“Great meal”
Review of The Beach Plum Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Menemsha
The Beach Plum Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Menemsha B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Chris Fischer has gotten a good start this season. We had heard a lot about the new Beach Plum Inn dining experience, but hadn't had a chance to try it until last night. Everything was well prepared. The kale salad was tender and dressed with a light coating of creme fraiche and anchovy. I had the red fish with bok choy and mashed chick peas; the flavors went very well together. My husband had the rooster stew which had roasted onions and small diced turnips, potatoes, and mushrooms in it and was presented with fresh, tender pea tendrils on top; very flavorful. The rhubarb galette for dessert was wonderful. The menu takes a minimalist approach and does not categorize the offerings into traditional appetizers and entrees, nor does it label offerings as "small plate" and "large plate." The only real guidance is the price. The waitress said that "everything is designed for sharing," but it is not clear how that would have worked with the items that turned out to be entrees. If you can navigate the menu, you will be rewarded by the food.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EJCVt

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was so disappointed with this restaurant. My husband took me for my birthday this week since we have never tried it and heard good things but this just was so opposite of my expectations.

We drive up and park and there is no sign saying restaurant this way or anything. We timidly walk in hoping we are not walking into someones house! Not a great way to start.

Once seated, we did not get a window seat so it was pretty hard to see the view. We were seated on the bench against the wall. It was so uncomfortable. I had to lean forward the whole time to not hurt my back on the lip on the wall. I ended up putting my elbows on the table half way through to balance myself. Ask for a window seat when making a reservation!

We were shortly handed a clipboard with a menu printed on graph paper. There were 10 items on it and only 3 were entrees. We had to pay 5 dollars for bread!! That is awful for such a high priced restaurant. I got the "eggplant, tomatoes, pecorino" YES this is how it is stated on the menu. When I got the appetizer it was missing the pecorino! I mean they plainly state what is going to be in it by the menu and you miss one of the items?? how is this possible??

Out of the 3 entrees 2 of them were fish!!! Bluefish and Black Sea bass. These 2 fish my husband catches all the time on the island so we were so disappointed that that was all we could order!! I ended up getting the braised beef and my husband got the fish. Both were awful. We could of cooked the fish better. ALso it was sliced lengthwise and you only get half the fish!! For that much money, that is outrageous. My beef was overcooked and on both of our plates the kale was all stems. You are suppose to cut those off. IT was just a disgrace. I would expect a lot more out of a restaurant of this standard.

BYOB is the best part of this restaurant. The view is nice if you actually get a seat that you can see it. I wouldn't recommend it here though.

3  Thank Jess A
Reviewed 24 September 2013

On September 14th I had the best day of my life at the Beach Plum Inn because I got married here. The Beach Plum Inn is truly a magical place! The sunsets, the food, the amazing staff and the adorable cottage rooms...who could ask for more? From the second I stepped on this property I knew I was at a special place. The event coordinator Kristen is quite a talented woman, I'm convinced she can do anything. The chef Chris sources local foods and makes it his own to make every bite taste like heaven itself. The staff here are amazing and wholesome people who know so much about the island and our rooms were cleaned everyday and adorned with fresh flowers from the garden :) Beach plum is the perfect blend of a rustic feel of being on Martha's Vineyard while having all of the best amenities and dining at you fingertips. If you want a wedding or vacation of your dreams...or even better stay here and you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Best views are from Evelyn's house, Morning Glory cottage, and upstairs suites from main house...
1  Thank Kelsey S
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We dined here and were thrilled...(mostly, see last paragraph). We were staying at the sister hotel, The Menemsha Inn and walked over to the Beach Plum Inn Restaurant expecting a mediocre meal. We were shocked with what we received - a delicious, fresh, well-thought-out dinner.

A few things to prepare you:

It is expensive ($32 for chicken with mushrooms, potatoes and parsnips) but someone has to gather those mushrooms and grow the gorgeous vegetables! However the portions were normal for apps and our entree was enough for the two of us to share.

Menemsha is a dry town so the restaurant is BYOB - plan ahead! There is a corkage fee. Restaurants make money on booze. A licensed restaurant sells a glass of $10 wine and profit approximately $6 a glass. If you buy a bottle the mark up is often 3x for a cheaper bottle and 2x for a more expensive bottle. So expect an $8 fee and know you are not getting taken advantage of.

