“Some Good Things, Some Not-So-Good Things from This Local Spot”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mattapoisett Chowder House & Tavern
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Some Good Things, Some Not-So-Good Things from This Local Spot”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

On a late Saturday afternoon having spent much of the day looking on the Cape for venues for an upcoming event, we decided to grab something a little light - I had a hankering for something a little lighter, maybe some broiled scrod. We hadn't been to the Chowder House for quite awhile so we decided to stop in. It was about 6 pm when we pulled into the lot. It wasn't too crowded at that point and we sat in the bar area at a small table - we couldn't fit at the bar itself because the Sox were playing game 2 of their series with the Rays and there must have been a few regulars there for the game.

The physical plant hasn't really changed from the last time we'd been there...no complaints here though. A server was prompt. She was new, but she was attentive. She was working with another server and they actually made a good team. We ordered a glass of pinot grigio and a light beer. Again, service was quick and helpful.

We looked at both the bar menu and the entree menu. My wife was very interested in the oysters. Here's a VERY interesting oddity I noticed. If you order a single oyster in the bar they are priced at $1.35 each. But then if you order 1/2 dozen, they are listed at $9.99. Huh???? So unless this was a huge misprint, if you ordered 6 oysters as "singles" it should come out to $8.10, yet a half dozen is $9.99. So, I suggested my wife order 5 at a time. Sure enough when I saw the bill, there were five entries of $1.35 each - accurate. What further intrigued me was that a cool dozen was $16.00. (Now 12 individuals at $1.35 would be $16.20, so you'd save 20 cents). Perhaps this $9.99 thing was just a big misprint, but it was curious.

In addition to the oysters, she ordered a cup of French Onion Soup and I ordered the broiled scrod, breaded with roasted potatoes and a side of squash. The French Onion soup came out reasonably quickly. It was really tasty. The crouton had a nice flavorful crust, the broth was rich and there was plenty of tasty cheese on top. I'd definitely have another there.

Now as we sat there, there was a small band setting up. Two acoustic guitar players who happened to be a husband and wife team. So we watched and we were excited to stumble on some live entertainment. This kept us occupied because it did take a little while for our meals (the oysters and the fish) to come out. Not enough to complain about, but it did take longer than I thought.

So the oysters - I'm not a fan but my wife is. She said they were good but the shucking wasn't the greatest as there was a little piece of shell in just about each one (she ordered a 2d set of 5). My scrod was a let down, which is a surprise given that they have a fish market associated with the restaurant. It was over done which isn't a great strategy with scrod. The breading was good enough, a little to buttery which overpowered the fish. But, the problem was that the fish was tough from being overdone. I wasn't inclined to send it back because the servers at the bar were very good and I didn't want to make a fuss, but I'd figure that a "Chowder House" would have some pretty high standards for its fish coming out of the kitchen.

The potatoes were good. Nothing to write home about. I needed to add a little salt to boost the flavor. The squash was okay I am told (not a mashed squash fan here so my wife had it).

The highlight of the night was staying for the live entertainment. They were a huge addition to this evening out. Had it not been for them, we would've left right after dinner without a very good impression. But, the servers were good and we stayed for another beer and wine to enjoy the show.

Overall, I'd say the two servers in the bar were great. They were attentive. The cost of the wine and beer was VERY reasonable too. Soup was delicious. Fish, not so great. The only reason we might go back? The entertainers.

Maybe this was just a "fluke" (well, a little pun intended here) night and the fish was just a mistake. However, reading some of the other reviewers, I'm not so sure.

• Visited October 2013

Mass
“What happened??????????????????”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have gone to the Mattapoisett Chowder House for years. I especially loved when they were at the old location down the road across the street near the marsh. It was small but summery and cozy. Having streamers in the outdoor screen house with the breeze blowing through on a nice summer night was the best.
Then they moved... to the old Nest Restaurant...ok...I still went for the old English fish and chips (love the big poofy crunchy batter). The atmosphere had changed but the fish was good. The past few years I have found myself going less as something was missing, each time leaving saying ugh was just ok. I realized what it is....It is the food.... it changed...I asked for the English fish and chips and what I received was a child's plate sized fish which the batter was undercooked.....and no poof.....the waitress did ask if I wanted the English batter which I said yes....and the French fries...how can you ruin French fires there was no taste...what it tasted like was fresh cut fries which were frozen incorrectly...as when you bit into them they were dehydrated and no taste. I also got a cup of chowder and it was creamy but lacking taste. My party also ordered a pizza the crust was good but had no taste....when my three year old grandson say mimi I don't like these fries........really! I am sorry but Mattapoisett Chowder House I wont be coming back after all these years.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mary L
“A mainstay of the South Coast”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

In an area that is famous for it's seafood this cozy restaurant always holds it's own. The menu is varied and the service is always attentive . To survive in the sea food business in this area you have got to pay attention to details and the Chowder House always does. They have a small function room which is ideal for those special family occasions and the staff is always ready to please.

Visited September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Gone way downhill.”
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We've been going to mattapoisett chowder house for probably 15 years. Since they moved locations they have been steady going downhill. After our visit tonight we will not be returning. We waited for almost an hour to get our meals. Then they came out cold. Two of the meals were sent back. And my fried calms came out a second time hot but uncooked! At least they took two of the meals off the bill.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank CMiche47
Boston
“Continues to go downhill”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I am sad to report that one of my previous ‘goto restaurants’ continues to decline and I can no longer recommend it.

I have been to the Mattapoisett Chowder House dozens of times over the years, I never had an issue at their old location. However, I have noticed a gradual decline in quality since their move but my last three experiences have been definitely sub-par. I gave it three try’s just to see if I had hit it at a bad day, unfortunately not.

My latest experience involved a large take-out order. Admittedly, it was a big order but it was pre-dinner rush and when I picked it up the restaurant was almost empty. I ordered and asked the waitress to read it back – so far so good. Ask for a pick up time and was given 40 minutes – I thought this was long and asked to confirm (twice) – yes, 40 minutes. I thanked her and arrived in 35 minutes. They brought my food out and I tipped generously. Got home (3 minute drive) and found the food to be stone cold – the fried items were basically not edible, the rest not much better. I had guests in town on a tight time-table (hence the early dinner) so a redo was out of the question. I paid a lot, and embarrassingly had to send my guests on their way hungry. The one high point was the smoked fish chowder which, after I microwaved it, was okay to eat.

I am really sorry to see a long-term Mattapoisett restaurant drop to this level. Skip the chowder house and go to Turks Seafood down the road.

• Visited August 2013