“A Tired Hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Lexington
Dayton, Ohio
“A Tired Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We originally booked the hotel because the price was reasonable for the Boston area and the reviews online seemed overall positive. Unfortunately for our family, we did not have a good experience.

First, however, I’ll start with the good things. The price, as I mentioned was good for the area. The breakfasts were free and extremely well diversified. There was almost every breakfast food you could imagine. Our kids enjoyed the “cook when you want them” waffles every day. Also, the staff did work to try to address our troubles, and we did get a sizable price adjustment for the subpar experience.

Here is what happened: On the first night of our stay we discovered our room had a very stale, almost B.O. smell that did not go away. So we were given a second room. The second room had an incredibly loud and old air conditioner that we knew would be bad news for trying to sleep in. So we were given a third room. The third room smelled much like the first room. By this time it was very late, and we just decided to chance it and go back to the second room. Bad idea. The AC was very loud and vibrated all night long. I had to keep my foot on the AC unit all night to limit the vibrations (the rooms are very small, so my bed was literally right next to the AC).

The next day I told the front desk that we couldn’t stay in that room any more. But the only thing they had available were pet rooms (I am allergic to dogs, so this was not desirable but was the only option). The front desk clerk told me that the room he was giving us was their newest remodeled room and was only recently put back to be rented out. He hoped the pet issue would be minimized since it was so newly remodeled. To our surprise, the room seemed to have newer carpet and furniture, but the walls and door were significantly scratched up, the furniture was actually damaged, and the mattresses were old. (We check beds for bedbugs.) In fact, when pulling the sheets off of the mattresses to check for bedbugs, we found a large wall screw sitting on the mattress. One of the mattresses appeared to have lots of black dots in the seams, and so we were concerned of the possibility of bed bugs in the old mattress. So, back to the front desk to get our fifth and final room for our stay. This, too, was supposed to be a newly remodeled room. The mattresses were newer but there was a cigarette burn hole in one of the bedspreads, one of the comforters had a disgusting yellow stain on it, the tub was rusted around the drain, and there were many dings and scrapes throughout the room. The air conditioner was also very weak at cold output, but we were sick of switching rooms by this time.

I asked the next day for the AC to be fixed. They said ok, but it wasn’t fixed that day. I asked the next day again and happened to discuss this with the manager as well. The AC was replaced our final night with a used unit. At least it was cool.

I had discussed our experience with the manager, and she expressed deep concern and said she would look into this and call me that day with an adjustment. She never did call even after I called back in the afternoon to follow up with her. We were to check out that next morning early, so on our final night I requested the front desk contact the manager at home and figure this out. Thankfully they did, and I did get a significant discount. But in the end, I wonder, was this all worth it?

Please see the photos I took of these things I mentioned plus of all of the dilapidated conditions throughout the complex. Paint was peeling in the outside hallways everywhere, paint was missing from stair rails, the outside hallway concrete floors were a patch work of concrete touchups and missing pieces of concrete, the doors to enter the stairwells didn’t lock any more, the vending machines were tilted well off center, the carpets in the stairwells were always dirty, etc., etc.

The hotel needs to spend a lot of money in remediating the significant number of deferred maintenance items. I do not recommend this hotel, and I think people should be aware of what they will run into if they rent from this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff B
Vik K, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Lexington, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Apologies for your recent experience. I tried to write to you previously as well to request you to call Vik at 7818610850. Please call me at your earliest convenience to discuss this further.

Regards,

Vik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Do not use this hotel. We asked for non smoking but the room smelled like smoke. Got switched to another room but tue shower did not drain and there was fungus growing on the caulking. Air conditioning sounded like a train. I'm not picky but hotel is probably bone of the worst. Staff was unwilling to asist with thw shower problem and said wait until morning. Also there is nothing much around the area.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank user0011
Vik K, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Lexington, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I apologize for your recent experience at our hotel. However, I am also surprised by your observations as we have professionally gotten our bathrooms cleaned from an outside company and changed the furniture.
Please call Vik at 7818610850 to discuss the room condition and the location.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Vik

Travellers are raving about these Lexington hotels

BRATTLEBORO, VT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

First the bad: No elevators in this two-story property. Keep that in mind if you have trouble with stairs. Bedford St is really dangerous! You have to dodge speeding traffic getting in and out of this property. If you are unfamiliar with Boston drivers, they don't care about you!