The menu is small - three aps, three entrees. Awesome. The food has to be fresh if there is a tiny menu. When you dine at a restaurant with a large menu know that the food isn't nearly as fresh. It wouldn't be possible unless they threw away a ton of food each night.

We had a yummy beet salad with fennel and kale - fresh, light, delicate flavors.
The pea, goat cheese crostini was addictively delicious and full of olive oil and butter - it made it taste great but I knew how much fat I was ingesting.
Chicken with potatoes, mushrooms and turnips was amazing.

The only reason I haven't given the restaurant 5 stars was because they ran out of two of the three desserts that evening. So unbelievably sad (an frustrating). I was so excited to try the raspberry tart. This really affected our experience and was a bad way to end an otherwise incredible meal.

2  Thank FamilyVacationersMa
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was a smallish room (Dephinium) on the second floor of the main house. lovely view of the bay far below. The room had a terrace, but everythign was quite small. amazing noise level from the restaruant that is just below your room. from 10pm until someone in the restaurant staff screamed ("we are done") at 11:30, and another hour of noise as they were closing up. At 6:15am, tons of creaking from the morning cleanup and rearranging. a terrible, terrible nights sleep.
We ate at the restaurant. very small menu of latest offerings. but excellent fish, both of the ones we had! It was a pricy bill, and was refunded to us the next morning after my complete description of complaints to the rooms manager. She was suprised to hear that the room was noise. THe hotel should fore-warn people of their noise and do what they can to limit damage.

Room Tip: not in the main house
2  Thank mikez1299
bobnixon, Owner at The Beach Plum Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Dear Mike z,

Thank you for the feedback and very sorry our clamour ruined your sleep. Few things upset me more so I appreciate your politeness. Also glad you spoke up because, like the manager, the problem was not on my radar.

Chef Chris Fischer has made our Beach Plum Restaurant a runaway success and we simply did not think to pay attention to how that could disturb our upstairs guests. We are on it now.
Keeping the morning peace is easy, consider it done. The evening will be harder but already have a few ideas.

best regards,
bob nixon

Reviewed 3 September 2013

As we live in Chilmark and frequent the beach plum inn restaurant we were looking forward to our usual delicious meal under the guise of their new chef. We will not go back this season and hope for better food and service next season.
The views as usual are still beautiful. The food, well lets say that we should have left the building when we sat down and read the menu.
The salad was tasteless greens, the meal was greasy, room temperature and with large clumps of unedible fat that they called pork belly. It was accompanied by 2 tiny red potatoes floating in grease. The meat was $100.for just the meat!
I pointed out that the meat was barely warm, far from hot, so the waitress said, "what would you like me to do?" I requested that they reserve it hot please. 45 minutes later it came back lukewarm on top, under was not warmer. Obviously the dish was thrown under a heat lamp until someone remembered it. The dish was hotter that the meat.
There was a 30 minute gap between the finishing of our salad which is available for sale in a bag at cronig,s market and the serving of the lukewarm entrees. The service was terrible. I insisted that they serve us some bread while we were waiting and made sure to remember to ask for olive oil as I was certain it would come plain.
Also on the menu was a small whole chicken for 4 that is not cut up for $120.00, ala carte.
I have been eating there for 30 years, however this year has been the worse. Outrageous views, lousy service if you can get it and exhorbitant prices, even for the Vineyard. Mr fisher underestimates the sophistication of his patrons and thinks he can bamboozle them into supporting his badly executed farm to table concept.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Paul I
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We go every summer for dinner and look forward good (sometimes very good) food in a great setting. The setting is still great. The food and the service are currently poor. Initially, we thought the sparse menu might be hiding simple, well-executed dishes with lots of local fare. Wrong. Our starters (tuna crudo, a tomato salad, and a beet salad) were small, plain and utterly lacking in any culinary touches whatsoever. It was as though our server had to rush back in the kitchen and throw them on the plates herself. The mains, two fish dishes and a scrawny, lifeless piece of chicken, were small and the vegetable and potato garnishes made no sense either visually or taste-wise. Again we wondered whether there was actually a trained chef in the kitchen. The deserts were better but again this was family-style fare which we could have made in the kitchen with the kids. The service was laconic without being rude or poor. The bill came and we got close to $300 for three people. For this price would have preferred to rent the table, have them give us the food, and go into the kitchen ourselves to prepare it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank elisabeth l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menemsha
Mansion House
Pequot Hotel
Pequot Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Menemsha Inn and Cottages

Been to The Beach Plum Inn? Share your experiences!