“Like Stepping Into the Future :o)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Lexington

Aloft Lexington
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lexington
Bennington, Vermont
“Like Stepping Into the Future :o)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Entering the lobby area (which also has the 24 hour self service food bar, and an alcohol bar after 5 or so), you feel like you are walking into the future - or onto a Star Trek set. It is bright and the staff are friendly.

I had made my reservation via the central phone line requesting an upper corner room. Though my request didn't make it to this Aloft, the helpful attendant at the desk was very apologetic and she did get us an upper floor right away with no wait. No corner rooms were left.

The rooms are comfortable though the beds are pretty firm -and we like firm mattresses. The couch in our room was very straight and not so comfortable. My husband went to the lobby to read in the morning.

The elevators are cool. Music playing and the walls are hung with quilted "curtains." "Beam me up Scotty."

I thought we might be a little older than most of the guests from the way the hotel is advertised, but this was not the case. There were children swimming in the pool with their dad and grandparents in the lobby with their children and grand children.

Over all, a nice place to stay and location is good. We were in Boston for a Red Sox game and so wanted to be near Alewife station (about a 10 minute drive). We visited Lexington/Concord and the Sleep Hollow Cemetery - Emerson, Hawthorne & Thorough all buried there.

Except for the issue with the bathroom light shining brightly into the bedroom in the tips below, we very much liked this hotel. I just woke my husband up in the night and he woke me up WAY earlier than I had hoped on our quick get-away.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with someone on a different schedule than you, this might not work so well. On...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lori P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel has been our standard stop from pa to Maine for two years. Sadly, this summer it's a bit of a let down. Although the staff seems to be hustling, within the first 20 min of our check in:
1. One of our three rooms had hair all over the shower.
2. Ordered two Cesar salads for bar to go, and got two garden salads with balsamic
3. Rooms were SO hot and cold that we had to keep adjusting temps for our 5mo, 3 and 5 year old
4. Called front desk when heater smelled like smoke
5. After calling and requesting adjoining rooms, had to explain why I and my three children under 5 could not sleep in separated rooms...
In their defense, they fixed 5 immediately.

Apparently phones have been broken all day so maybe that's why they are so off their game

• Stayed June 2014
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

GOOD I liked this hotel, which I got through Priceline. It had a king size bed, microwave, flat screen, small fridge, shower, easy to set alarm clock that looked like an old fashioned clock & a $5 offer if you agreed to not have housekeeping services. This $5 could be used in their (pricey) food store. I used my $10 for a bottled water, bottled juice, & a muffin. There's a salt water pool, fitness room, pool table, & bar. The look is modern & minimalist. My parents stay in Lex but don't have A/C & I find it unbearable to stay in 80 degrees long term!
CHALLENGES
They accept pets & I happened to think it gross when somebody was chatting with the front desk with their dog in tow, which is right next to the food.....
When the party spilled out beyond the entrance, it was disruptive & I could hear the guests as my room was right above the entrance ( 217). There is a microwave in the lobby which is where I guess everyone should use for the refrigerated food?

Room Tip: Request a room that isn't near the front desk because if guests spill out past the front door fr...
Green Features: Offering $5 off for declining housecleaning services I suppose is somewhat eco friendly?
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a conveniently located hotel (for me) but it is a little pricey even at the best of times. The staff are friendly and the hotel is generic. The fridge in the room is great but where is the microwave? The gym and the pool are great but that's about it for this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Onereallyniceguy
Plainfield, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Convenient off of 95, near Lexington and Concord. Outside looks like a brick college dorm. Inside is modern. Persistent techno music playing in the lobby and elevator. Friendly front desk people. The room is spacious and quiet and clean. Nice shower. Small indoor salt water pool. Nice work out room. My one complaint is that the hallways and rooms smell like stinky feet, big time. Kinda made me queasy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Very disappointed . We were visiting for a wedding, reservations were handled by 1person to lessen the likely hood of a mixup. One of the rooms for elderly parents needed to be a handicap room since they both use canes.upon arrival, all the handicap rooms had been given away,so the parents we're put in the neighboring hotel,and the rest of the party. We're split up between floors even though rooms close to one another had been requested.

The fan on the air conditioning unit could not be controlled,so if you wanted the room cool enough to tolerate, the blower was on high,blowing cold air directly at the bed,very uncomfortable.
The housekeeping was bad. The vanity area was sticky on arrival and I had to wipe it down with a wet towel.
The room was not vacuumed the entire stay. Nor was the elevator lobby area on the floor.

The weekend nights,bring ear plugs when entering the lobby because the music in the open lobby bar was so loud that it caused ringing in my ears after walking through.

When speaking to the manager, no apology or real concern.

This hotel needs some serious help

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Lexington, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear luckystay,
We are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay, and apologize for the inconveniences you and your family experienced. We do our best to fulfill guest room requests, and we are sorry that we were unable to satisfy these for your family during this special time. Additionally, it is very important to us to provide all our guests the best experience and customer service, and I sincerely apologize our staff was not empathic towards your concerns during your stay. Receiving this type of information is very helpful for us to correct these kinds of issues, and we appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback with us. All the best.
Stonington, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I've stayed quite a lot over the years and was back last week. This was one of the very first alofts (and I believe the element across the parking lot was the very first of its brand anywhere). Mostly it's fared well, but the bedding is starting to get old and needs to be replaced.

However, the food choices in the bar and restaurant have improved and there is now more choice for vegetarians. Front desk and bar staff are friendly and efficient (even if I did get charged for another person's breakfast as well as my own). Other than that, it's the very standard Aloft - almost identical to every one of their brand (except for when you get a mirror version which is confusing). I like them and they are one of my main choices when available, but the style and feel may not suit everyone.

Setting is OK - you need a car. There is actually a really cool 2km or so running loop that takes you across a wooded area right from the hotel - recommended if you are there and its not too cool or too hot. Run it three or four times rather than the treadmill.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Raoul M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
Element Lexington
Concord's Colonial Inn
#2 of 3 in Concord
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham
The Westin Waltham-Boston

Been to Aloft Lexington? Share your experiences!