“My rating is on the low side because this is not what I expected; and I do recognize that others really liked this museu”

DeCordova Sculpture Park & Museum
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Lincoln
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest of its kind in New England, this sculpture park encompasses 35 acres, 20 miles northwest of Boston. The park features a constantly changing landscape of large-scale, outdoor, modern and contemporary sculpture and site-specific installations, and hosts more than 60 works, the majority of which are on loan. Year round activities include snowshoe tours, yoga in the park, birding tours, curator and artist conversations, and many special talks, screenings, and events.
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I was disappointed as I was expecting a museum filled with oil paintings with fancy frames, some well known artist names, etc. - but I didn't find that. In a museum, when I see a piece of art I believe is interesting, I will look at it and recognize the talent of the artist and wonder how they did that. If one cannot figure out how something was created or it is just amazingly beautiful, one can leave the museum feeling satisfied. In the case of the items viewed both in and out of the museum, these thoughts had little bearing. I could easily see how the 'art' was created; for a few examples, one artist had string/wire hanging from the ceiling to a point just off the floor and this was in a vertical line and consisted of a number of these strings; another piece adjacent to the strings was an old quilt with holes cut out of it; outside, one finds an exhibit of stacked newspapers. There is no wonder how these were created - similar to exhibits where artists hang an empty frame on the wall, or have a blank white stretched canvas, or one that is entirely painted one color. There is no wonder here as to how these were created - just amazement that someone has done this and it hangs in a museum. Granted, there were some interesting pieces in the museum as well as on the grounds. I preferred the outside grounds and it is pleasant walking there. For those seeking regular art (oil, watercolor, acryllic, etc) with impressionism, realism, cubist and all the other forms, this might not be the museum for you. For those interested in contemporary or items described above, this museum would be worthy to check out; again, the grounds are nice to walk around.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

My boyfriend and I visited the DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum this past weekend after stumbling across its listing on Trip Advisor's "Best Kept Secrets" page. We decided to pair a trip to DeCordova with a lunch in Concord, MA (as Lincoln and Concord are just a ten minute drive apart). After lunch we arrived at a little after 2:30pm and had plenty of time to explore for a few hours before the park closed at 5pm. It was a chilly day so we spent less time than we otherwise would have walking around outside. If it had been a bit warmer I would have loved to wander around the premises a bit more or sit for a while on the outdoor terrace. There is a beautiful view of a nearby lake so I would love to return in the summer and just sit for a while and take in the view. As far as the art itself goes - it was fun to check out. It's definitely a bit "out there" but fun to just wander through and look at. Overall a good excursion from Boston and an easy way to get out of the city for an afternoon.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

This fabulous find is a hidden gem in the Boston area offering great art in a spectacular setting. My husband and I enjoyed a visit here last Friday and spent a most enjoyable day wandering the grounds, exploring the sculpture outside and exploring the museum with its fine exhibits. I would definitely recommend this sculpture park/museum if you are in the area. The programs for children seem to be a great way to get the whole family involved. The catered food available at the cafe' is reasonably priced and delicious.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

The DeCordova is one of the best places to visit/take visitors if you have nice weather and a car. The grounds are fabulous, and the art sneaks up on you as you walk around. Indoors is great, too, but plays second fiddle for me. The view from the upper terrace over the reservoir is spectacular.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The grounds and sculpture park here are terrific--creative, fun works amidst beautifully landscaped, rolling grounds. A true upper crust New England place minutes from Walden Pond and historicmConcord and Lexington. The museums collection is contemporary, interesting but sometimes difficult tomunderstand. Tip: take a guided tour when available. Then the current exhibition becomes understandable. The signs don't generally do the trick. Great views from the rooftop terrace. Relaxing cafe.

1  Thank Janet-M-1030