“Not great, but not terrible”

Fairfield Inn by Marriott Plymouth Middleboro
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Middleboro
Kansas City
“Not great, but not terrible”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

First: the positives:

The staff is very nice and smiles a lot. The rooms were basic, but clean. The beds were comfortable. There is a laundry on site which my daughter used when she spilled something on her jacket. My husband had no complaints about the exercise room.

But I wished I had heeded the reviews on this site and the Expedia recommendation and booked the Holiday Inn Express which was in walking distance. We booked two rooms and one didn't meet the standards of a regular accomodation.

Avoid room 214 at all costs (except a deep discount). The king room is near the elevator and service access. That meant an "L" shaped interior with most consisting of a narrow hallway, an open closet, and the bedroom space at the end of the "hallway" that is only marginally bigger than the bed. The upholstered chair blocks access to the bed on one side. The room appears to be next to or above a staff area because we were awakened at 6am by muffled, by loud talking and laughing which continued until 8am.

The "hot" breakfast did not feature any of the quiches prominently displayed throughout the hotel, front counter and dining area as a "feature" of their daily hot breakfast. Instead there were prepackaged egg and cheese sandwiches, corn dogs and burritos in the mini fridge. Sigh. There were boiled eggs available on Sunday and Monday but not Tuesday. Another family purchased bacon and cooked their own breakfast in the microwave as we were checking out. The Belgian waffle station, however, was a hit with our kids.

Warning about their internet: Firefox gave us multiple warnings not to use the hotel's wireless connection because it was unsecure and couldn't be verified. I used iit for simple tasks and did not encounter any problems but asked my family to avoid logging on for tasks that involved passwords or confidential access. That's a big problem for a chain hotel.

I rated the hotel a 3 (tempted to do a 2) because I discovered that the metal plate on the door to my daughter's room was askew enough for someone in the hallway to see into the room. It was too tight for me to recenter on my own. I asked if a maintenance man could fix the metal plate which involved loosening a screw and moving it. The front desk attendant promised a quick fix. When we returned that evening nothing had been touched. So we stuffed paper in the hole in the door since it was our last night, but should have asked to be moved.

In light of a different hotel being sued for a similar problem (a celebrity taped through a hole in the door) I was surprised at the lax response.

Since our room rate actually rose in price for Monday and Tuesday I expected the hotel to at least meet the quality of the Holiday Inn Express which, based on photos, has a better interior, and a real hot breakfast.

Would I stay again? No. Too many other options available. My husband booked it because he's in the Rewards program and is accumulating points. We won't make that mistake again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank KCkidwriter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My sister and I came up from CT to go to King Richard's Renaissance Fair (which I highly recommend!) in the neighboring town of Carver and we stayed overnight at the Fairfield Inn. It was clean, fairly quiet, the lady at the front desk was very helpful giving us directions to both the fair and offering suggestions for dinner. Breakfast was awesome with lots of choices both healthy and not so healthy. Will most likely stay there again when I visit the fair next year!

Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 14 September 2010

As soon as I arrived, I pulled back the mattress covers. I've gotten into the habit of doing so and will continue to do so on every trip. Exposed covers revealed the mattress crawling with bedbugs. I immediately went to the front desk. They were apologetic. They offered me another room, but I refused and decided to press my luck at another hotel down the street. Thankfully that one didn't have any signs of bedbugs. Seems a shame as the hotel is generally clean and seems well-kept.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank lcche
New Jersey
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed at this Fairfield for several nights in connection with a sporting event. The hotel was clean and attractive. Rooms were spacious, clean and nicely appointed. The hotel staff was extremely accomodating. Knowing that most of the hotel was occupied by sports groups who needed to be out the door early Sat and Sun, they moved breakfast up an hour so that everyone could have breakfast before leaving for the day.

Located only a short drive from Plymouth, it is reasonable alternative to more expensive hotels closer to attractions.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2010

For a considerably lower price is the Days Inn - Middleboro, but when I stayed there July 2009 it was marginal in terms of cleanliness, musky odors in the room and halls, staff attitudes, etc. My Trip Advisor review for that hotel rated it barely acceptable for a very short stay, and other reviews after mine have not shown any improvement, so I did not do that place again this year.

This Fairfield Inn is a nice medium-price hotel located ca. 40 min. from the Bourne Bridge over to Cape Cod, not as expensive as some other comparable chain properties in the Middleboro area. Their website notes that this hotel was renovated recently in 2008. I paid a slightly lower price for a non-refundable rate, otherwise it would have been a bit more than expensive than I would have like to pay. What I got was a nice size, clean room with a king size bed, that included a microwave and small refrigerator. The bath shower head had one of the wide spray heads that seem to be more common these days, something that I like. The sink and counter is outside the bathroom, a convenient arrangement when more than one person is staying in the room, and all are trying to clean up and shower in the morning. The free WiFi worked OK for me, no problems getting online.

The free breakfast stuff offered was impressive and good, plenty of variety of cereals (hot and cold), bagels, donuts, muffins, waffles (make your own), yogurt, prepared breakfast-type sandwiches, fruit, etc., etc.

I may stay at this place again in the future, but it would be better if their room prices were somewhat lower.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Hartfield, Virginia
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The hotel has recently been redone, it's clean, everyone working there was nice.
We picked it because of the central location. About 45 min. to Logan Air Port, an hour to Newport RI and 1-1/2 hours to Plymouth MA.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
wellfleet
Reviewed 23 April 2010

In town for Easter at our daughters. We could have stayed with them on a blow up bed, but chose the Fairfield for a real bed and privacy. Thank God!!! Comfortable King bed and the pillows were good too. Room was nice and clean. TV was ok, hard to figure out the channels. lg dorm fridge and microwave. Good shower. The faucets in the sink were reversed hot/cold-kind of weird. 4th floor quiet, even though just off 495 and 44. Breakfast was excellent the next morning and the girl working the dining room was very courteous. We would probably stay here again if we had to spend the night.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleboro
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Middleboro Raynham
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#8 of 9 in Plymouth
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth

Been to Fairfield Inn by Marriott Plymouth Middleboro? Share your experiences!