“Home Comfort”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
NH
“Home Comfort”
Reviewed 15 November 2009

My husband and I frequently visit the Berkshires and find the Yankee Inn to be a reliably friendly and comfortable property. The staff is professional and attentive to our needs. The complimentary breakfast selection is very satisfying. The Yankee Inn is truly "home comfort". We would recommend this property to others.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
New York
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed at the Yankee Inn over Columbus Day weekend with my wife and kids and another couple with their two kids. We had stayed there last year and appreciated the centralized location. The rates are decent, the staff is helpful and friendly, the included breakfast is good and they have an indoor pool. The rooms weren't fancy but it was fine and clean. So we returned to the Yankee again this year, got the same two connecting rooms (rooms 605 and 606 in the North Building) but found the rooms showing significant wear. The headboards on the beds were so loose that the first night, we woke up everytime someone turned over in bed because of loud creaking sounds. (We had screwdrivers in the car so we tightened these ourselves in the morning). The mattress on our kids' bed was in such bad shape that one side sat several inches lower to the floor than the other side. The shower had black mold growing in the grout in the shower head was separated from the wall. The water pressure was fine but the temperature fluctuated from freezing to burning that it took everyone twice as long to shower each day because they had to keep waiting for the water to adjust itself. We had called in advance to find out if they had wireless Internet and since they said yes, we brought our laptop. However, the strength of their network was so weak that the only place we could use the computer was in the lobby of the hotel -- where they already had a computer set up for guest use -- so it was kind of a waste to schlep the computer. The other thing we need to mention is that the pool was so over-chlorinated that whenever we entered the pool room, we all erupted in fits of coughing and had to open the sliding doors (even though it was chilly) just so we could stop coughing. The chlorine was so strong that the kids complained their skin was burning after they got out. So the net-net is that the staff was very nice but until the update their facilities, we'll be looking for a new hotel for our fall foliage weekends.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Rob5555
wisconsin
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I'm glad to see that most reviews rate Yankee Inn well. Clean, large rooms with very comfortable beds, plenty of hot water, and a good breakfast provided by a courteous and efficient staff. Granted, it's not New York's Plaza, but then it doesn't cost $800 a night! We spent three nights here and were totally satisfied!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
palmerMA
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Friendly staff, VERY CLEAN room, excellent continental breakfast. Also enjoyed the heated indoor pool and hot tub.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 11 September 2009

I and my family stayed in this hotel in both July and September. The rooms were both clean and comfortable with good ensuite facilities.
They had both an indoor and outdoor swimming pool and as a base from which to travel around MA it was ideal.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Dublin
Reviewed 27 August 2009

I posted the following review of the Yankee Inn a couple of weeks ago on Tripadvisor:

-------------------------
This is an extremely average motel on a dingy strip of Route 7 in the supposedly beautiful Berkshires.

Tired musty rooms, less than friendly staff at front desk and noisy neighbours meant that we cut our 2 night stay in half and headed for the east coast a day earlier than planned.

On the positive side, the BSO at Tanglewood was fantastic and some of the local villages are cute - Stockbridge being at the top of the list.

Just don't stay in the Yankee Inn - find a good independent guesthouse, inn or B&B in a more scenic part of the Berkshires.
----------------------

It did, and does still, reflect my personal opinion of the Yankee Inn in relation to my expectations of the Berkshires and the images and description of the lodging on their website.

However, I must premise my negative comments by stating that the hotel management were extremely professional and proactive in contacting me immediately after my posting was listed on Tripadvisor.

They have informed me that there are ongoing renovations of the block of rooms where we were staying and did agree that the current decor is in need of its refreshing and refurbishment. These refurbishments should be completed over the course of the next couple of months (my understanding from the conversation).

I very much appreciated their effort to contact me and understand my issues with their establishment.

However, I have to remain true to my impression of the motel - it is located on the main Route 7 which is busy and commercial and slightly rundown - rightly or wrongly, I did not expect this of the Berkshire experience. If I had expected this to be the case, then I would not have had such a negative reaction to the overall Yankee Inn experience.

It does come a lot cheaper than some of the other Berkshire accommodation options so therein lies the rub. If you are looking for a hideaway Berkshire Inn/guesthouse etc., then be prepared to pay a little more for the experience.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
durham, nc
Reviewed 13 June 2009

I spent five nights in the Yankee Inn, Lenox, Ma. The room was spacious, quiet and comfortable, their breakfast good, the indoor pool and hot tub clean and comfortable. The Inn is located on the border between Lenox and Pittsfield on Highways #7 and 20.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Best Western Plus Berkshire Hills Inn & Suites
Vacation Village in the Berkshires
Hilton Garden Inn Lenox Pittsfield
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires

Been to Yankee Inn? Share your experiences!