“A relaxing, fun time with a beautiful view"”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marblehead
A Lady Winette Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 19 Marblehead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We were the the next guests after the couple on July 12th that didn't enjoy themselves or the Inn. We thought the deck and the view were glorious and spent the afternoon enjoying the view and chatting with our cousins. The whole place is (as said) pink, cluttered and the ultimate in shabby chick . The gardens are lovingly tended by the Inn keeper and are a day lilly lovers dream. Contrary to the last review, we had a tasty breakfast of fresh fruit, delicious blueberry muffins and fresh coffee. Suzi called to tell us our room was ready early and that we could check in whenever we wanted (we checked-in early). Yes, she asked us to not talk outside past 10 PM, but you can talk in your room. Yes, the mirror is low on the sink. There is a window shade in the bathroom that is hard to find, but if you do it covers the window. Yes, the shower curtain is a little difficult to manipulate. Yes, she asked us to bring the pillows in from the deck. Suzi also had surgery on her wrist and has pins protruding from it, so we didn't mind at all! If you are a very serious person, that is kind of rigid I wouldn't recommend Lady Winette, but if you don't take things too seriously and want to meet an interesting, fun lady with a cozy Inn where you can laugh and relax this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank clevy82

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I'm afraid that my wife and I will have to take a contrary point of view compared to many of the other reviews. We read many of the other reviews and thought this would be a wonderful place to spend the last leg of our northeast tour. We could not have been more wrong.Never have we been more stressed out when staying on a trip. My wife and I pretty much exclusively stay in B&B's and this one fails to measure up in every category.

Problems:
The Bathroom. Small, cramped, no screen on the window. The tub is a clawfoot and has a pink shower curtain that hit both my shoulders while standing, and I have a 30" waist. The used bars of soap on the tub rack and sink was disgusting. If you want to shave your face you need to pick up the mirror to do it, as it's just propped up behind the faucet. Decor is exceedingly questionable. If you like every wall covered in pink fabric up to and including the ceiling then you're in great shape.

The View. Deck is indeed ok, but the view isn't that great. Lots of obstructions such as telephone lines and other buildings. Was firmly told I could not talk on the deck after 10pm. This wasn't a problem due to the mosquitos. Also, the innkeeper removed all the cushions and stuck them in the corner in our room and made it clear that they were not to be left outside at all costs.

The Staircase. Very narrow and tall, it is a challenge for anyone who is not fit and thin. I made it just fine, but if you're approaching 200 lbs you might have trouble just getting to your room while carrying your luggage.

The Power. Not sure if an isolated occurrence, but the power went out 4 times during our stay. I could write a whole book about this occurrence and what transpired but it's not fully appropriate here.

The Rules: While friendly, she was quite inflexible and made it abundantly clear that this was her house and her rules. We were not allowed to leave the cushions out on the deck at night, we could not check in even 1 hour early, breakfast had to be at 8:30 am, no talking at night, etc.

The Food: Breakfast was store bought fruit (pineapple had brown spots), store bought muffins that weren't super fresh, and Twinings english breakfast tea. Nothing special, and a real downer compared to the absolutely lavish breakfasts that we enjoyed while in New York and Maine. I also managed to break her fork while spearing a piece of fruit- they're more appropriate for a 5 year old's princess party than a classy B&B.

The House: If you love lots of clutter, the color pink (just about everything in the house is this color), and want the feeling of staying in your eccentric aunt's house with her wanting to talk to you all the time, then this is the place for you.

For those who claim that this is the best B&B they have ever been in, we will respectfully disagree and hope that they get out more. There are so many better B&B experiences to enjoy that make you feel relaxed and special. The $150 asking price is completely out of line with the amenities. We have stayed at B&B's in other cities with comparable prices and it's no contest.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jonesy329
Management response:Responded 14 July 2011

I am so sorry this couple did not enjoy my B&B. They were a lovely couple and so kind to me. With nuts and bolts holding a broken wrist together I was ever so appreciative for all their help. The power outage was indeed a surprise for me also and power was resumed quickly. I am so sorry they did not enjoy their stay in my cottage by the sea.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

When it comes to A Lady Winette Cottage, I have never had a better time at a B & B. Suzi is fantastic; she is one of the most fun loving ladies I have ever met. She is very interesting and has so many stories to tell. You could actually stay at her B & B and never want to leave, she was so interesting. She was meant to have a B & B, and makes you very welcome. It seemed to me she was actually in it much more than for the money, she really likes people.

Our room was great, we had the room with the view of the harbor, it was nice to sit on the patio Saturday afternoon looking out at the harbor and reading a book. The breeze on the patio was so refreshing. The B & B felt like my own house, it was real and lived in, and very comfortable. Breakfast was tailored to our tastes, just like it would be at home. I can’t wait to go back, oh yeah, her favorite color is pink, and my wife loved everything. I know next time I will have to leave my manhood at home, pink is not my favorite color, but Suzi makes up for all the pink everywhere.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank hdclassic47
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Ever dream what it would be like to sleep in a doll house by the sea? My wife and I stayed three days at Lady Winette Cottage and this is exactly how it felt, like living in a pink doll house with Suzi, our cottage hostess and owner, entertaining us each morning over breakfast with her fun stories and laughter. If large, spacious rooms with private baths and room service is what you’re looking for, this pixy bungalow is not for you. But if quaint, historical and charming fits your bill, with internet service and TV, then you should check out A Lady Winette Cottage.

Room Tip: Call ahread, ask for the room facing the harbor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank avram3
Reviewed 8 May 2011

The cottage was warm and comfortable and in a really nice location!Suzy was a hands on charming hostess that gave us restaurant recommendations which were very good and told us stories of her life over breakfast!
People in Marblehead are very nice!
Restaurants- Eat at the Barnacle for water front seafood and the Driftwood for great pancakes!

Room Tip: One room has a deck and harbor view!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Swingdancers123
Reviewed 4 May 2011

This lovely cottage is set on the remarkably scenic gooseneck of Marblehead. Nestled in among very impressive homes, this B&B has two lovely rooms which share a large bathroom. One room has French doors to a private deck overlooking the harbor. We enjoyed visiting on the deck, soaking in the sunshine, and sleeping with the ocean breeze. There were beautiful, scenic spots within walking distance. Suzy, our hostess, was a delight. She was very responsive to our every wish, and charming to chat with. We were sorry we did not have more time there to relax and enjoy the area.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mangelsdorf
Reviewed 7 October 2010

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I spent a delightful weekend in a marvelous little cottage with an extraordonary hostess. It's called A lady Winette Cottage. This little gem is located on Marblehead Neck, and is one of the most beautiful areas we have ever spent time visiting. The cottage has a view of the harbor and you can sit on our hostesses' comfy porch watching the sailboats in the harbor and just otherwise enjoying nature. There is nothing commercial on "the Neck" to spoil the beauty.
Our hostess insists that you just call her Suzy. Immediately she makes you feel welcome and as though you are a treasured family member. Suzy goes out of her way to make your visit comfortable and memorable. She is ready to help you locate special restaurants and sites that you are most interested in seeing. If she doesn't know the answer to your inquiry, she won't hesitate to get on the telephone and search out an answer for you.
Leaving Suzy and her Lady Winette Cottage was difficult. We parted with hugs and a promise to return next year.
Janice and Greg