“Great museum - beautiful grounds and interesting exhibits”

DeCordova Sculpture Park & Museum
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Lincoln
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest of its kind in New England, this sculpture park encompasses 35 acres, 20 miles northwest of Boston. The park features a constantly changing landscape of large-scale, outdoor, modern and contemporary sculpture and site-specific installations, and hosts more than 60 works, the majority of which are on loan. Year round activities include snowshoe tours, yoga in the park, birding tours, curator and artist conversations, and many special talks, screenings, and events.
Cleveland, Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great museum - beautiful grounds and interesting exhibits”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The day we went was a little humid and the grounds were damp from previous rains, but the sculpture garden was still fun and filled with lots of interesting sculptures. The museum building (interior exhibits) itself was an added treat, and we enjoyed our refreshments at the cafe. It's filled with lots of visual and thought-provoking images - good for all ages. We would definitely recommend the DeCordova. There were lots of interesting items in the gift shop - it would be a great place to get a unique gift for someone.

Visited July 2013

• Hebrew first
MA
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Nice was to spend time outside”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

A great place to spend a day outside! Walking the grounds was enjoyable and there was lots of neat (and odd!) sculptures to check out, though the musical fence was my personal favorite. Even if you don't "get" some of the art, its still a pretty cool place to kill a day. Many places to sit and hang out too, so don't feel compelled to rush around. Enjoy the beautiful New England day while you can!

I did not end up checking out the inside museum but the outside alone made the trip worth it for me. The gift shop was fun to poke around too, though much of it was expensive.! That's typical of most art for ya though. ;) The photos I took at deCordova were enough for me, so bring a camera for some photo ops.

I felt that it WAS a little pricey to get into the park, but they do offer a few bucks off with various memberships, so make sure to check that out. Also, according to their webpage, its free on the first Wednesday of every month.

Visited August 2012
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Outdoor Sculpture Park”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

The Decordova is a gem. Located near Walden Pond, Drumlin Farm and the Gropius house. The installations in the outdoor park are always interesting, some timed interactive and just fun. It is great to take children too. There are walks you can take and they have classes and schools if you live near by. I cannot wait for my little one to be big enough for their summer programs. They have many free days.

Visited May 2013
Takoma Park, Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Whimsical & Serious by turns”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is my third visit to the deCordova, and each time I find something new to delight me. Both the sculptures outside and the art inside are engaging. Every time I visit I come back with a couple hundred photos, each more lovely than the last. There's a pleasant patio with tables & chairs beside the main building where you can sit & look out over the small nearby lake; on the roof another place to sit & contemplate, or just see the view. The gift shop has the most wonderful things - hats off to their buyer, who has a really edgy sensibility!

Visited May 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“I just don't get it...”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

You pay $14 each to get in, and there are a series of sculptures and "art installations" (be advised that "art installation" has no good definition!) along with some "paintings outside the stretcher" which look to me like pompous, self-indulgent, and ill-conceived junk which any child could do better. Or even me!

I had a great deal of fun making up my own titles for many works, along with fanciful explanations of what they "represented". I mean, is seeing a tipped-over ATV really "art" in any valid sense of the word? Or a 1936 Chrysler spray painted silver? Big Deal!

Candidly, I think 99% of so-called modern "art" is unworthy of the same name that is used for masterworks by Rembrandt, Picasso, DaVinci, and other true Masters of the art world. And this place does nothing to change that perception.

Even if you are in the area, there is no good reason to come here.

The Best Thing Here: The gift shop, where many of the items for sale show a great deal more artistic integrity - and basic good taste - than the garbage on display in the museum.

Visited April 2013