“Chaotic and annoying.”
Review of Aloft Lexington

Aloft Lexington
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed 1 October 2013

While I like the aLoft brand, this place is a zoo. Check-in was disorganized, check-out looked like a scene from the movie "Children of Men." Service at the bar, which is over-run with locals, was atrocious and unfriendly. The room, mercifully, was spotlessly clean but that's the only positive I can come up with. Sometimes, it's hip to be square...turn down the music and get a grip!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear thelivingjuj,
We apologize that the check in experience you had on your recent visit did not meet your expectation or ours. We do our best to provide an efficient check in and will continue to evaluate ways that we can improve this. We hope we can make this up to you should you give us another chance. Take care!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was my first, and probably my last, stay at an Aloft brand hotel. This hotel, and I suspect the entire brand, sacrifices function over form in a big way. Aloft tries to be different, unconventional and avant garde, but it goes overboard. If that is your vibe you will be right at home here. If you are of a more practical nature you will do better at a similarly rated, more conventional, hotel.

I arrived around 7pm on a Thursday and yes, the first thing I noticed was the loud music in the lobby area, and then in the elevator. I did not hear the music in my room on the 4th floor (and I have sensitive ears). The guy who checked me in was pleasant and even took the extra step to find my SPG account so I could get credit for my stay.

Once in my room I began to discover that this hotel was not designed by people who actually travel. Here's why.

The first thing I noticed was the complete lack of drawers or any place to store my belongings. The only option I had were two horizontal surfaces (which were indeed generous) or a long bench, but that meant all my personal and private stuff would be out on display for any potential guests, business partners, and the chamber maid to see. That was a deal breaker right there.

I then wanted to unpack my shirts and pants from my garment bag. I found the closet behind a set of two curtains. Sliding the curtains revealed a space about 12 inches deep. There were two metal rails perpendicular to the back wall with notches for each of five hangers. There was no closet rod. Also, the ironing board was hung from the back wall which took up a considerable amount of this very limited space. There was no space for me to hang my clothes that were already in hangers because it was all being taken up by the hotel's hangers. I wasn't about to rehang all my clothes so I was forced to take all of the existing hangers and place them on the bottom of the closet -- very inconvenient.

Aside from that, the duvet on one of the beds was all lumpy. I spoke to the housekeeper and she informed me that after a few washes that's how they "get."

In the mornings they set out a minimal breakfast spread, but you have to pay for what you take. I did not know this, so I took a small container of cereal and sat down to eat it. When the front desk guy saw me he asked me if I was going to charge that to my room, and when he noticed my puzzled look he told me very sternly that breakfast is NOT complimentary.

In a world where there are so many hotel choices the Aloft is aloft in pretentiousness. I could not wait to get out of there.

1  Thank Fabio-UrbEch
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Fabio-UrbEch,
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit to Lexington.  We are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations this time around. At Aloft hotels, we provide a fresh travel alternative for our guests. Our decor is new and upbeat with fun amenities like our re:mix lounge, re:fuel grab and go eatery and w xyz bar. We also offer free bottled water and WiFi in our loft style guest rooms.  Starwood is proud to offer nine distinct lifestyle brands and we hope that you continue to experience our brands on your future trips.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights visiting family nearby. Hotel is nice enough but did not care for the ultra contemporary design. No drawers in the room for clothes, no dresser etc. Also no complimentary coffee in the lobby. But the room was clean and beds were firm and comfy.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed a Saturday and Sunday night in late September. The first thing that you notice when entering the lobby if you arrive late is loud music. We could hear it in our room on the fourth floor. They have tried to create a hotel for the younger crowd by shaking up the layout of the traditional hotel. The bar is front and center as are two kiosks with computers that you are encouraged to walk over to. The bed was very comfortable. It was quite after the music stopped at midnight. This location is nice. We took a hiking trail to a visitor center close by and discovered a lot of important history associated with Lexington.

Room Tip: The higher floors will be less noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This hotel appealed to our senses from the time we walked in the door to check in until we took our final showers and exited through the front doors. The service, lighting, elevators, rooms, and everything about this hotel was super cool. We arrived around 10:00 P.M. on Friday night and hit the bar for some drinks and food. The drinks were excellent, the food was for the most part good. Our bartender (Brent?) was wonderful to chat with and had a lot of knowledge about many topics from local history to music. The rooms were comfortable, clean, and awesome to just look at. If the rest of the aloft hotels are like this one we will certainly be looking to book with them in the future. The staff and look at this hotel made for a perfect first impression.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. They offer a $5 credit towards their convenience "store" and breakfast bar if you refuse daily service, which is nice when staying for several days. It is near some lovely dirt trails in Minuteman Park. I slept well all nights with a comfortable bed, room-darkening shades, and good A/C.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side of the hotel that faces the bluff, not the parking lot.
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I think this hotel is trying to cater to a young, techno-pop crowd with driving music coursing through the hotel and a rather odd layout in the lobby. We weren't exactly sure where to check in. Then we noticed a little oval kiosk at one end. Elevators are barely illuminated by teeny red lights. The floor of the elevator has a liquid pad that displaces blue gel when you step on it. Kids will love it. The room is a bit sparse, but certainly adequate and clean. Had to call the front desk to locate the ironing board, which was tucked behind the headboard. I never would have found it. Worst problem was that the bed was so hard, our bodies ached for two days. When I mentioned it as we checked out, I was told that they'd had numerous complaints and were considering replacing the mattresses. DO NOT STAY HERE unless you like sleeping on a slab of concrete. Camping would have been more comfortable. On a more positive note, try the carrot muffins, they're yummy (albeit tiny and pricey $3). The room was really cheap - which was what attracted us. But we wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheryl B
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Sheryl B,
We are so sorry that you didn't enjoy a good night's rest during your recent stay at Aloft. We apologize that you experienced back pain from the mattress. Please know that our team is looking into this. We hope that we can make this up to you should you decide to stay with us in the future. Take care!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
Element Lexington
#3 of 3 in Concord
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Concord
Best Western at Historic Concord
Holiday Inn Express Boston / Waltham

Been to Aloft Lexington? Share your experiences!