“Nice owner, the room,not so much”
Review of La Plaza del Sol

La Plaza del Sol
La Plaza del Sol
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Mashpee
Providence, RI
“Nice owner, the room,not so much”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed here over Christmas to visit with family nearby. It was only to sleep and shower, but the room , which was supposed to be non smoking reeked of cigarette smoke. Still washing all the clothes... Also, the neighbors, who I think live there year round (in an apartment attaced to the hotel building) were noisy and my kids could not get to sleep. We should have said something right away, but just thought we would deal with it. The owner asked how it was as we checked out and we told him. It needs updating badly, broken tiles in bathroom and cigarette burn on one of the sheets. But I would not have cared if my room did not stink. I know you get what you pay for, but some things should just be universal.. like a clean room or no noise late at night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank babmama312

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 23 July 2013

thanks for taking care of us Peter...ihope you enjoying the shrimp and grilled garlic scampi.. the rooms and bathrooms are clean and my wife loved the pool we looking forward toalong stay...thanks SIR PETER...RLB

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ROYANDhaijuan
Ridgefield, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We saw the reviews and noted that the bad reviews were old, so we decided to give this place a try. We were looking for a place to sleep after a long day of moving a house. We stayed in the room 5 minutes! The smell was awful! Pine cleaner and God knows what else. Mold and dirt everywhere. All the bad reviews you see are correct. They need to shut this place down!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank CrispyG

Travellers are raving about these Mashpee hotels

Mashpee, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I am well travelled and have stayed at large and small motels and inns across America. In this case one gets more than you pay for - if what you desire is attention and care. The owner Peter White (nick-named Peter Green for his stress on running a green establishment and recycling) is very accomodating and cares about the welfare of his guests. His asst manager Grey is both helpful and dedicated to making La plaza del Sol the best kept secret on the Cape. Good luck - because, of what you just read - this special place righy named The place of the Sun, is usually booked. I was very fortunate!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank L_1954
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed at Plaza del Sol with a group of friends for a nearby wedding. I read the negative reviews, but wanted to be close my friend's wedding (in Mashpee) and didn't want to spend $500+/night (Pompenesset Inn). As I expected, it seems the people who left negative reviews wanted luxury but didn't want to pay for it. If you've ever traveled, you know that $100/night in peak season in a coveted location like Cape Cod isn't going to be the Taj Mahal. I guess some people want it both ways: they don't want to pay, yet they feel entitled to be treated like VIPs. It's sort of like those who complain that they want the government to keep their hands out Medicare, or those who slept through high school history class and thus are able to stick a "Don't Tread on Me" sticker on their car and call Obama a socialist. But I digress.

The pool at Plaza del Sol is awesome: clean and well-maintained. The rooms are spacious, and although I brought my own pillow and soap (again, this is a budget hotel in a coveted area), I was comfortable the entire weekend. The owner does a lot of outreach with the community, engages in lots of "green" initiatives in running this no-frills operation, and seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Paul_D_MA
Boston
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Try and find a place on the cape in the summer for $100 a night. A group of my friends and I stayed at the Plaza in August while our friend was getting married at the Popponesset Inn down the street. Coming into it we were aware of the negative reviews so we did what any normal person would do, we prepared ourselves. We brought our own shampoo, soap, etc and just in case I brought my own bed sheets. To my surprise the Plaza wasn't bad at all. It could use some updating, new paint, carpets, etc however the obvious would happen, increased rates.

I think the person in charge, Peter White is a very decent and respectable man. He runs an honest business and tries to help out the less fortunate people in the community as best as he can. Everyone that worked at the Plaza was respectful, polite and accommodating which is more than I can say for some of the pricier hotels in the area. Also, they didn't mind when we got a little loud after the wedding.

The pool was awesome! Super clean, not overly chlorinated. We spend much of our free time there in between rehearsal dinners and the wedding. I've been to Africa, all over Asia, Europe, Mexico and the US and the Plaza was about what you should expect for $100 in a very popular, touristy area during peak season.

If you are looking for a No Frills Zone place to stay and like me you'd rather not spend double or triple to rest your head elsewhere, la Plaza del Sol is the place for you.

Thanks Peter for your hospitality. You will absolutely see all of us again!

Room Tip: Rooms 1, 11 and 12 were perfect.