“Very Good Italian in Malden - Make sure you have time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 135 Restaurants in Malden
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Very Good Italian in Malden - Make sure you have time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

My daughter and I were looking for a good Italian restaurant and she had heard some good things about Serena Ristorante at work, so we gave it a try. The restaurant presents itself well with white linen table clothes accented with black folded napkins and a bottle of wine on every table. We started with a glass of wine; and they brought out the bread. Served cut and standing in an elevated serving cup; they provided butter - I had to ask for olive oil. My request was answered with a plate of oil that was pre-seasoned with spices and cheese. My only issue is the bread was not warmed. For appetizer, we ordered the Pyramid - fresh tomato, mozzarella, prosciutto & basil stacked and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar - this was very good. For entrees, they have a wide variety of choices ranging from pastas, chicken, veal, and seafood dishes. This night they had a Lobster and Shrimp special - served with marinara or fra diavolo sauce and several choices of pasta. I went with the Lobster and Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Fusilli - it was prepared well and tasted great. Overall, the meal was very enjoyable - the service was a little slow at times - if you are not in a rush and want to enjoy a fine meal this is not an issue. Enjoy.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank OSProfiler

Malden, Massachusetts
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Small family restaurant with excellent food and service. Homemade desserts! No bar or outside seating. Have specials everyday.

• Visited May 2014
boston, Ma
“Excellent service, Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The food is simply awesome. Wonderful specials. Loved the swordfish!! Limited desserts..wished for more options.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank travlgal52
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Elite "hole in the wall" establishment.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I found this place on tripadvisor, im a truck driver and travel with my girlfriend on the truck, we decided to try this place out while staying overnight in the neighborhood. glad we did! I thought it was going to be really expensive but we got out of there under 45 bucks even after a nice tip. we both had pasta dishes which were amazing from the sauce to the cheese ontop.

the place is very upscale, our waiter seemed surprised when we turned down his offer of sparkling water for two coca colas. but he took care of us throughout the meal from refills to making sure the food was perfect.

would come here again, better dressed next time!

• Visited October 2013
Tamarac, Florida
“Maybe I was in the wrong place!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Went there at 6 PM on July 20. Place was not crowded. Had a 6 PM reservation which netted me a chair facing our friends and a wall.

Server came over with a scowl on his face and asked if we wanted drinks. The reply "water for 4" seemed to bother him and he disappeared. Later he returned and asked if we would like to hear the specials of the day. We nodded. He started to rattle them off and my wife stopped him and asked the price. He paused and gave her the price. It should be the rule if you want to recite specials that you also mention the price.

He then took our orders and my wife, who can not eat wheat asked to have risotto instead of pasta. He replied that will be an added charge. I asked "why"? It is usually done without a problem in most Italian restaurants we go to. Seeing this place was charging downtown Boston prices in Maplewood square, his comment bothered me. I asked what the extra charge was and he replied $4.95. That was ridiculous so I asked to speak to the manager. Who came over and with no apology said that is the price. My wife said forget it and ordered something else.

The other lady ordered a Caesars salad that I believe was $6.95. When I asked how it was, she said with no emotion, it all right. I was surprised at how small the salad really was.

I ordered the chicken saltinboca. Now you had a choice of a small salad or pasta. The thought of eating a main course of only one item did not appeal to me so I ordered the pasta. We waited till 10 minutes to 7 for the food to come out. During that time we could play with the bread they left on the table or drink from the ever filled water glass.

To say my meal was completely bland tasting was an understatement. We paid the overpriced bill and said farewell to this place...Never to return.

By the way we went there only because of the good reviews we read.

Yes, we are not 20 somethings so maybe that is the reason for the good reviews