, linens and toiletries. Service is impeccable.

We arrived late in the evening due to flight delays, and although the dining room had closed, we were treated to some fine soup and baked goods in front of the fireplace. The staff made us feel at home immediately.

Breakfast was served in a beautiful glass pavilion with views of the Berkshires. Perhaps the breakfast experience was enhanced by some fresh snow and bright blue winter skies.

Dinner was superb in every way. The menu was extensive. The wine list was impressive.

We are experienced travelers, and found our experience at Wheatleigh to be among our most memorable.

• Liked — It is a beautiful building, superbly decorated, great food and service.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JCRoe
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2007

It is with great disappointment I write this review. Until recently, the Wheatleigh used to be a very special place for my fiancé and me. We got engaged there and always thought it would be a place where we would want to return for all the fond memories the Wheatleigh held. Unfortunately, those memories have recently soured.

We were hoping to throw our wedding at the Wheatleigh. We went up to visit with the manager, Marc Wilhelm, to discuss whether the hotel might be the right place for our wedding. Marc gave us a tour of the property and told us that the Wheatleigh throws weddings in one way, but perhaps more accurately his way. We were told we wouldn’t be allowed to hold our reception in a marquee outside. We were told we had to serve sorbet at the end of the meal. We were told that if dinner wasn’t served in separate rooms our guests would get drunk in order to muster the courage to dance while being watched by all.

While I understand that Marc has much experience at helping with weddings at the Wheatleigh, our wedding is not his wedding. It would be my hope, like I believe most brides, to have some input into what goes on during the festivities. But Marc didn't seem to agree. We left our meeting with Marc thinking that we might be able to come to a compromise on how best to proceed. Marc disagreed. He wrote to us the next day telling us that the Wheatleigh “is not the right place for the kind of wedding we envision,” and that he invited us to look elsewhere.

Sadly, we no longer want to throw our wedding at the Wheatleigh. Our experience with Marc has since changed our minds. Most disappointingly though is that we will no longer fondly remember the place where we got engaged.

Stayed February 2007
43 Thank ny166
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

What a gem.

I first learned of the hotel from the Hip Hotels series, and was initially worried that the actual property may not look as impressive as the pictures taken by professional photographers.

Upon arrival, I realized that the property was even grander than the pictures! The atmosphere is indeed unique and unlike any hotel that I've ever been to. It has such character that it's the kind of place that French Vogue would rent for a photo shoot...

Everything at the Wheatleigh is perfect. Only things that I have comments on (certainly not "complain" about) are the gym and clientele. The gym is extremely small/primitive and doesn't have any strength training machines. I think I would expect more from a hotel of Wheatleigh's caliber. Meanwhile, the clientele is quite old and stuffy (think old Wall Street bankers with their wives)... which I suppose is not a bad thing but it's something to note.

I haven't been to the Blantyre but was told repeatedly by my friends from the Berkshires that the Wheatleigh is supposed to be better (and more modern) of the two.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank JPang
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2007

I spent two nights at Wheatleigh in October 2007. It is an absolutely majestic property with a gorgeous view and incredible service. The leaves are changing this time of year so the vista is even more colorful than usual due to the foliage.

I would highly recommend this property to anyone, especially a couple seeking a romantic getaway. It is elegantly decorated in a modern, clean way giving it an old world grandeur without the chintz that comes with other properties nearby (such as the Relais poperty Blantyre which might suit my grandmother more than my generation).

I disagree with previous reviews that the sheets are not nice, I found them lovely and am accustomed to Pratesi, Frette etc, all the best.

The General Manager is a gem, a Swiss with real style and a perfect idea of hospitality. The staff are mainly European and young yet highly trained and professional.

We had the most relaxing and delicious meals in the restaurant.

I will say that Wheatleigh is an expensive property but I thought it was well worth every penny. Book a room that faces the back of the property with a fireplace and enjoy!!!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gallerinainNY
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2007

This hotel is both cozy and elegant, a perfect weekend get away. The service was exceptional and the food amazing. The salmon salad for lunch in the library and the black sea bass for dinner are especially good. The bathrooms with soaking tubs and showers are a must. Small details like fresh water next to your bed each night, a large pot of coffee with roomservice and attentive housekeeping made for a very comfortable and relaxing stay. We can not wait to return.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NYC10128
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Wheatleigh? Share your experiences!