Now the good: The place was sold out during my stay, so it was a good gauge on how the property managed everyone and it was pretty good. The hot water did not run out. The breakfast was really good! It looked like they renovated that area because it felt like the function matched the design. Very spacious eating area, two TVs, many tables, and an adequate area for the food. The spread was nice: three types of eggs, sausage, two types of potatoes, bread, bagels, pastries, fruits, juices, coffee and tea. It was one of the better breakfasts in all of the Choice-branded hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vik K, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Lexington, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and a wonderful review. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the accommodations and breakfast.

We look forward to your stay again in near future.

Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We had stayed here a couple years ago and it was a pretty good experience...not so this time! It started when it took a shoulder to the door to get it to open. When we opened the door to our non-smoking room--it smelled like a pack-a-day smokers room. We called and a staffer came and sprayed but that didn't really help. The room really needed updating. It had a really old tv! The curtains were ripped. On the positive side, the carpeting was new and the bed was firm. We will want to confirm some real improvement before we stay here again!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dancisak
Vik K, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Lexington, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Our sincere apologies for your recent experience. Please call Vik at 7818610850 to discuss the exact location of your room.

The TVs in the hotel have been changed to wall mounted LCD tvs now.

We look forward to your future visit.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

There are obviously some places with issues and some aren't. I am glad this turned out to be latter. Let me start by saying that the staff is excellent with great customer service skills. Plenty of parking and very easy access to the rooms. Although the outdoors need a face-lifting, the indoors are nothing less than a Marriott courtyard. Everyone from Front desk to Housekeeping is super friendly and breakfast is by far the best I have had at any of the choice properties. I will willingly recommend this hotel to everyone I know. Thanks to the staff and management for providing superior service to us business travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Siya K
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for a wonderful review of our property. We thank you for staying with us and request you to contact us for future reservations.

Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I'm a Choice Hotels Member and have a decent frame of reference and experience to make this evaluation.

Your first hint that things will be a little less than ideal here is when you get off I-95/128 and want to turn left into the hotel property. Two NO LEFT TURN signs and an unreadable (from the turning point) placard placed below them by the hotel instructing the guest to make a U Turn somewhere up the road. Similarly when you wish to exit the hotel, again a No Left Turn sign so going up to Bedford is not easy.

So the traffic volume and speed on Bedford Street is a problem and it inhibits getting in and out of this place safely or conveniently.

Now, we are on-site. This hotel shares their parking lot with the adjacent Mexican Restaurant and the Bar within is very popular. That means by 5:00 PM each night there is little to no parking for any hotel guest arriving later. After the Restaurant and Bar closes the parking situation improves greatly. The solution is obvious, cordon off spaces for the guest rooms on the hotel side of the lot. One space for each room. A simple solution, the hotel has enough time to post unreadable signs about a U Turn at their entry so how hard could it be to make some signs about parking and then enforce it?

It would pay to Google Earth this location before staying, so you understand that they have a main drive down the center of the property and there are no parking spaces for the rooms facing the center drive. That means you park behind the hotel and haul your bags if you get one of those rooms. (Remember the shortage of parking? This is where it really becomes a pain)

I have tried to convey my feelings twice to the hotel personnel and I got the disinterested, unconcerned attitude that I wish all of my competitors employees would display.

OK. Let's talk about the rooms.

I have not seen any bugs and that's the first thing I do upon arrival since other reviewers of this location made that claim.

So far my rooms have been clean and the Indian Housekeepers have been extremely polite, pleasant, attentive to detail and efficient.

