“Really happy with this choice”
Review of Yankee Inn

Yankee Inn
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Lenox
Reviewed 14 August 2013

When trying to find somewhere to stay in Lenox, I discovered that the exact kind of place I was looking for didn't exist. There are extremely expensive accomodations like Cranwell and there are Motels. What I was looking for was a conviently located nice hotel with indoor and outdoor pool and restaurant. That does not exist. I ended up choosing the Yankee Inn and I am very happy with the choice as the pros very much outweighed the cons. It is on a strip of highway outside the town. You could conceivably walk to some places to eat (such as a Subway across the street and a Friendly's about .2 miles away) but as I was traveling with my elderly mother nothing was really in our walking distance. However, EVERYTHING was within a few miles driving distance - and I really do mean a few - like less than 5 for almost every. A dozen good restaurants about 3 miles away. The hotel itself was nice enough. We had a fisrt floor room very close to everything as I had requested. I know some rooms have nice views. Ours didn't but that was ok because what I had wanted was to be near to things and we definitely were. Front desk, indoor pool and hot tub, elevator to breakfast, parking lot, lounge, everything I wanted or needed was just steps away. The room was pleasant though my mom would have preferred more storage space. The room itself was big enough but there were very few drawers (2 empty ones) and not a lot of empty surface space. The beds were very comfortable and we had lots of pillows. My only real complaint about the Yankee Inn was the showerhead. It really looked like it was going to be good, it was a handheld, but even on the strongest setting there really wasn't much water. However I did love the small indoor pool (5 feet at deep end) and the hot tub. Both were perfect temperatures and clean and we actually had them to ourselves for 2 nights straight. Really enjoyable. I was also glad to have the lounge (was open during our stay on Thurs, Fri and Sat night I believe). Since the good restaurants were all in driving range I didn't want to have more than one glass of wine at dinner. This way I could come back and get a second. I have to say the front desk staff was very nice and helpful, really lovely girls. Only staff issue we had was on our first day there, we left our room at 9:15 am and put on the sign to have the room made up. The maid was in our hallway at the time. When we returned 5 hours later for my mom to take her afternoon nap they still hadn't cleaned the room. I said something about this and it did not repeat. We ate the continental breakfast every day. On the weekend days of our stay it included 2 women making omelettes to order. I enjoyed these - though one woman made much better omelettes than the other so I tried to get on her line. There was quite a bit to the buffet as these things go - you could make waffles, there was various bagels, breads, cereals, fruit, yogurt, drinks etc. And unlike many places they did provide enough seating, opening an extra room when needed. This was very convenient. If I returned to Lenox I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 August 2013

This inn is not where you want to stay. I was given a room with a big hot tub in the middle of the room which I told them during reservation time that I did not want. The bed, mattress and all the furniture were all very old and not clean - furniture I would have tossed out. The bathroom was just big enough to turn around in and the bath tub was painted at some time but the paint was peeling off in spots. In general this room was not worth $279.00 a night which is what the rate was without taxes. The buffet breakfast was poor compared to many other hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John S
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The Yankee Inn was a fantastic experience. The room was large and very clean. The Inn is centrally located to everything.

But most important, the staff was extremely nice, friendly and courteous.

Fantastic experience, wish I could have stayed longer.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Probably due to nearby Tanglewood, I paid a fortune to stay one night in this down-at-the heels-not-as-pleasant-as the- average-- chain motel spot. The bedding was downright peculiar--bottom sheet kept rolling up and the top layer was a sort of duvet that had seen better, and cleaner, days. The only bright spot was the help from a lovely chambermaid who moved a huge piece of furniture so I could retrieve something I'd dropped behind it. Unless all else fails, this is a place to avoid.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The Yankee Inn is far more a travel hotel/motel than it is a true business hotel. I travel often, and with a nearby Hampton Inn full, I was directed to The Yankee Inn. With a Hampton, there is clear intention and convenience for the business traveler. Breakfast is on the way out the door, instructions to the wireless are clearly indicated upon check in, the receipt is in your room so you don't have to actually check at the desk to check out. With the Yankee, you have a more relaxed demeanor, which may be great for visiting or the family reunion, but does not stand up to the competitive standards of a business hotel.

For me personally, I find synthetic bed covers, fewer plugs, and lesser quality furnishings as a clearer mark of a budget facility. With a Hampton or Courtyard, linens are cotton, furnishings and fixtures are updated, and for the traveler with a phone, computer, and hot spot, there are a plethora of convenient charging options. This is not necessarily so with The Yankee.

I do not fault this facility for service, staff or cleanliness. It was up to par. As suggested, if you are in need of a hotel at the relaxed pace of a vacation, you are fine, but if your expectations are business travel, convenience, and modern amenities, stick with the chains if you can.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I guess this is typical for a room that's less than $100. Small room, Tiny prefab bathroom, no counter space, teeny corner shower, no bathtub, old fashioned TV that plays 5 channels, all staticky, no table and chairs?.........But....... Beds were comfortable and there was a nice indoor pool and attractive outdoor pool.

We selected the cheapest room , on ground floor, in the units across the lot from main building. Front desk said main house and upstairs units had flats teen TV and updated. Again, the room I selected was $20 cheaper than main house and we didn't want to walk stairs.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

It's got it all -- friendly, helpful staff; clean rooms; great location; complete (make your own) breakfast; and if you ask for it, a room with a view from your balcony. Oh, did I mention, reasonable pricing. We have come with friends for a few years now. They even store our martini glasses!

Room Tip: We like the top (of three) floor, and a room at the back with a view of the mountain.