“Great town; great Inn; great location”
Review of Harbor Light Inn

Harbor Light Inn
Ranked #1 of 19 Marblehead B&B and Inns
Danville, California
“Great town; great Inn; great location”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Well, I could come back here every year and be happy. It is a great walking town, the kind of place that makes you want to put your own house on the market and move directly here. The setting is pure New England with good restaurants and fun shops. The inn is welcoming and comfortable. I especially loved the tavern where you could sit and drink or get a light bite. There are many cozy spots to sit and enjoy. I can't think of any negatives!

1 Thank marjorie v
HarborLightInn, Manager at Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write the complimentary review. We are pleased that you chose to stay with us on your trip out east to this great town. The Inn does have many common areas and I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our intimate Wine and Beer Tavern. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Step back in time in this beautifully decorated and maintained inn located in the historic district of Marblehead. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Service is excellent, and staff is very eager to please.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace. I'm not sure they all have them.
1 Thank dnh3155
Thank you for the complimentary review. We so enjoyed your visit at the Harbor Light Inn and hope to see you again in the future.
CT
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Loved the old room #5. Think there was definetly paranormal activity going on! Only thing I didn't like was the fact that I had to be treated like a child to get a duralog for the fireplace. Was given the 3rd degree... Then after 1st log, would need to pay for more?! Walking around the town was great. Narrow road you could get lost in. Nice stores, beautiful harbor! Restaurants were good, not great. Salem witch town close by and very festive! Quaint tavern.

Room Tip: Room #4 is right next to side door that travelers unload their luggage into. #5 was on 1st floor of...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HarborLightInn, Manager at Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our Inn. It was never our intent to make you feel uncomfortable about our fire logs. Being as the house was built in the 1700's we are extremely cautious about telling guests how to use our fireplaces. Many people do not have fireplaces at home so we do need to familiarize guests with the process. You were misinformed about paying for additional logs. We do offer them free of charge. I apologize that this information was incorrect on your stay.
Branford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Nancy and I enjoyed our stay here in Marblehead. To have such a lovely home base after our explorations recharged us for the next day's adventures. The Inn is located close to shops, restaurants and many historical structures. The morning breakfasts of quiches, sweet breads, fresh fruit and other delicious tempters got us out of bed early. Our room was spacious and the bed was sleep inspiring. I must not forget the staff for their attention to detail and warm welcome, especially Cassandra whose enthusiasm and bright smile was the icing on the cake......without the calories. I plan our fall trips and it will be hard to improve on this :)

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and this might be a trek for those who have trouble walking.
1 Thank GeraldWynne
HarborLightInn, Owner at Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
We are so glad that you took the time to let us know about your stay with us. It's always nice to get feedback and especially when we hear we are hitting the mark. We have to agree that Cassandra, our manager, is most hospitable and really aims to take care of all of the guests needs.
Marblehead is really a very special place steeped in history and charm. We are so grateful that we found a property in the midst of town and all the restaurants/shops.
We hope you can visit us again in the future and thank you again for your comments,
Regards,
Suzanne Conway
Owner
Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I know there are many "5" reviews but I just thought it was "ok". Clean, friendly and efficient staff, plenty of space to hang out whether the very small and cozy bar or comfortable living room with papers and magazines.These are all 5's!

Nice location to walk to the water or to the center of the old district. Perfect locale

My hang up is for what I thought was pricey for a Bed & Breakfast and I always focus in on the breakfast, the breakfast was just "ok". The eggs based center piece had to many items in it both days were in there to enjoy for our tastes, the fruit selection looked from a grocery store as opposed to a farmers market and the breads off the same grocery store shelves, when down the road this little deli had some great local baked breads with great flavor. I guess I wanted to be wow'ed and I was just, well , hungry. One night I smelled the wonderful aroma of a pumpkin bread but when served the next day it could not have been more bland. was it a box recipe. Same with a carrot cake which was out for hours with the cream cheese frosting - just no real flavor.

I kept eyeing the daily special but after three days of the same special stew I became suspect.

Friends recommended the place and we were not disappointed- just not feeling a 4+ or a 5.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HarborLightInn, Owner at Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
We were dismayed to read that your experience with breakfast did not meet your expectations. Our staff works diligently to provide an array of hot dishes daily, along with varied fresh bread, muffins or coffeecakes. All of these items, other than the sliced whole grain bread, are baked in our kitchen. Also, the cake you spoke of was Emeril's Buttermilk spice Cake, which I made myself. Perhaps your disappointment stemmed from the fact that it was a spice cake rather than the carrot cake you thought it may be. This cake is a guest favorite and we did have it out for our afternoon dessert.
We are always happy to make eggs to order and do so regularly. I'm sorry we did not know that would have better suited you. Should you want to come stay again in the future, please contact us ahead of time so that we may personalize the breakfast choices for you. Our goal is to accommodate our guest needs and any special requests. Thank you for your input.
Suzanne Conway/proprietor
Platte City, Missouri
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Spent three lovely nights at the Harbor Light Inn from 16-18 Oct. The staff were wonderful and the ambiance was even better...comfortable rooms, wonderful morning breakfast, nice tavern for a class of wine to cap off the evening...highly recommended!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank James B
HarborLightInn, Manager at Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for the complimentary review and recommending us to fellow travelers. We so enjoyed your visit at the Harbor Light Inn and hope to see you again in the future.
Englewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This hotel was recommended to me by a business associate and it didn't disappoint. I happened to stay in two different rooms over the weekend both of which were very nice, as were the breakfasts, and the general ambiance of the Inn. On Sunday, as I was heading south on Route 95 I received a call from the owner, Peter Conway, asking if I had left a black bag in the room. I had, whereupon he volunteered to drive out to meet me on the highway rather than having me drive all the way back to Marblehead to retrieve my laptop. This is the first time I have ever had an innkeeper go to such lengths on my behalf, especially since I'm sure Peter had better things to do on a Sunday morning. Thus I consider this gesture "above and beyond the call."

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Caithness84
I love it when we can exceed our guests expectations! Peter was happy to accommodate you.
Thank you for sharing your experience with all who read trip advisor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#2 of 19 in Marblehead
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Harbor Light Inn? Share your experiences!