“Beware of I-93 noise”

Hyatt Place Boston/Medford
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Medford
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Stayed there for one night. The hotel setting is modern, stylish and comfortable, and the building sits feet from the southbound lanes of I-93. After asking to be placed in a room facing away from the highway, I was placed in one which faced directly out to the highway (rm 609). Didn't sleep a wink all night due to constant loud truck traffic. Was disappointed both with the design of the hotel (insufficiently insulated windows/walls to dampen noise) and the indifference of the staff to put me in a room facing the highway when i had specifically requested a room on the other side. Unfortunately, i wanted to like the place, but will NOT be going back.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you're at all a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank snakemtn

Reviewed 10 May 2012

It is a good location for Boston college tour. They have two beds and sofa bed so it fits our 2 adults and three kids. Nice decoration and front desk service. When I did my survey and just said the decaf coffer was not hot because it had been out for long time. The manager did reply me back that was surprised me.

By the way, if you want to use their shuttle to go to Tufts, the waiting time is 15~20min. Then you don't have to worry about the parking.

2  Thank dxp0105a
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We go to the Boston area regularly and find that hotel rates are very high with very few options under $300, especially when you factor in parking costs. So this place is a great budget option when you are spending a week or more. The pros: affordable, free parking, gym and pool, free great breakfast, free shuttle to public transportation. Cons: front desk staff in need of training. Although they are very nice, they are clearly untrained in customer service, etiquette and knowledge of the area. Dirty floors- although the hotel is relatively clean, all the floors were very, very dirty. The carpets in the hallway and the rooms were visibly dirty. I would actually phone them to see if the carpets had been cleaned before staying there again. Other than that, it's an excellent value option!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank BuckeyeChef
Reviewed 6 May 2012

everything worked out great, room were great, 2adults 3 kids(2-15 yrs & 1-13) , had plenty of room. staff was very friendly , especially kim, she was very informative.
pool was clean & did the job, breakfast was fine, egg & ham english muffin hit the spot, no complaints there.
location of hotel was great , medford square itself is a great little town, plenty of places to eat & shop, clean & safe neighborhood. the shuttle bus from hotel to davis square was a big PLUS... didnt have to really wait long at all for it to come. all in all, i thought it was one of the better hotels i've stayed at in a while.
great job, hyatt place medford !!
ahh, almost forgot, the beds & pillows were extremely comfortable !!!!!

Room Tip: just ask about the extra charges on your bill, there are few charges that DO get removed after the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ed b
gm_medford, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Medford, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Thank you for writing about your time with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed one of the new hot breakfast sandwiches that were added to the complimentary breakfast last week. We hope to see you again so you may try some of the other new sandwiches. I am sharing your note with the drivers also.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Stayed here during a visit at Tufts in April and was able to book the Tufts rate, so we had a reasonable rate. Had I paid the regular published rates of $200+/night, I'd have been unhappy.

This visit started off on the wrong foot long before i even arrived because the hotel erroneously and unaccountably charged a large sum to the card I gave them for my reservation. After several hours on the phone the hotel cleared up the mess and promised to comp me a night for my troubles. However, the hotel failed to note that on my account, so when I checked out, I was charged in full. A very capable and friendly front-desk staffer was able to fix it, however. We found the front desk to be very friendly and helpful..

The room: I agree with other posters that the rooms are spacious and the breakfast is delicious, but housekeeping was just so-so; Our trash cans were not emptied and toiletries were not replaced. It's great to have a mini-fridge in the room, but the bed was uncomfortable.

Services: We were advised by email that the pool would be unavailable but turns out that was mistaken. As we left our bating suits at home, that was disappointing. We'd also hoped to use the shuttle but it does not run on a schedule and it is first-come, first served, so that was not practical fo us. There's no charge for internet and parking, which is nice.

Location: There's nothing nearby of note. Short drive to Tufts and Davis Square, which is where you have to go to find a restaurant.

We'll be traveling to Medford for the next four years and we'll be trying some other hotels in Arlington and Lexington and maybe Cambridge before we return here. Would have given this another chance for Parents Weekend but evidently they book up a year in advace. I think the proximity to Tufts allows them to charge far more than the actual value of what you get.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are in the back.
1  Thank N2NY
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Excellent location for everything you want to do whether sightseeing, college visits, business or just hanging out.

Room Tip: If visiting Boston University, great location.
1  Thank travelsister07
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Apparently you love this place except....but really there is sooo much to love about it. I LOVE the layout- Kingsized bed, room divider then full huge couch area with ottoman. Across the way is a large flat screen TV with about a million (read:I have no idea about AV things but there are a lot of places to plug things into the TV like your computer and iPod , speakers and stuff) inputs to use. Behind this is an office/ wetbar area with counter/refrigerator and another sink/ coffee machine. The bathroom sink and long counter is outside the bathroom/shower/tub area- yeah!

But... OK this is a small thing but it really makes you crazy when you have not come prepared: the hairdryer that they provide , while claiming 1875 Watts, is probably 200 Watts.

Next time I will come prepared- because there will be a next time. We don't care that the pool was being serviced, or that the gym only has a few places to work out as mention by someone else.

We don't really care about the breakfast so we didn't check it out.

We loved the room. Hot water was great. Good strength. and we felt like this is finally a place that has what we are looking for. So when we come to visit our son -5 minutes away- this is the place for us!

Room Tip: Get the king sized bed room. There's more room for the living area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mtnchkbek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medford
AC Hotel Boston North
AC Hotel Boston Cambridge
#5 of 19 in Cambridge
5 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott Boston Logan Airport

Been to Hyatt Place Boston/Medford? Share your experiences!