“Tucked away upstairs”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Initially I was not sure. The place had a good reputation but on arriving at the front door I was a bit disconcerted by some hefty youths drinking from bottles (in the UK: a big flashing sign). However the staff behind the bar saw me and explained I needed "upstairs". I definitely needed a drink having staggered up those exterior stairs and street lighting in State St is nothing to write home about.

Eureka! Inside upstairs we find a super cosy lounge bar with attentive staff A great array of drink and a colossal menu. Portions match the menu, huge!. Incredible value. We were blessed with good neighbours on the next table and we were loath to leave.

We were definitely off season and I would like to see this joint buzzing in season, I guess it would be fun. I shall certainly be back in 2014 to find out.

1  Thank OwdRoger

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We went to the downstairs pub and had a great time! Joe, the bartender was our affable host and server and treated us (very nicely) like he had known us for years. The drinks are awesome and true to other reviews, you get your money's worth on the liquor. My son and his cousin got the lobster roll which they said was incredibly good. My daughter the pan-seared haddock which she loved, my wife the mac and cheese and I had the linguine with clams and shrimp, which was one of the BEST seafood dishes that I have had in a long time. Joe told me that they source their seafood from a top local seafood company so I assume that (along with the skill of the chef) is why everything was so fresh and good. The locals were friendly; one even came over to say hi and explain the carved, wooden map hanging behind us. All in all, it was a great introduction to Marblehead and we intend to return the next time we are there!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

OMG the first place I ever had way too much to drink! The time my daughter had too much to drink and I gave her a pass and I was strict but.......she was of age but in my home! Watch out for the drinks they have a lot of alcohol in them. I drink wine down there now or water but it is a younger crowd now or was I young then. Anyway us old folks can still go you may want to go upstairs.Food is good and a good price for a big meal. A great place for a bear and burger. Oh what memories!

1  Thank seasongs5
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Just stopped at Mattie's for a drink. we had already eaten, but looked at a menu, and watched some delicious food come from the kitchen. Prices are great and, as usual, the drinks are outstanding. we hadn't been drown stairs Mattie's for years, but would give it an a+. Intend to go there again soon and this time we will eat!

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Walked up the stairs on a cold cold night into Maddie's and had a lovely time. The fire was going & people were having drinks while sitting on sofas. We sat in the back, good lighting & friendly service. No one was disappointed with anything we had. Chowder, wedge salads, haddock, scallops, & terrific plump fried belly clams for the table, all done as expected. The menu goes from a good lobster roll, burgers, & salads to complete dinner entrees. It's a simple menu with no pretension to being other than what it is & I'll happily return. The clams are really good..