“You get what you pay for and for $100 a night this isn't bad”
Review of La Plaza del Sol

La Plaza del Sol
La Plaza del Sol
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Mashpee
Boston
“You get what you pay for and for $100 a night this isn't bad”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Try and find a place on the cape in the summer for $100 a night. A group of my friends and I stayed at the Plaza in August while our friend was getting married at the Popponesset Inn down the street. Coming into it we were aware of the negative reviews so we did what any normal person would do, we prepared ourselves. We brought our own shampoo, soap, etc and just in case I brought my own bed sheets. To my surprise the Plaza wasn't bad at all. It could use some updating, new paint, carpets, etc however the obvious would happen, increased rates.

I think the person in charge, Peter White is a very decent and respectable man. He runs an honest business and tries to help out the less fortunate people in the community as best as he can. Everyone that worked at the Plaza was respectful, polite and accommodating which is more than I can say for some of the pricier hotels in the area. Also, they didn't mind when we got a little loud after the wedding.

The pool was awesome! Super clean, not overly chlorinated. We spend much of our free time there in between rehearsal dinners and the wedding. I've been to Africa, all over Asia, Europe, Mexico and the US and the Plaza was about what you should expect for $100 in a very popular, touristy area during peak season.

If you are looking for a No Frills Zone place to stay and like me you'd rather not spend double or triple to rest your head elsewhere, la Plaza del Sol is the place for you.

Thanks Peter for your hospitality. You will absolutely see all of us again!

Room Tip: Rooms 1, 11 and 12 were perfect.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Blizzack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 August 2012

the negative reviews here are exaggerated. we found la plaza del sol to be great, considering it was half the price of the next cheapest hotel or motel in the area. unlike some other reviewers that i find unreasonable, we were not expecting luxury for $100/night at peak season. nor should we have expected it. adequate and clean rooms, great pool and the owner peter was an outstanding host. my wife and i would stay again in a second and our 6 friends that joined us would do the same.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Al A
North Brookfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 June 2012

What a dump. When we arrived to check in, the office was closed and there was a note saying to call a # or go to apartment 3. When I knocked on the door, a woman dressed in pajamas and a robe and hair that appeared not to have been washed in several weeks answered. After telling me she needed to get her slippers, she came to check us in (it was 4 pm). I should have left then. The owner was away and she apparently was "in charge". She had no idea how to use the credit card machine, and so I never got a reciept. After unlocking our door and taking in the smell, oh the smell, and seeing the shabby, outdated, beat up room, I went back to check out. She wouldn't accept my card for a refund, since she didn't know how. She asked me why I was leaving. I told her the room was nasty. For starters, it smells. Her reply was "It smells like fish". As if that's normal. I would never let my kids, or myself for that matter, sleep on those beds. Spend a few extra dollars and get a clean, odor free room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Heather S

Travellers are raving about these Mashpee hotels

CA
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Pros- Best I can say is the room is relatively clean and the owner is nice.
Cons- they gave away our room even though I confirmed several times
- gross nasty beat up furnishings from some early 1970s dumpster
-zero amenities, no shampoo, no coffee, no clock
- room smelled, sheets appeared to come from a thrift shop or dime store sale
-non matched sheets, curtains hanging from the rods, stained walls and carpet, no plugs for hairdryer or phone etc
- staff- (excep owner) dumber than dirt. Don't even try to call.
dump dump dump dump.
If I knew we'd have found somewhere else. It is relatively inexpensive for the area but not cheap enough to justify staying somewhere so nasty.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank nothankyouCa
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Arrived 21 Aug 2010. Dump of all dumps.People grilling,drinking and little children with no adults running around. Hair in the sheets,stains on the carpets,walls covered with who knows what. What a discrace. This place should be shut down. Calling the health Dept. Monday on this dump...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank billindorchester
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 31 August 2009

It really wasn’t as bad as they are saying. The place was clean and quiet and a great value. I wasn’t in the area to just sit in my motel room though. This was just the place to rest my head and shower for the day. It was a relaxing place to unwind from the busy day’s activities. Personally, my favorite part about this place is that it is “green”. They have a recycling program and promote green practices in their business. I really appreciate that. Needless to say, the full kitchen helped save a few bucks by having some meals in the room. I enjoyed the fresh air and low key atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank mfalcon701
Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We have traveled to many cities, many countries, stayed in many hotels. This was the worst experience, by far, for us.
We, thankfully only had to stay one night.
It was dirty, moldy (mold in the shower), stunk very bad - very musty smelling.
Turning on the A/C only made it worse.
The sheets were old, smelly and very hard - the bed was horrible and creaked every time it was touched. The mattress was old and lumpy -
The bedspread was horrible.
We could not wait to leave and will NEVER recommend. They need to invest in their business or close - it should be condemned.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sunnyde
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashpee
Green Harbor Waterfront Lodging
#1 of 1 in Mashpee
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
#6 of 20 in Falmouth

Been to La Plaza del Sol? Share your experiences!