“Very underwhelmed ...”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Lenox
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband booked this room for our first weekend away in seven years without our son...we were looking forward to a nice weekend escape. The best part of this motel so far is the jacuzzi. The beds aren't uncomfortable. The location is good. Now for the bad parts..and there are a few. One...appliances are OLD....almost retro. For the amount of money we paid, I would have at least liked a flat screen TV and a refrigerator that works. The room had a beat-up vibe...the back of the bathroom door had a hole like it had been kicked in, and the faux wood paneling on the side of the jacuzzi was severely chipped and cracked. The worst of it was the 1) housekeeping...instead if a fitted bottom sheet they had two top sheets, and they didn't even replace the plastic cup from the night before...they just left the original one in the room. 2) NOISY...you can hear everything that goes on on either side of you and upstairs. And OMG the wifi...or lack thereof. They advertise free wifi...but it never worked. And when my husband called to report it, he was told there was nothing wrong, because the room next door to ours was using the internet and it was working fine, then proceeded to say it was our devices (iPads in perfect working condition)... refused to acknowledge there was an issue. I mean, how would the desk clerk know if the internet worked in any specific room...unless they had complained earlier as well about the wifi. All around most definitely NOT worth $500 For two nights. Disappointing to say the least...I think when we come back this way we'll stay at another hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ann B

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is one of the poorest properties I have visited. Lousy rooms, noisy, heard upstairs feet moving, no amenities in room, lousy pillows, old television, no paper and pens in room, way overpriced to take advantage of weeken traffic for tanglewood festival.

Room Tip: No way. Skip this place if possible
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This Howard Johnson had very small rooms. The housekeeping service didn't even come the next day, for whatever reason. We had to get new towels from the hotel office ourselves. To top it off, it was over $140 a night for a very low quality experience. Even the room had a distinct odor to it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed 3 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had a very good stay at the Lenox Ho Jo's. Room was large and very clean. the owners and staff were very friendly and helpful when needed. Our fridge didn't work but the staff brought us a new one immediately which worked good. The bed was excellent, firm but not too firm. The room had a small sofa and a nice big easy chair. The new carpets were nice and soft. There is a nice continental breakfast starting at 7:00am. There was some re-modeling going on (exterior painting) but didn't take away from our stay, the painters were also nice. Pool was nice and clean with chairs & tables and some lounge chairs too. Hotel is in a good location, near stores, restaurants and attractions. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a week. It was business trip. Location of the hotel was very good. Hotel was very clean. Parking area was really big and clean. It was long stay at hotel. I was alone there so was worried about what will I do in my spare time but staff of hotel was excellent. Sometimes I got bore in my room so came in lobby area with my laptop and front desk person was always nice.One day I got up late in morning still they arranged a fresh and hot breakfast for me. Housekeeper did good job everyday. Bed was really comfortable. I enjoyed my stay .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed here before three years ago for several days, and we stayed here this time for eight days: I think that tells you something. This is an area that's full of things to do that are within a day's round trip, and I doubt if there's a better place to be based than this. It's perfectly clean and with spacious rooms, a supermarket just across the road, breakfast is included, and the free wifi is consistently excellent, allowing me to update my literary/quirks of the world blog as I went along. Friendly (as opposed to perfunctory) and conversational, genuine staff and the price was right.

Our only disappointment: Ken (who was there on our first visit) isn't there any more, meaning the waffle machine isn't there any longer - also meaning my partner didn't get playfully insulted this time: she missed that!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
#11 of 16 in Lenox
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
Vacation Village in the Berkshires
Best Western Plus Berkshire Hills Inn & Suites

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Lenox? Share your experiences!