There is clearly a problem with their TV setup. First their website says they have HBO (they do not) There is a placard sign in the room saying Channel 95 is Showtime (Not on the week of 5/19 thru 5/23). Old CRT TVs are all I have seen so far, with fuzzy reception on all channels. The rest of the world has largely gone to flat screens since they use less power and function far better. Why they persist with these obsolete, energy burning, poorly functioning TVs is a mystery to me.

The HVAC is supplied by through wall units, and they aren't very old but they clearly are not being maintained as well as they could be. The filters are easily removed from the top and are easy to wash clean and replace. Unfortunately they do not seem to realize this as each room I have stayed in so far has had very dirty filters. (This is not a Housekeepers job)This reduces air quality in the room and those with allergies or sensitivity will understand my observation.

There is some variation in fixtures and lighting from room to room. Sometimes you will find a desktop lamp with two plugins for your laptop and charger. Other times you will find something less and you will have to adapt. They are clearly trying but the lack of standardization impedes their ability to maintain the facility to an optimum standard.

The refrigerators tend to be set at the coldest setting and that results in freezing food. On my most recent visit the adjusting knob was missing. Thankfully I had my leatherman and used the needle nose pliers to make a satisfactory adjustment. Again, a refrigerator running constantly because it is set too cold burns needless power, and I see a trend developing in this review. Management is burning energy dollars that could be conserved and then used to improve this location.

So far the beds have been OK and those who commented about 5 square pillows are correct. Clearly that's a little bit different but I made it work.

In general beyond the issues mentioned above; the rooms I have stayed in are acceptable. This is not a Hyatt or a Westin and it would be unfair to compare them at that level. But, on balance with other Quality Inns, the rooms are no better or no worse. In my mind the housekeepers make the positive difference at this location.

They provide Wi-Fi which works intermittently. I suspect that when the place is full (normal situation) that their capacity is stretched to the limit. Can it be improved? I don't know it's not my area of expertise.

They provide a Free Breakfast and it is on par with, or maybe a little bit better than, other locations. It opens at 6:00 AM and because of the large numbers of Contractors and Construction Workers that stay here, the morning rush between 6:00 and 7:30 AM is pretty intense. After 7:30 AM it thins out and their staff manages to catch up.

There is a large parking lot at the rear of this location that is ideal for tour buses and tractor trailers, and each week that I have been there, those vehicles appear in quantity. That means if you have a room facing the main drive you will hear them coming and going regularly. The experienced traveler says; room location at this facility is very important. Get the wrong room and you will have more noise and increased parking problems. Get a good room not facing the main drive and it will be a far better experience.

The most important point to conclude this review is for everyone to keep in mind that this is a very expensive area and almost every room is usually booked here as well at all nearby competitors. Therefore, if your eye is on your budget as mine is, this location will be less expensive than almost anything else in the area. Keep in mind that the place has some issues and I hope that the Jamson Hotel group will give this place the extra effort it need to help in improving the overall operation.

I know they read these reviews and I hope they will take action so my next review will give them glowing accolades. "Honor to whom honor is due."

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MBVPHASE6
Vik K, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Lexington, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent experience at our hotel. I have gone through your observations in detail and am looking into all the points mentioned by you.

Kindly call Vik at 7818610850 for further details rregarding your stay.

United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had to move quickly from poor accommodation that we had booked months before for our wedding party of 18. The staff at the Quality Inn at Lexington could not have been more helpful in accommodating our family at the last minute. I would like to thank Lynda and her team for turning round what could have been a disastrous week into a great experience - even to the extent of ordering more tea for us Brits.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

It was an equal pleasure to serve you during your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us.

Lynda joins me in thanking you for your stay and assures you that we will have plenty of tea for your next visit.

Please let us know when you are in the area next so that we can make your reservations with us.

Vik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
Aloft Lexington
#1 of 4 in Lexington
BEST WESTERN at Historic Concord
Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Lexington? Share your experiences!