“A upscale motel at hotel prices”
Review of Aloft Lexington

Aloft Lexington
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed 23 October 2013

If you hunger for a nice quiet dinner after a long day, forget it. This is really just an upscale motel. No restaurant but they will give you a badly copied menu of bar food, where you can sit in a bar with four LOUD televisions with local games (and many in the bar could care less). I hope to never have to stay here again.

Room Tip: The. Hotel's website says 20 minutes from Boston. It is a good 45 and if you arrive after a long...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear 60763Kathy,
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Aloft. We are so sorry that you didn't enjoy your dining experience. While we don't have a full service restaurant, Aloft features our Re:fuel grab and go eatery and w xyz bar which serves both hot and cold dishes. We hope you'll give us another chance should your travels bring you back to Lexington. Take care!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel has a lot of potential and deserve to be rated better. I like clean and spacious room, high ceilings, airy space, and many other things. But I also need to work - and I can't believe how slow was my Internet connection in the room, both wired and wireless. Just like dialup in 1993. And all this "trying to be different" comes more like "we are not really organized".

Will not come here again.

Dear Juri T,
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Aloft. As you mentioned our property features a modern design with open spaces and a fun scene. Unfortunately we were experiencing WiFi connectivity issues last week but that has been resolved. We hope you'll give us another chance to make this up to you. We sincerely hope the rest of your visit in Lexington was a good one. Take care!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have stayed at Aloft before and they are standard - excellent quality, service - but as usual, a bit out-of-the way (off the beaten track) and pricey.
Indoor Pool (Salt) and Gym (with barbells, LF cable machine, cardio) were great - one of th ereasons that I use Aloft.
1st time I ate at an Aloft Bar: edamame, hummus, veggie antipasti skewers were perfect fingerfoods as a meal. Actually had this meal two nights in a row.
I will definitely be back.

Dear PaulBRaleighNC,
We really appreciate your feedback, thanks for sharing! We're delighted that you've continued to enjoy our Recharge fitness center, Splash pool and w xyz bar menu. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Lexington. Take care!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night and found it to be surprisingly excellent. It reminded me of pricier hotels I have stayed at in London with its cool, functional, techy feel and unexpected amenities. It was kinda like JetBlue but in a hotel form...

The good:

-thought the rooms would be smaller, based on the pictures but they are a good size
-comfy beds
-Bliss products in bathroom
-quiet room

The not as good:
-while I like the central cashier/check in kiosk, it can be a long wait. Perhaps consider adding a second computer/cashier

We would stay at aloft again and would recommend trying it. The aesthetic may not be for everyone but it has a lot if neat stuff to offer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My office selected this hotel as it was near the highway and close to 3 new accounts we have. Before I left on my trip I checked it out on-line.... from rreading some of the other reviews others should do the same.... it is NOT a full function (service?) hotel.... it is for those travelers like me who like a little upbeat place, and don't care to pay high prices for all the "extras".

I checked in on a Tuesday evening around 7:30ish and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the upbeat, friendly and very nice woman at the front desk. It was nice to feel welcome and not just a customer. I asked about getting to my accounts and was told all about the shuttle.... the food and such was explained and when I asked found out about several local places to eat..

The room was not the Ritz... but then I did not expect such.... I exected and got minimalist yet functional.... pleasant. In the morning I ordered breakfast and enjoyed it with my free coffee.... I don't know about the others here but when I see prices next to food I assume that those are the prices!?! One note... I did find it somewhat akward to have to order food thru the front desk in amomgst people checking both in and out..... odd it seemed. The shuttle was on time, the driver, a nice older man quite friendly.

Check out was a breeze... handled by the same very nice woman who seemed to be a real multi-tasker that morning! All in all... a nice place with nice people. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Read about this brand before you go and expect something it is not...
Reviewed 1 October 2013

While I like the aLoft brand, this place is a zoo. Check-in was disorganized, check-out looked like a scene from the movie "Children of Men." Service at the bar, which is over-run with locals, was atrocious and unfriendly. The room, mercifully, was spotlessly clean but that's the only positive I can come up with. Sometimes, it's hip to be square...turn down the music and get a grip!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear thelivingjuj,
We apologize that the check in experience you had on your recent visit did not meet your expectation or ours. We do our best to provide an efficient check in and will continue to evaluate ways that we can improve this. We hope we can make this up to you should you give us another chance. Take care!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was my first, and probably my last, stay at an Aloft brand hotel. This hotel, and I suspect the entire brand, sacrifices function over form in a big way. Aloft tries to be different, unconventional and avant garde, but it goes overboard. If that is your vibe you will be right at home here. If you are of a more practical nature you will do better at a similarly rated, more conventional, hotel.

I arrived around 7pm on a Thursday and yes, the first thing I noticed was the loud music in the lobby area, and then in the elevator. I did not hear the music in my room on the 4th floor (and I have sensitive ears). The guy who checked me in was pleasant and even took the extra step to find my SPG account so I could get credit for my stay.

Once in my room I began to discover that this hotel was not designed by people who actually travel. Here's why.

The first thing I noticed was the complete lack of drawers or any place to store my belongings. The only option I had were two horizontal surfaces (which were indeed generous) or a long bench, but that meant all my personal and private stuff would be out on display for any potential guests, business partners, and the chamber maid to see. That was a deal breaker right there.

I then wanted to unpack my shirts and pants from my garment bag. I found the closet behind a set of two curtains. Sliding the curtains revealed a space about 12 inches deep. There were two metal rails perpendicular to the back wall with notches for each of five hangers. There was no closet rod. Also, the ironing board was hung from the back wall which took up a considerable amount of this very limited space. There was no space for me to hang my clothes that were already in hangers because it was all being taken up by the hotel's hangers. I wasn't about to rehang all my clothes so I was forced to take all of the existing hangers and place them on the bottom of the closet -- very inconvenient.

Aside from that, the duvet on one of the beds was all lumpy. I spoke to the housekeeper and she informed me that after a few washes that's how they "get."

In the mornings they set out a minimal breakfast spread, but you have to pay for what you take. I did not know this, so I took a small container of cereal and sat down to eat it. When the front desk guy saw me he asked me if I was going to charge that to my room, and when he noticed my puzzled look he told me very sternly that breakfast is NOT complimentary.

In a world where there are so many hotel choices the Aloft is aloft in pretentiousness. I could not wait to get out of there.

1  Thank Fabio-UrbEch
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Fabio-UrbEch,
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit to Lexington.  We are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations this time around. At Aloft hotels, we provide a fresh travel alternative for our guests. Our decor is new and upbeat with fun amenities like our re:mix lounge, re:fuel grab and go eatery and w xyz bar. We also offer free bottled water and WiFi in our loft style guest rooms.  Starwood is proud to offer nine distinct lifestyle brands and we hope that you continue to experience our brands on your future trips.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
Element Lexington
#3 of 3 in Concord
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Concord
Best Western at Historic Concord
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington

Been to Aloft Lexington? Share your experiences!