“Shabby and unpleasant”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
This Old House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Lexington B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Shabby and unpleasant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2008

Wish I'd checked here before booking but I was desperate because it was a college graduation weekend and all the hotels in Boston were hundreds of dollars. The price was definitely right (or even a little high) for the value.

The place hasn't been cleaned in who knows when. It does indeed have something laying on every public surface. There was a coffee filter container from a Mr. Coffee on one of the side tables in the living room. I didn't know the owner had dogs or I wouldn't have stayed.

Breakfast was cereal and fruit which sat out in the dining room the whole time I was there (fruit in frig, help yourself). No decaf.

My room had a lot of mismatched broken down furniture and the mattress was probably 30 years old. The top of the dresser had melted candy or something on the top and I set my things in it. Wall paper is peeling. Linens look like they came from Goodwill.

Outside of home is lovely, garden is lovely, neighborhood is lovely. It's close to a lot of conveniences and relatively quiet.

• Liked — Glad it wasn't too expensive
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank roguetraveling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2007

My husband and I just returned from traveling on a road trip through New
England. We have stayed at a lot of Bed and Breakfast's, including this trip,
and I am sorry to say what a disappointment this place was. I found it on
bedandbreakfast.com, and being it was on a TV show, I thought it would be a
REALLY nice place to stay. I am NOT a picky person by any means, but this place
was a MESS, and even worse, the owner is not very friendly. She is a southern
woman, and as a southerner myself, I was expecting the typical warm hospitality
that southerners usually offer. We were met at the door by her, and she snapped
at us for not "being on time". (I had apparently told her when we made the
reservation that we would arrive around 2:00 and we arrived around 5:00- but we
were on vacation!) We went into the house which IS nice, (there are 2 VERY sweet
little dogs) and it has a LOT of potential- it is the housekeeping that bothered
me. The entire downstairs was messy and full of clutter, es
pecially the kitchen. (And we were going to eat BREAKFAST there?!?) Our room was decent enough, but the
bathroom was another story. The jacuzzi didnt work, and that was one of the MAIN
REASONS I had booked a room at this place! There were USED cakes of soaps in the
tub and shower, and a drawer full of used soaps attached to the sink- SO
unsanitary! We slept well, but the next morning when I went into the kitchen at
breakfast, the owner snapped at me AGAIN, saying, "WHAT do you WANT?" I was
ready to cry! I can overlook a LOT of things, but bad service is not one of
them. Lexington and Boston are BEAUTIFUL areas to travel through, and when we
return to the area, we will try harder to find a more hospitable place to stay.
This place just made me sad.

4 Thank TheGypsyHeart

Travellers are raving about these Lexington hotels

Richmond
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2007

A friend and I stayed at this "B&B" for one night only, thank goodness. The "twin" bed in the queen suite was really a cot. The house was messy and didn't feel clean. The towels in our room were thread bare. There were no new bars of soap, but plenty of half used bars on the vanity and in a drawer. It honestly felt like we were staying in someone's room who had left for the weekend. The kitchen was messy and we were a little apprehensive of the cooking, but decided to give it a try. There was a hair in our fruit bowl, which was just another example of why this place is a terrible place to stay. Avoid this place.

Stayed April 2007
5 Thank TravelLoversRichmond
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2007

My boyfriend and I booked Mary Vans Old House for 3 nights August 2007. What a nightmare that turned out to be. The house on the outside is nice, lovely neighborhood.
Stepping through the front door (kitchen) however is a whole other thing. There were cloths, pots & pans, books lying on every available surface. An electric shaver was lying on the kitchen floor among the clutter. House smelled like fired bacon. I don’t eat red meat.
Our room was very dark, cobwebs hanging off the ceiling. The towels in the washroom did not match. The tap on the sink was broken, the was a half used bar of soap and a half used bottle of talc body powder. The toilet was not clean, there was urine stains on the seat and running down the side of the toilet.
The shower was dark, light was not working, shower door was covered with water stains and there was a used bar of soap and bottle of shampoo on the only shelf in the shower.
We went out to get water at about 9 pm, about 10mins after we checked in, when we got down the stairs, the male inn keeper was lying on the couch, did not get up, did not know where we could go to get water. When we returned to the house about 30mins later all the lights were turned off. We stumbled our way to the door and to the room. In in the room there was 2 doors that the covered with cloths, inside was full of clutter and a pulled down stairs to the attic. The pillow was stained, way too much to tell you about. We checked out in the morning.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nad17
Lexington MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2006

The owner of this house (advertised as a bed and breakfast) has a temper and yelled at me when I stopped by her house to take a look on behalf of my family who may have wanted to stay in it for 4 nights. The owner was angry and defensive about the construction taking place on the premises, saying two weeks ago that the construction would be completed in a week – that date is now a week past. I also should note that the owner owns at least two barking dogs, which is not noted on the website --important information for those allergic and those seeking a quiet environment. Also note that the house doesn't have a sign to identify it as an actual B&B (one has to wonder if it is actually a business, given the demeanor of its owner) and the house numbers are hard to read, making the house hard to find if you're there for the very first time. To be clear, I did not sleep at this establishment.

Stayed October 2006
8 Thank eatlocalfood
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2006

My husband and I just spent a wonderful, relaxing long weekend at This Old House B&B, which was made only more enjoyable with Mary Van's warm hospitality. I suppose if you are looking for a sterile and impersonal environment, this would not be the best B&B for you. But when we travel, we like to get to know the locals a bit, and Mary Van made us feel very much at home.

The house is beautifully decorated, with many antiques and artistic touches, and the bed was extremely comfortable. I especially enjoyed relaxing in the upstairs reading nook. Oh, and the breakfast was HUGE! We had waffles, bacon, eggs any way we wanted, and quite possibly the best homemade blueberry muffins I have ever had (be sure to request them!) In fact, the second morning we had to ask Mary Van not to cook so much because we couldn't eat it all! The property is also just a few steps away from the Minuteman Trail--a great place to enjoy a morning run or bike ride.

Mary Van is also extremely knowledgable about the local area, and gave us some good tips on what to see and do. And she's an expert storyteller with some fascinating tales to tell. In fact, this visit reminded me very much of a homestay that I did in Austria during my college years--beautiful surroundings, wonderful food, and generous hosts. We will definitely be back!

Veronica and Fred Malinic
Chicago, Illinois

• Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redbird429
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2006

I stayed at This Old House for 5 days with my family. It certainly was a great experience. My children fell in love with their two Cocker Spaniels. The breakfast was outstanding and more than we had expected. Mary Van served breakfast to us and the other couple at a time convenient to our schedule.
I read the two negative reviews and decided to take a chance since children were most welcomed. We did not see ragged sheets and towels but beautiful monogramed towels and 200 count cotton sheets. It certainly was not This Old Musty House. It is a beautiful house with many antiques. If we ever visit that area again, we will definitely stay there. I could not understand what the other people expected as most B&B's are private homes coming from the European tradition. That is what makes it a homey place to stay.

Chris Walbach
Marin County, CA

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
The Inn at Hastings Park
The Westin Waltham-Boston
Boston Marriott Burlington
Boston Marriott Burlington
#4 of 6 in Burlington

Been to This Old House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!