“Avoid the South building like the plague”
Review of Yankee Inn

Yankee Inn
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Reviewed 12 August 2010

After reading the stellar reviews, I booked into this hotel thinking it was a great deal. I knew it wasn't fancy, but expected nice enough and cheap (so I could spend my vacation budget on fun things in the area!!). It was so bad, I left it as soon as I could.

I was booked into the South building; it's possible that the main building is OK.

At first, there were just irritations-- the lighting by the room numbers made it nearly impossible to see the room numbers for the second floor; parking was laid out terribly, so it was hard to find a place to park your car near enough to the stairs to bring in your luggage; the wifi didn't work for the south building (I was warned that was the case, but was shocked since that's a simple thing to fix); and when I took my laptop to the main building, the wifi was so ridiculously slow I couldn't even log into my main email account! (A kid confirmed that that snail's speed was normal for the hotel). That did make it difficult to search for alternate accommodations (their plan?). Also, what they call a fitness facility is three lame machines: a treadmill, one weights machine (but not even an all-in-one) and a bike. The pool's nice, but too small for laps. So if your idea of exercise is thinking about a workout, they're fine; but if you're a gym addict, you'll be seriously disappointed. But I could have lived with these given the price...

Then I went to my room to sleep. The good thing: their rooms are very clean and the fridge is big by hotel standards. The problem: the walls are paper-thin. I was kept awake until 3 am by people talking on the walkway outside and in the room on one side. Then, woken at 7 a.m. by a couple on the other side deciding if they wanted to go to breakfast or wait a bit. It sounded like they were standing right next to my bed. In both cases, the conversations were at normal volume-- no quarrels, no rowdiness, just people chatting pleasantly. You can't call front desk to complain that a man is speaking to his wife! Since they failed one of the two fundamental requirements for a hotel (a place to sleep, and clean), I found alternate accommodations first thing.

And what's even worse? They billed me the full amount for the room!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank AlizaFromOttawa
mtoole, Owner at Yankee Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2010

Thank you for your feedback. We share in your frustration with our WiFi situation. Please believe that we are doing everything within our means to fix this problem. It may seem simple, but in fact it has required many visits from repairmen and the installation of several routers in each side of our buildings, all to no avail. We are still working on this and aim to have it fixed by September.
We are very sorry and surprised to hear that you found the walls to be thin enough to hear the conversations around you. The south building was built in the 1950's and is structurally solid with layers of plaster/cinder block between each rooms walls. Because of the construction of this building this is a complaint that is very rarely heard. However, we will diligently look into the issue.
We are presently upgrading the common areas of the hotel which includes our fitness room. This room, although small, can provide the basics for guests who need to exercise during their stay. We also offer a 10% discount for admission to a local gym if further fitness accommodation is needed. As a family run business we pride ourselves in the cleanliness of our rooms and the professionalism and courtesy of our service. Again we apologize for your bad experience, and hope you will consider giving the Yankee Inn a second chance in the future.
-Larry Toole, GM. & the Toole family.

Reviewed 1 August 2010

We checked out of our overpriced and dank Berkshires B&B (no availability) and moved into the Yankee Inn for one night, expecting little besides a great price for that Lenox location. The helpful woman at the front desk gave us a room in the rear of the Inn overlooking a scenic pond, because she thought it would be more quiet and relaxing. The entire visit turned out to be just that. The accomodations were clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was great (included) and I noticed that everything in the breakfast room was refilled ten minutes before closing time (10 am), a thoughtful touch for all of the late comers straggling in. There is a special family feeling about the Inn, from the superb, original photos in the hallway, to the coffee mugs in the room and especially the warmth and interest at the front desk, when it came to selecting a restaurant for dinner. When we left, we received a warm and kind send off as well. My only suggestion would be to use less plastic and styrafoam in the breakfast room - some recyled paper products would be a classier choice. All in all, a great visit and I know we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We were very pleased with this well-run family inn, which was superior to other local motels in its category for its cleanliness, informative employees, and accessible location. The breakfast was generous, the staff courteous and anxious to help travelers with their needs. The Yankee Inn is a good place to enjoy a visit to the Berkshires in the summer! It was recommended to us by locals, but it's clear that we were not the first to hear of this very appealing accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Travel1196
Reviewed 28 July 2010

The Yankee Inn is clean, well managed and a pleasant place to stay. The room is large and includes a mini-fridge. Front desk people were helpful. Breakfast is adequate, but the room can get crowded on weekends. No complaints from me.

We ate at both Nudel (no reservations, but worth the wait) and Jonathan's Bistro. I would highly recommend both.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2010

The rooms were clean and functional. The bathroom needed a bit of work (tiles didn’t match and just general age/use hadn’t been kind to the fixtures) but in general the whole room was comfortable, large, and fine for a long weekend.

Our travel party consisted of 2 sets of couples. We both stayed in the King Canopy Fireplace rooms. One room had a much larger refrigerator than the other, but besides that they were similar rooms. Both had bay windows, gas fireplaces, 4-poaster king beds, reclining chairs, and balcony/porch access.

The remote control broke in one of our rooms and the staff was very accommodating, and tried their very best to get it fixed. We appreciated their promptness. The light blew out in the bathroom fixture of the other room and they were VERY quick to replace the bulb. The staff was kind and prompt.

The indoor and outdoor pool were clean and pleasant. The continental breakfast had make-your-own waffles and an omelet station. The fitness room is one elliptical trainer, one treadmill and one nautilus machine. It was clean and all of the machines worked.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FeltriGeorge
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We stayed for only 2 nights but we wish it were longer and hope to go back. All the previous excellent reviews are really true. Room and indoor pool were immaculate and comfortable. ( We didn't use the outdoor pool). The grounds (with a pond) behind the hotel are peaceful and beautiful. Location is convenient for theaters, concerts and hiking. We highly recommend the Yankee Inn to anyone planning to stay in the Berkshires.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here this past week and had a great time, however, brief. The rooms are lovely, staff is exceptional, especially Linda, the evening receptionist ( she knows everything), and nearby restaurants are fantastic. If you like salad bars, go to the Dakota.
Oh, yes, and the breakfasts are also generous.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Vacation Village in the Berkshires
Best Western Plus Berkshire Hills Inn & Suites
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge

Been to Yankee Inn? Share your experiences!